Airbrush At Michaels???

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 2:02am by Cakepro

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 17

I am sure everyone has been noticing all of the great coupons at Michaels this holiday season. I am in there almost daily cashing in on my 40% off's. icon_smile.gif

Does anyone know if there is a good airbrush machine there? I know there are some on the global sugar site and country kitchen sites. However, I would love to use my coupon if I can. icon_smile.gif

Can you use a regular airbrush machine or does it have to be specific to food?

Thanks!

16 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 17

I just called the local cake shop in town, and they said that any brand airbrush would work as long as you haven't used it for paint. Woo hoo!

So, if you guys have a Michaels coupon go use it! Also, if you don't have a coupon one will print out after you buy something.

Let me know if anyone else takes advantage of the offer.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 17

Yes you do want to make sure the airbrush is brand new and hasn't been used with unedible paints. BUT you also want to make sure you can change the amount of airflow on the compresser. If you can not adjust that it probably won't help you much, unless you are wanting to do all over coverage and not anything detaily.

Also remember the coupons are only a benifit if you really want or need what you are getting. I have to be careful because I find myself spending money on things that I probably wouldn't buy with out a coupon just because I had one. The point of the coupons is for them to get you in there spending money, and they are betting chances are you will see other things while you are there that you have to have.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 17
BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 17

Galler, thanks for the link!

TexasSugar you make an excellent point. I have certainly found myself going in there more than I would have intended. However, with me starting out caking...this is such a great opportunity for me to take advantage of.

I will probably need an airbrush gun at some point, right?

TexasSugar where are you at in East Texas? I went to school out there, and my mom is from a little town out East.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 17

I'm in Tyler.

And yeah you will probably use alot of what you are getting. When I was starting out I bought alot of shaped cake pans. Not the character ones but like the dino's and stuff. Those pans, even though I bought them on sale, haven't gotten used.

Of course the basic shaped sets I bought with coupons have been used many of times.

I see the buy buy buy alot with my students (I'm a WMI) and I can totally relate to it cause I did the same thing years ago. Now I'm a little slower about buying and tend to think about how often I will use something. Of course I have alot of things I have bought over the years that I have great plans for, just haven't gotten around to fullfilling those plans yet. icon_wink.gif

BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the advice. I have stayed away from the shaped pans, and just doubled up on some of the 6", 8", and 9". I can't stand baking one 6" cake at a time.

Some of the stuff that I have used my coupons on:
- Nice Wilton cake spinner
- Clay gun
- Fondant roller/cutter, with the impressions
- Wilton Flower tool kit
- 9" double set of pans
- 6" pan
- soon to be an airbrush gun. icon_smile.gif

Yikes...I didn't realize how much it has been adding up. icon_smile.gif I think I have taken care of my Christmas for this year.

I live in McKinney and went to school out in Commerce. My grandparents used to like in Lindale (hide-away-lake)...so I know Tyler fairly well. Also, work takes me out there ever so often to visit with Brookshires corp. office.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 17

Yesterday I got another airbrush at Michael's, (my DH, got one for me before) and I love it this is the one

http://www.asenashop.com/ivn/pr-0/12140.html

in Michael's the regular price is like $180.00 but I use the 40% off and it was the same price as the internet and I didn't pay shipping.

It is really nice.

Frankyia
[email protected]

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 17

Does anyone have any feedback on the brand of airbrushes that they sell at Michaels? They sell Badger. Also, would you need to purchase a compressor separately?

Blondiez, have you priced the ones at Michaels and decided on which one to get?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 17

Michael's doesn't sell a clay gun that's worth a crap. You want to grab a Hobby Lobby coupon and buy the Makin's Professional Clay Extruder. That one ROCKS.

Also, pony up the 50 bucks and buy Airbrush City's model GD100. I took a class from Bronwen Weber a few months ago on airbrushing and my Paasche (purchased from Hobby Lobby) was great for covering large areas but I needed the GD100 for detail work. I LOVE that airbrush!

Yes, you buy the compressor separately. I personally use the Airmaster Plus from KopyKake.

BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 17

Frankyola....thanks for the feedback! I am glad to know that you have bought one, and are a big fan! I hope I can find that one when I get to the store. Did you have to buy an air compressor for it?

Iroberts74...I haven't checked them out yet. I called the store today and discussed the different options. She said they had 4 in the store, and she told me about 3 of them (mind you it was the girl from the framing dept.). She said one was deluxe-$99, standard-$65, and basic- $30.

The basic and starndard are extranal mixers (whatever that means) and the delux is an internal mixer. I couldn't get much else out of her, because she didn't know anything.

BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 17

Wow, Thanks Cakepro for all of the helpful tips! I will take back my clay gun, because it does look to be a real 'piece'. They used to carry the Makin's extruder which I looked all over for, but they discontinued the item! Argh!

Also, thanks for the advice on the airbrush. Hopefully I can find the brands that you recommended.

Don't you love Bronwen? She did my wedding cake and is so sweet. Did you take a class up here in Dallas or did she go to Houston? I would love to take one one day...after I get my experience level up a bit.

BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 17

One last question...

Does the internal or external thing matter? I want to buy the nicest one that I can, but don't want to screw up on something that is major.

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:35am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

Here is a link to a 40% Michael's coupon...hope it works
http://sdm3.rm04.net/servlet/MailView?ms=MjI4ODU1NwS2&r=MTUxNDA5Nzg5NzgS1&j=NjIxNDQ0MTcS1&mt=1&rt=0

Awesome...thanks for the coupon link! Off I go to shop!!!

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:50am
post #15 of 17

I would also recommend buying one that uses the little cup on top of the airbrush instead of the jar at the bottom. That way you don't have to put your whole bottle of airbrush color into the jar in order to get it to go through. Also you can purchase an airbrush compressor that has the regulator on it at Harbor Freight. It is a tool store and they have them for $80 regular price. I got one at the Black Friday sale for $50. I personally bought mine from Airbrush City on Ebay. Check them out they are better on prices on ebay than they are on their website.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:52am
post #16 of 17

I got an air brush from the art store....you use a pressure can. I read someplace that it is not food safe....is that correct?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondiezBakery

Wow, Thanks Cakepro for all of the helpful tips! I will take back my clay gun, because it does look to be a real 'piece'. They used to carry the Makin's extruder which I looked all over for, but they discontinued the item! Argh!

Also, thanks for the advice on the airbrush. Hopefully I can find the brands that you recommended.

Don't you love Bronwen? She did my wedding cake and is so sweet. Did you take a class up here in Dallas or did she go to Houston? I would love to take one one day...after I get my experience level up a bit.

She comes to Houston several times a year. She's teaching a 3D reindeer class next weekend at the Cake Craft Shoppe here in town.

I forgot to mention that you can order the GD100 airbrush from www.airbrushcity.com.

Happy shopping!
Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%