Need A Different Cake Flavor!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm by fiddlesticks

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 55

Hey all, I am getting ready to make a cake for my son at the end of this month for his 7th birthday. I have been getting requests from people all last year for vanilla and chocolate and I'm tired of the same old flavors. I want to make something different and yummy that everyone will love and maybe even a cool frosting flavor too. Any ideas? I am going to attemp a lemon cake for my Moms 50th birthday next month so that's one different flavor, but I need more ideas. Thanks guys!!

54 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 55

I like to use Cherry Chip cake mix with my usual buttercream, with just a bit of cherry oil (Lorann's) added to the icing. It's a tad different from the usual chocolate/vanilla. It's a big hit here. icon_smile.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 55

You probably want scratch cake but my family loves my Duncan Heinz orange cake. I bake it in the Wilton fancifil pan. For the filling I make up orange jello, let it thicken and then whip it. Next I mix it with Cool Whip and fill the cake. I make a buttercream frosting that I add orange extract to make it zing.

Lemon cake with lemon filling with cream cheese icing.
Cherry chip cake with cherry filling.
Strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese filling.
Spice cake with apple filling with cream cheese icing.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 55

This is not exactly a flavor - but how about trying the Rainbowlishis cake. A cake made with 6 intense layers. It's beautiful and you could flavor with whatever you wanted. The pic and recipe is on this site.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 55

I have a delicous recipe for a strawberry cake w/White chocolate Buttercream. I recently did a wedding cake out of it and everyone loved it! Esp the kids!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 55

I find pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing is a favorite around here...

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 55

That lemon cake would be awesome with raspberry filling.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 55

its kind of a little chocolatey but a coca cola cake is amazing!!!!!!
i love coffee cake but its maybe not a kids kind of flavour. apple cake, or banana! is good, but maybe the kids wouldnt love it either. sometimes they just dont like things cause its new.
maybe you could do layers in different colours, even if u stick with vanilla, at least it will feel like something different!
xx

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 55

Coconut cake is my personal favorite. But if you wanted to perk up your vanilla cake recipe, add orange zest & juice and pumpkin pie spice for orange spice cake. I do this often and it is very tasty. You could also try something decadent, like chocolate cherry rum cake. (or leave out the rum if its for Children) or you could fill a chocolate cake with mocha mousse and fresh raspberries. YUM!
I have an awesome lemon cake recipe if you need one. (it's scratch - I dont bake with boxed)

BakerzJoy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 55

Wow, lots of awesome ideas. I would love any recipes for lemon cake. GayeG, I would love a scratch strawberry cake recipe. I don't have one! Please share! Keep the ideas coming, there all great!! Thank you!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 55

How about Neoplitan........
3 layers (a little less batter per pan)
Choc, Van, Strawberry.........

Everyone loves this presentation. You can bake from scratch or with boxed mixes.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 55

My family loves red velvet! Tastes great with cream cheese or buttercream frosting. My 3 yo son always asks for that red cake - he loves how red it is. That might be good for a 7 yo - different, but not way out there different!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 55

Peanut butter is a favorite for both adults and kids!

Peanut Butter Cake
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter     
2 pkgs butter cake mix
1 cup butter, softened       
1 1/2 cups coffee creamer
8 egg whites

Fill pans HALF full! It overflows if too full.

I use a filling that is Bettercreme blended with cheesecake pudding mix and crushed Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, but it's also great with chocolate fudge filling or raspberry pastry filling... oooh, I should try it with banana!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Peanut Butter Cake
2 pkgs butter cake mix
1 cup butter, softened       
8 egg whites

I use a filling that is Bettercreme blended with cheesecake pudding mix and crushed Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, but it's also great with chocolate fudge filling or raspberry pastry filling... oooh, I should try it with banana!

Oooohhhhh, that sounds good! What kind of coffee creamer do you use?

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Peanut Butter Cake
2 pkgs butter cake mix
1 cup butter, softened       
8 egg whites

Ok, Trying this today!! YUMMMMY!!!

BakerzJoy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 55

Okay, I've heard alot recently in posts about bettercreme, but could someone elaborate on it? I have no idea what it is and how it's different from buttercream.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 55

Ok Mel, where are you?

Bettercream is a non dairy filling and icing. It comes in 2 forms, liquid and pre whipped. The liquid is better. You can whip it up yourself and make it a million different flavors. here's the link

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-601193-0.html

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 55

I use vanilla flavored creamer and usually buy store brand or whatever is cheapest. But when it comes to other flavored coffee creamers, International Delight is by far better than Coffee Mate.

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #19 of 55

I too have never heard of Bettercream before. Is the taste (sweetness) any different?

My family doesn't like buttercream, they think its way too sweet.

We have at least 2 Birthdays each month from Oct. to May ('tis Birthday season!). I'm forever searching for new filling/cake flavor ideas as I don't want to have so many "repeats" that cake gets boring. We generally go through withdrawl come August (my Birth month).

Although this wasn't my topic, Thanks for all your great ideas!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Coconut cake is my personal favorite.

Do you mean coconut on the outside of the icing or coconut flavored cake? If the latter, how do you make it if you don't mine sharing your secret. I bet it would be killer with bananas in the filling, sprinkled with a little bit of cinnamon. mmm

I mean some day soon I will experiment with some coconut milk and see what happens but if you already have something...

sayhellojana Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Do you mean coconut on the outside of the icing or coconut flavored cake? If the latter, how do you make it if you don't mine sharing your secret. I bet it would be killer with bananas in the filling, sprinkled with a little bit of cinnamon. mmm

I mean some day soon I will experiment with some coconut milk and see what happens but if you already have something...

Actually, I have an awesome coconut cake recipe, if I do say so myself! It got second in the state fair. I can pm it to you. It is coconut cake and I decorate mine with coconut flavored IMBC and coconut on the outsides. It's so tasty. I usually fill it with coconut cream filling, but lemon curd is also good. I bet bananas would be great! Coconut milk bakes differently than regular milk. I learned that when "formulating" this recipe as Paula Dean would say.

sayhellojana Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #22 of 55

Oh, and bettercream is kind of hard to find. Some Walmarts or Sams clubs will sell you the pre-whipped stuff (mine won't) but you can buy a very similar product called Frostin' Pride at Smart and Final. I use it every once in a while when I'm in a pinch. You can add pudding mix, syrups, fruits, you should really read the thread linked above. Melvira is the bettercream fairy, after all!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Oh, and bettercream is kind of hard to find. Some Walmarts or Sams clubs will sell you the pre-whipped stuff (mine won't) but you can buy a very similar product called Frostin' Pride at Smart and Final. I use it every once in a while when I'm in a pinch. You can add pudding mix, syrups, fruits, you should really read the thread linked above. Melvira is the bettercream fairy, after all!

Cool yeah I would love the formula. I can get bettercream here no worries. We have a large Jewish polulation and the Kroger there has a nice section of Jewish foods. The bettercream has no dairy in it so it works for thier beliefs of not mixing dairy with meat. Which you probably knew that I'm just rambling on... icon_biggrin.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 55

i love all the great ideas for flavors!

How about cookies and cream with same buttercream? I'll happily share the recipe if you're interested. It seems like a flavor kids would enjoy.
And......I put 1/2 an Oreo on the bottom of each cupcake! If I think its a fabulous little surprise, a kid might really love it!.

Dreamsicle is amazing, althought I think someone described something similar. I dont use jell-o or cool whip, but im sure its in the same family.

Peanut butter and fluff? S'mores? PB & J? ( yes all in cupcake form!!)

I'd love to know what you decide to go with, but im sure it will be spectacular!

GL & HTH

Jess icon_razz.gif

BakerzJoy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #25 of 55

I love the cookies and cream idea. That sounds so yummy!! My son would love that. I wonder if I mixed some cookies into the frosting too, if that would be good or too much. So, far I love this idea and the neopolitan idea sounds uniqe and different. Thanks everyone! Keep em' coming!!!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #26 of 55

I use a cookies and cream filling for a lot of kids cakes. 1/2 buttercream, 1/2 marshmallow creme/fluff and crushed oreos. Its really yummy.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #27 of 55

For something different try coconut cake, add 2 Tbs Coco Lopez and 1 Tbs coconut flavor to yellow cake batter. This is a great cake with lemon curd filling and your choice of BC.

Sweet Potato cake w/cream cheese icing.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #28 of 55

It depends on how you want to make it, but not only do I put 1/2 an Oreo on the bottom of each cupcake, I also put crushed Oreos in the frosting.
I make buttercream and add vanilla coffee creamer.

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #29 of 55

[quote="k8memphis
Cool yeah I would love the formula. I can get bettercream here no worries. We have a large Jewish polulation and the Kroger there has a nice section of Jewish foods. The bettercream has no dairy in it so it works for thier beliefs of not mixing dairy with meat. Which you probably knew that I'm just rambling on... icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Can you get that at all Krogers in your area? I live over in Jonesboro, but come your way a lot. I would love to try some bettercreme...we don't have any places that sell it here.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

I have a delicous recipe for a strawberry cake w/White chocolate Buttercream. I recently did a wedding cake out of it and everyone loved it! Esp the kids!

Would you mind to share you recipe?
Thank You in advance. thumbs_up.gif

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%