Sps Instructions

Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 7:04pm by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #211 of 586

[quote="mrs_smith"] Try the second one - that's how it worked for me.

Will it work for a cake that is a combination of stacked and tier? How would you do that?

And have you tried it for cakes less than 4 inches? Do you just cut the legs up like when using the 9 inch legs? [/quote]

Yes, of course SPS works for both stacked and separated construction, or a combo.

For the stacked construciton use the GC-4S legs. For the Separated construction use the multi-piece legs that come with a 5" main lg and 2, 2' extensions. use one 5" leg plus one 2" extension. That will produce a 3" airspace between the cake tiers, IMO the perfect proportion.

And yes, I've used SPS on 2" tall tiers (part of the design) and just cut the 9"ers down. A portion of the 9" legs are scored in 1/2 inch intervals so its easy to know where to cut.

Remember though, that you'll need a handsaw and vise, miterbox and saw or a chop saw.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #212 of 586

Hey Leahs,

I tried the second link and got error 404. I tried several times. Is it my PC?

Benisha

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #213 of 586

I've tried it too, and I get the same error. The first one isn't a link at all, the second one, I just get an error.

Could you re-post?

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #214 of 586

Wesha and mgwebb68: Sent you both a copy via PM.

Wesha Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #215 of 586

thank you so much, the link again is posted below.

http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm
post #216 of 586

kyhendry, thank you for sending still couldn't get it to work. Ugh! I've read the instructions before, didn't save them though and haven't used the method so I don't want to trust my memory.

Wesha - thank you - the link you posted works! Yeah!!!

Wesha Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #217 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I guess I'll answer my own question!! The warped plated did not matter as I just held the plate tight and made sure to push the legs in straight. The system worked beautifully and I was so impressed with it! I didn't have to worry about the tiers not being straight and it was so secure delivering it! