Wanna Lose Weight? Calling All Chunky Monkeys!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm by TexasSugar

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #91 of 412

Phone idea is great Deb! I had a horrible day yesterday, but the day before that was picture perfect! I know it all evens out in the end but good lord I was craving everything yesterday and ate it too icon_sad.gif! Today's a better day....so far....wish me luck! I have been keeping a food log and so that's really helping me realize where I need to improve! Stacy--you do burn more calories while standing.....I just giggle sometimes when I picture you wrangling your darling little ones...you too TS. Little kids are such a kick in the pants--my "littlest" one turned 11 yesterday, but I like this age too--just preparing for the teen years just around the corner--YIKES!!!!!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #92 of 412

Love the roll call....will make sure to check in monday morning!!! My goal is to STICK to the weekly diet plan..and deviate maybe a bit on Sunday dinner ONLY...it is horribly cold and I do find myself reaching for a square of chocolate but then is when I go and get a nice lemon in the water drink! The green tea and hoodia arrived yesterday and I am starting today so please keep your fingers crossed for me, will let you know naturally how it progresses. I weighed in at 239lbs. this morning...Chunky Monkeys....GO GO GO!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #93 of 412

Thanks so much guys for your vote of confidence and your support. It really means a lot to me. Stacy, you're right, the emotional issues are real and until they are dealt with or at least understood, there is always a chance that they will sabatage all of our efforts and progress. I, like so many others am an emotional eater. Come time for celebrations or in sad times that cause a great deal of grief, my first thoughts turn to food. So, I know what sets me off. This month is especially difficult for me. It's bringing up so many memories of a loved one and so many questions that I don't have answers to. It's a stressful time and I KNOW this is what my problem has been. I turn to food for comfort. So, now that I know what causes me to try to destroy all of my progress, I need to figure out how NOT to let this happen. I will get back on track. I have no doubt about that and I will reach my goal weight but it's just a shame that I take so many detours to get there. I guess that I've won half the battle by being able to identify the problem. I can tell you exactly when I've strayed and why and when I probably will again. Now, I need to work on fixing it. I know that I'm not the only one who has this situation. I just wish that there were a quick fix to it. I'm just gonna keep on truckin and it will all fall into place at some point in time.... Thanks again guys for being there. What a great group we have here!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #94 of 412

Butternut, I think in the end the detours are going to be what helps us get to there. If this process was so freaking easy everyone would be skinny and no one would have to work for it. Dealing with it as we go, is what will help us become a sucess. The other option is surpressing it, losing weight, then having everything rear its ugly little head and gaining it all back again.

I'm not sure if any of ya'll are into Dr. Phil, but if you are I would check out his weight loss book. It talks the emotional issues that can sabbatoge 'diets' and can cause of eating issues. It may have some insight that will help you.

Monkess, I think I like the point where I want something that I know isn't worth it and am able to find something else is one of my favorites in this process. It shows that we are aware of what we are putting in our mouths, which is a big step towards a better weight.

Diane, I'm glad today is going better for you. I had a bad weekend myself and have been cracking down this week.

Deb, the phone idea is great. I don't carry my phone around during the day, but that would be a great option for dinner out than carrying a notebook with me. icon_smile.gif

I'm so ready for my parents to get back home. I'm baby sitting their two puppies this week and they aren't letting me sleep sound and for long periods at night. It's really frustrating to know you should have gotten 7 hours of sleep, and yet you wake up tired and moody.

Baby was clingy this morning which wasn't going with my mood too much. We managed a nice long nap though. She got 2.5 hours and I got a little under 2, so that was good. I think we both woke up feeling better. And her momma got of work early so she's already been picked up for the day. A 7 hour baby day was so nice compared to the two 11 hour days I just did.

Tonight I'm hanging out with a friend and I am going to enjoy that too so much. I have been so tired at the end of the day to really enjoy the time to myself. I really need that time to relax and just be. Tomorrow night I will be working on the little ones birthday cake (for Friday night). I really should work on it tonight, since I wanted to make a tiara, but we will have to see.

And now I'm trying to decide what I want for supper and if I want to go to the grocery store today or tomorrow. I have to go before doing the cake since I need eggs, cake mix, and powder sugar, but I won't bake it until tomorrow night. Guess I'm gonna go look through some healthy recipes to see if anything looks good before I go.

Just think everyone, the week is half over!

And since alot of us are emotional, mindless or bored eaters, why don't we all list some things to do instead of turnng to food? The ones I can think off the top of my head are...

Go for a walk or work out a bit. Takes your mind off food, and makes you feel good.

