Buttercream ?

Decorating By bchristianson17 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm by bchristianson17

bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 10

I made buttercream today and I don't really know how its supposed to taste, but it tasted waaaay too sweet and artificial to me. I used shortening and butter in the recipe and i feel like it might be the shortening, because of the plastic-y taste. Any help?? Thanks!!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 10

Boy that's hard to say. My feeling is cake & icing are *suppose to* be sweet. It's a desserticon_smile.gif
There is at least one recipe in the recipe section that says it is less sweet.....you might give it a try.
Did you add salt? It helps a bit to cut sweetness.
Actually it would help if you posted the exact recipe you used so we can see if there is anything we can suggest.
What brand of shortening did you use? If it gave off an off flavor it might be that you need to use Crisco.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 10

What recipe did you use? I really like the Buttercream Dream recipe on here. My friend makes a BC that has that plasticy taste...I'm not sure what it is. And yes, most BC's are super sweet. Did you add some salt to your recipe? I hear that "cuts down" on the sweetness some, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 10

THere's no such thing as too much vanilla and most recipes I see don't have near enough vanilla in it. (Vanilla is my FAVORITE flavor!) Maybe it just needs kicked up a notch flavor-wise.

And I'm with kakeladi ... it's icing; it's made of sugar; it's suppose to be sweet!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 10

Here's a link to different frostings with descriptions of each type:
(Also has handy frosting troubleshooting chart on last page.)

http://tinyurl.com/yh44gu

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meringue b/c's (and other frostings):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

Hi-ratio b/c recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608700-.html

HTH

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:05am
post #6 of 10

As others have already mentioned, Buttercream Dream is a bit less sweet to me, but in general, all American type of BC's are pretty sweet due to the high amount of powdered sugar that's incorporated into the 'mix' to give it substance. I find that the European (meringue) BC's are less sweet, but they are very buttery in flavor. So I would suggest experimenting to see what you like and prefer.

Besides adding a bit of salt, adding some citrus extracts (lemon or orange) along with vanilla can also help cut back on the sweetness. A hint: to help prevent any salt graininess, I use popcorn salt, which is very fine. HTH

bchristianson17 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, I understand it's supposed (<--the correct spelling) to be sweet. I didn't set out to make potato chip flavored cupcakes.

But anyways, I did use Crisco and I followed the directions, but maybe I'm just not meant to like buttercream. I haven't tried fondant yet though, is that as sweet?

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 10

I find that most buttercream icings calling for powdered sugar are intensely sweet. (But I have a HUGE sweet tooth, so I LOVE it that way. icon_razz.gif ) Anyway, last year I made Buttercream Dream, from CC's recipe section, for my mom's birthday cake and EVERYONE loved it! They said it was one of their favorites that I have ever made for them BECAUSE it was NOT too sweet. Have you tried that recipe yet? If not, I think you should try it. You may be pleasantly surprised. icon_smile.gif

P.S. This is for powdered sugar based recipes. If you try a SMBC or IMBC, you will find that they are less sweet and have a lighter, airier texture and taste. Good luck to you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 10

........it's supposed (<--the correct spelling) to be sweet......
So sorry in my attempt to help you out I had a typo. I'll certainly try harder to not make any mistakes. But then I have never been a good speller! icon_sad.gif

bchristianson17 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you SO much for all the help!! And no offense to anyone that I corrected the spelling, it's just that typo's stick out to me like a sore thumb. Believe me, I'm not great with grammar, but spelling has always been a strong subject for me. I'm sure I've written things on here that if showed to an English teacher, would be full of red marks.

Anyways, I will be doing more experimenting and hopefully get some great results!! Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%