Fondant Covered Cake Not Frosted??

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm by leah_s

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 8

I did a cake today that was fondant covered with bc fillings. I delivered and everything went great. My mom and dad were the photographers for the wedding (we were not attending) and my mom told me that the hotel staff pulled all of the fondant off of every layer and then made the comment "oh, it's not frosted". What do you think fondant is?? I was some what disappointed because there are at least a few people out there who actually like to eat fondant. I did crumb coat the cake with bc but obviously most of it came off with the fondant. Is this standard operating procedure for hotels and caterers and I have just been lucky enough not to have run into it before? Or do I need to start instructing the hotel staff when I leave that they should go ahead and serve the fondant with the cake?

7 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

You're right, lots of people DO like fondant, and it wasn't for the hotel staff to make that decision for them. Fondant also completes the look of each slice of cake.

You must be quite mad about this - I know I would be. For next time, perhaps you should leave full, detailed instructions on how to store and serve the cake. Last weekend I took a fondant party cake into a pub where the party was being held, and the guy behind the bar said "Oh, just leave it with me - I'll put it in the fridge." I almost yelled "No! This cake mustn't be refrigerated!". He was genuinely confused, like he'd never heard of such a thing!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 8

Yah, I've heard many hotel staff servers do this. DisneyWorld servers do that. Maybe they saw/heard about themicon_sad.gif
We will never convert people to fondant when waitstaff does this!
I definately would try to instruct hotel staff but don't hold your breath that they will follow your instructions icon_sad.gif

Why do they think they have to decide if people will eat it or not? Why can't they just leave it up to each person to decide that?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:39am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caincakemaker

my mom told me that the hotel staff pulled all of the fondant off of every layer and then made the comment "oh, it's not frosted". I did crumb coat the cake with bc but obviously most of it came off with the fondant. Is this standard operating procedure for hotels and caterers and I have just been lucky enough not to have run into it before? Or do I need to start instructing the hotel staff when I leave that they should go ahead and serve the fondant with the cake?

Actually fondant covered cakes usually do have a layer (not just crumb coat) of b/c underneath (to help smooth surface) and just in case the recipient wishes to pull off the fondant and enjoy the b/c solo.

Is fondant removed from cake prior to serving:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-323113-.html

HTH

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 8

So here is the beginner question I have: It seems like if I get the crumb coat or underneath the fondant coat too thick it is more likely to make my fondant bubble up. Does that make sense, what am I doing wrong? I guess bubbles are ok, if you can get rid of them, but that is more work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 8

Fondant bubbling (sometimes called 'cake farts' hehe) is probably because you didn't use enough pressure to adhere the fondant to the cake. You have to smooth it well. OR it could be you used too much pressure and dislodged/moved the b'cream under the fondant. It takes practice to get it just righticon_smile.gif

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:23am
post #7 of 8

But if you add a thicker layer of buttercream after the crum coat, wont just all of that 2nd layer of BC just slide out the bottom of the cake as you smooth the fondant on?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 8

Not if you chill the cake with the bc prior to applying the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%