Question About Fondant Figures?

Decorating By irishbren Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm by kakeladi

irishbren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishbren Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:38am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I made an Elvis cake last weekend and the woman wants to preserve Elvis. Does anyone know if the figure can be sealed with a spray sealer? Or what I could use, if anything? Here is a pic of the cake. Thanks for the advice!
Okay, I think I figured out how to post the picture...lol!
LL

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:28am
post #2 of 7

Hi, your cake and the figure is fantastic. Have you done the figure with fondant or gumpaste? If its gumpaste, you need to put it in an airtight box and have to keep away from direct sunlight. I still have some of my figures, which I made few years ago.

irishbren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishbren Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:59am
post #3 of 7

Hi Bashini~
Elvis is made out of fondant...I have never tried to work with gum paste before, and just recently started with fondant.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't done any of my figures with fondant alone. Sorry I'm not a big help. See what other members suggesions are.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 7

I've heard you can save your figures, but I think they have to be done in gumpaste.

I have a question....if you get BC on your figures, how do you get it off so you can preserve your figures or is there no hope and you have to throw them away.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 7

You could shellac (varnish) it if you wanted with confectioners glaze.

Should keep for a good while as is though!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 7

To get any b'cream off the figure, just wipe gently with paper towels.

To keep allow it to dry for several weeks. Then put a glass or clear plastic jar or such over it and keep it out of sunlight and moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%