Do a craft or hobby that uses your hands. Knitting, crochet, sewing, scarpbooking... Something that would make it hard to eat while doing it.

Monkess Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #95 of 412
Quote:
Quote:

Go for a walk or work out a bit. Takes your mind off food, and makes you feel good.

Do a craft or hobby that uses your hands. Knitting, crochet, sewing, scarpbooking... Something that would make it hard to eat while doing it.

Good point! I find painting helps keep my mind off food so does reading a good book or playing games on the computer...the worst is sitting around watching tv-a sure calorie guzzler activity! thumbs_up.gif

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #96 of 412

Crafts are a big help for me. I especially like crochet in the evening when we're just hanging out. It doesn't require so much concentration that I can't enjoy watching TV, but it keeps my hands busy and away from my mouth. I also use those knitting looms - they are super easy to use and don't require too much concentration, so they are great for keeping hands busy while watching TV.

Reading is another great alternative - something just for fun, maybe revisit some old favorites that you haven't read in a LONG time. It's a nice way to get a little de-stress escape - especially if you pair that book with a nice cup of tea or some sparkling water with a spritz of citrus.

Mencked Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #97 of 412

Clean house, do anything physical--If I can just make myself start doing something physical instead of eating, it works, doesn't take long either to make me not think about eating something....I have trouble with the initial, "just do it" part of the diversion tactic.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #98 of 412

Wow, what a week it has been! By the time I got to last night I was so drained and completely worn out. I spent yesterday working on Olivia's Birthday cake, running out of time and not being to do what I really wanted on it. I was just so out of it Thursday night I couldn't even talk myself into starting it. I got it done and me and my nephew enjoyed the evening with my friend and her family. I was so ready to go to sleep last night when the time came.

Wednesday I did really well with eating. Too well infact since I was under 1200 calories at the end of the day. I hadn't added them up that night so I didn't know until Thursday. Thursday I had the same problem so a few hours after dinner I was looking for something to eat to fill in the gap. I stayed healthy though.

Friday was a different story. I didn't get up early enough before taking my grandma to eat breakfast I didn't eat for the first time until lunch time. Then I was stressing and trying to get the cake done that I didn't take time to eat after that. There were some nibbles of cake and some licks of icing. I ate at my friends so it is hard to do a calorie count when you don't know what all went in the food, but I kept my portions small, so I'm not too worried. And of course there was birthday cake. icon_redface.gif

Today I slept through the morning, so again I skipped breakfast. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to fix for me and my nephew for lunch. I also just got done making some chocolate chip cookies for my brother for his birthday. Darn that yummy cookie dough! Of course I am hungry, so that didn't help. As soon as those babys are cooled they are going in a bag and will be out of the house.

I'm not stressing out or really mad at myself for the cake nibbles, icing licks or cookie dough bites, because that isn't what made me fat in the first place. I'm sure they didn't help, but weight has been an issue for me since I was a kid, so I can't blame it on my hobby. I also know I did it more because I didn't take time to eat right the last two days. When I do eat Breakfast and Lunch and a snack I don't feel the need to nibble on other things as much. So that is where the real issue lies. Me eating times and portion control. And knowing that is half the battle, right?

Weekends are always the hardest for me eating wise, since my schedule isn't as set. I really wish I could talk myself into getting up early on Saturday/Sunday so I can eat breakfast, but I just really enjoy that sleeping in period. Plus I'm more of a night owl than a morning person, so I tend to stay up later on the weekends, pushing my get up and go time later in the mornings.

Over all I did really well with my goal of eating three meals plus snacks this week, until Friday hit. But hey, I got it right 4 out of 6 days. icon_smile.gif I also did well with planning my meals. I knew pretty much at the beginning of the day what my eating options were and stuck with them. I also kept my calorie count down. I did go over 1400 calories a few times, but I was under too, so it averaged out.

Now for the tricky part. My parent's get home from their trip tonight. Thankfully that means the puppies will not be spending the night again tonight. I'm so looking forward to only have a dog and a cat in bed with me rather than a dog, 2 puppies and the cat. But it also means that I'll have to work harder on my eating with other people around. This week I have cooked mostly single portions of food every night, with the exception of grilling the chicken at the beginning of the week. I didn't have alot of extra food laying around after I got my 'meal' and was I did was portioned for another meal the next day.

My mom has also said after this trip that she wants to lose weight. I'm really curious to see how into it she will be. I don't know that she is going to want to do what it really takes. I hope she surprises me and does, but I know that I have to focus on me first and try to help her second. I was talking to my friend about it last night and she was like don't let her be a diet sabbotager. And I can't. Even if no one else around me wants to lose weight, it doesn't mean that I have to remain the weight that I am.

My soon to be SIL has an eliptical (sp) that she is looking to sell. I've never been on one, so I'm gonna see if I have time to try it out one day next week when I pick up my nephew. I have room for it in my house, if I turn the extra bedroom into a work out room, and I'm sure I could get a decent deal on it if I wanted it.

Who here has tried them? Pro's and Con's? I have access to a treadmill, but atleast with the eliptical I would be able to do it with out having to go anywhere. Of course having a piece of exercise equipment in your home doesn't mean you will always use it either.

How is everyone else doing this weekend?

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #99 of 412

TS - I've tried an eliptical and they are a workout. Great for the glutes! When you get to try it out, go backwards for a bit and you'll see what I mean. I also have a friend who has one and loves it, especially because she has knee issues.

Well, my kids and I have "the crud" as we so affectionately refer to it. Lots of sneezing, coughing, fever, sore throat, etc. My son started with it Thursday night, by Friday afternoon I had it, and my daughter woke up in the middle of the night with it last night. My hubby has been my saving grace today, taking care of the kids and meals, etc. and letting me sleep.

Needless to say, eating has not been real big on my priority list the last couple of days. Oh well, momma said there'd be days like this.....actually she didn't. Ummm... icon_confused.gif

Hope everyone is doing well and I will do my best to be healthy for roll call on Monday. Hubby will be out of town M-F this week, so say an extra prayer for me that my kids are over it by then, too.

Gotta go get some more sleep now. Non-germy cyberhugs to all my Chunky Monkey girls! Gooooo Chunky Monkeys!

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #100 of 412

I know I'm a little late in the game but I would like to join!!! I have struggled with weight for many years. I am only 4'10" and I am very overweight! My ideal weight is around 110 and I am 197. I hadn't weighed myself in months and finally I made a decision that I was going to do something with my life. I am graduating with my bachelors degree in may and I want to walk proud across that stage and feel much more confident than I do now! I've been working out and eating about 1200-1500 calories daily since Jan 1st and have lost about 8 lbs!

Monkess Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #101 of 412

Welcome Chrissy! 8lbs in the new year?!!! WOW you are a welcome addition to Chunky Monkeys...yeah!! Good for you to set out a plan and actually getting on your way to achieving it, I remember my graduation, and how i had wished I was 20lbs. slimmer...oh well you go out there and wow them for me too!!!
On my front CM's I have been tying myself away from that scale and it has been HARD...so used to hopping on and off that this week was very challenging.
TS- I love an epiliptical but find it way to streneous for me, great workout if you can do it, I tire in a few minutes...I love my Curves workout...the hassle is motivating myself to go there when it is minus 25 outside! We have a treadmill and a few other gadgets at the house which DH was "supposed" to use, but all they do is serve as dust storage..lol..men and the $$ they waste...
So my CM's have a lovely Sunday, be good and dont cheat simply because tomorrow is weigh in!!! Love to all..Go CM GO!!!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:05am
post #102 of 412

Can you believe a week has already passed us by again? Time again for Roll Call Monday!

Mencked - Diane
EnjoyTheCake - Deb
Emrldsky - Jade
Monkess
k8memphis -
butternut - Margie
nanikins - Stacy
Sarah1952 - Sarah
TexasSugar - Tracy

Newest Chunky Monkey:
Chrissy410

MIA
Jammjenks - April
Sweettreats36 -
jbart - Karla
Kim_in_CajunCountry - Kim

Welcome Chrissy! Sounds like you have really gotten a great start to the near year! icon_smile.gif

My personal goals this week are to continue to work on my eating. Which is 3 meals 2 snacks a day and planning my meals. I will also work on adding in exercise this week.

Monkess Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #103 of 412

Monkess here!! Weighed in-exactly the same as last week....URGGGGGHHH! My goal is to crack the plateau even if by one more pound! And for that I am going to ge tback to writing in my food diary that helps me check those innocent squares of chocolate and bits of cake frop popping in! Hope everyone had better luck...keep at it chunkies!!! GO GO GO!!!!

Sarah1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1952 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #104 of 412

Hi All ! I do see 1 pound gone this morning. I was fine on Mon. & Tues...Then I got the cruds and was miserable until yesterday. When I did eat, I was more aware of amounts, so that worked. Today, I start back on my mile walk with Leslie. I have missed a few days. I apologize to anyone who has made comments to me this last week, but I was not up to anything. Hubby was home to help , as he is going into his 7th week of lay off. We are told , he will go back next week.
My daughter's birthday is on 1/30 and party is on the 31st..My mind is on her castle cake and I think I have it mapped out in my mind.
Will read over the posts in a bit later today.
Keep up the good work all and welcome to anyone that is new.
Sarah

Mencked Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #105 of 412

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad week last week--This one must be better--Goals this week-drink more water and walk!!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #106 of 412

Monkess your scale must have been talking to my scale. I weighed about the same as last week. I didn't weigh in as early this morning as I did last week. I also tend to always end up eating salty foods the night before weigh in.

But it is okay. There is always next week. icon_smile.gif And just remember one thing... Staying the same also means you didn't gain! Isn't that a positive thing?

I ate well for the most part last week, so I know I really need to add in exercise to help tip the scale into my favor.

Writing down what I ate last week was really an eye opener. I could see days where I ate a little more than I should have, and there were days where I could see that I wasn't eating enough food.

Good luck this week!

butternut Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #107 of 412

Hey guys. How's everyone's weekend going? TS, I don't know where in the world the time is going. You are absolutely right, seems like this past week just flew by..... TIME - please slow down, I'm getting old waaaaay to fast icon_rolleyes.gif
I still haven't weighed. Because I have been so bad recently, I've decided to give myself a break from the scales. Too depressing and I don't want that. I'm back on track but it's gonna take some time to get back to where I was mid December. It will happen. Just takes time and persistance.
Welcome Chrissy to the Chunky Monkey's group. Look forward to getting to know you.
Ok, guys, phone repairman is here, gotta go. I'll check back later.....

Sarah1952 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #108 of 412

Welcome Chrissy ! Glad you are off on a good start this year. This group is great and very encouraging. No beating up here for set backs..you just move forward.
Keep it up!
Sarah

butternut Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #109 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1952

Welcome Chrissy ! Glad you are off on a good start this year. This group is great and very encouraging. No beating up here for set backs..you just move forward.
Keep it up!
Sarah

Thank goodness. Otherwise, I'd have two black eyes right now!! icon_lol.gif

Sarah1952 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #110 of 412

LOL Margie...I think I would also have two black eyes and worse.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm
post #111 of 412

We are all here for postive support. We already beat up on ourselves way to much. We need our Chunky Monkey Sisters to keep things in balance. icon_smile.gif

chrissy410 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #112 of 412

Thank you for the warm welcome! I lost 1 lb this week. I hope it is because I am gaining muscle. I was a little disappointed because my diet and exersize has been right on track. I have been doing some form of cardio for at least 30 minutes for 6 days straight! I gave myself a break yesterday. I know it is going to be harder to exersize now that I start student teaching tomorrow but I bought a step and a DVD to do step aerobics at home. I do agree with TS that it does help to write what you eat down. I've been drinking only water for about a week and it does help too. I did buy some of those crystal lite powders you can add to your bottle so I don't go crazy with only water!

Monkess Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #113 of 412
Quote:
Quote:

I did buy some of those crystal lite powders you can add to your bottle so I don't go crazy with only water!

Love that stuff especially the lemon!
Texassugar- you are right about the not gaiining part- it could have been worse! Also I think my 3x a week workout does give me muscles and they do add on...I measure myself too, because sometimes we loose the inches and not the lbs...I lost 5.5" but gained 2" muscles so a net loss of 3"....yipeeeeeee!!! icon_biggrin.gif Be good everyone thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #114 of 412

Well I finally talked myself on to the treadmill tonight. I have a stuffy/sniffly nose so I wasn't feeling overly great all day. I decided it was now or never, though, for the walking. One day has to be the first day back on the treadmill and putting it off wasn't getting me anywhere. *sneeze*

I'm in my munchy hour and am trying to ignore the kitchen right now. I don't think I really want anything. Ate enough today that I shouldn't really need anything else. UGH!!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #115 of 412

I need a raincheck or maybe I've giving y'all a raincheck on my checking in this week 'cause my boy is home and I just got on the computer but I have been a good girl in that I've still had no sugar to eat since 2008!! icon_biggrin.gif

But since he's been home I have not been eating totally low fat and low carb. But my weight will still be there when he leaves and I'll get right back to it.

And the important thing is that I have had no sugar.

And we're all having a great time!!

Take Care, Guys. I'll catch up later.

L&P
Kate

chrissy410 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #116 of 412

I have one very big caution that I learned the hard way. I decided to join the National Weight loss challenge through discovery health channel. It comes with a "free" 30 day trial membership to ballys. Well, no sooner did I enter my phone number- and Bally's was calling me to schedule me for a "fitness" appointment. I thought, what the heck, I'll go and get all of my measurements and some advice from the experts and I could go for the 30 days and just continue my regimen at home after that. I went in and had to sign a waiver and go on a tour, then they took me into the sales office and interrogated me for almost 45 minutes on membership rates. I kept telling them I am a student, unemployed and can't afford a membership. They ended up with 3 men in there included the manager and assistant manager and they wouldn't let me leave. I know that I am overweight and I fully acknowledge that I am not in good health but they actually told me I was going to die if I didn't join because of my obesity. I have never felt that uncomfortable in my life and I walked out of there in tears. Just beware of any "free" memberships from there because they are NEVER free! I think they made me even more motivated that I CAN AND WILL DO THIS ON MY OWN!

Sarah1952 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:09pm
post #117 of 412

(((Chrissy))) What an awful thing! You know, I think I had heard of a few others saying that very thing about that health club a few years ago. When did this happen to you?
Just look ahead and say "This is my year!" It is not going to be easy for any of us here. But, we have a wonderful support with we sisters....You just hang in there and remember, we did not get overweight overnight. It takes one day at a time and small changes as baby steps.
We can do this.
Sarah

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #118 of 412

Kate, Hope you enjoy your time with your son! We will be here next week, don't worry. icon_smile.gif

Chrissy, I'm not a big one for rocking the boat, but I think after that I would be writting everyone at Bally's Corporate Office and Discovery Health Channel. Of course the most they would probably do is offer you another free membership, which I would tell them they could take it and shove it, but atleast people would know what happened. If your paper has one of those letters from readers sections, I'd write in there, so that people in the area know how the management at that gym treats people.

That was totally wrong that they treated you they way they did. I can understand them being concerned about your health, but if they were that concearned you would think they would work with you, rather than force you to join them. Stupid people! I hate 30 day free stuff, because they usually want some form of payment for the 2nd month before the first starts or a card number so they can start billing you afterward and harass you with.

You can do it with out them. It takes work and some creativity at times, but there are alot of things you can do outside of a gym to lose weight. You have a great resource at your fingertips. I have learned alot of information online from dieting help to exercise help. There are numerous exercises out there that do not involve work out machines.

Dito what Sarah said! Good luck and don't forget your 'sisters' are always here for help and support.

I ended up having a peice of cheese last night after walking. Sigh. It was low fat and didn't push me over my numbers too bad.

I did a 12 minute work out by Denise Austin last night before bed. It is in the Eat Carbs, Lose Weight book I have. It has 12 different things you do for a minute each that are suppose to give you a nice basic work out. Why is it the simple looking ones turn out to be the hardest? Ouchy!! I can say that I was working muscles even though it wasn't a break out in sweat kind of thing.

I want to start working out with the hand weights I have again as well. Need to sit down and plan my weekly work outs. I'm not a morning person so it is hard for me to talk myself out of bed to work out. I usually tend to have more energy in the afternoon and evening, but then my schedule often doesn't make that time the best work out time. Most times when I end up walking it is after 9 pm, which I am okay with, as long as I do it and not talk myself out of it. There are only so many hours in a day, and eventually "I'll do it later" turns into "I'll do it tomorrow."

I'm just hoping I can get over this stupid cold before it gets worse and drags on. I usually start the year off with one, but this year it is a few weeks late. And here I thought I was gonna be lucky and not have it. Hope everyone here is having a good Tuesday.

chrissy410 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #119 of 412

Thank you TS and Sarah! I actually think I might write in to the local paper to warn others about these terrible and intimidating sales tactics at the club. They don't seem all there in the Cust service area so I don't know that corporate would do much! I know it is going to take a lot of patience to get the pounds off and I have to realize that and be happy with those baby steps. There have been been so many times that I have just given up after hitting a plateau, but I've got a lot of support now and I really have a totally different mindset than ever before.

I just bought a resistance cord workout by The Firm. It comes with a DVD and I like it for an upper body workout so we'll see how that goes.

Sarah1952 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #120 of 412

Chrissy, Why not make a complaint with the better business bureau or you local state attorney? I'ld still complain to corporate and make myself heard.
When my hubby saw a TA hold our son's head down to the floor in his class, I was not quiet and wrote to everybody about it.
You have a right to be heard and it upsets me that a business would do this to someone.
Keep going when you hit a plateau. Your body takes time to adjust. You can do it.
TA, I had just got over a cold and wham! I am down again..I gave it to hubby and now we both have one. Hope you start feeling better also. I just do not have much energy and my head hurts.
I made me some homemade whole wheat egg noodles, put turkey burger and sauce in them and that is dinner.

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%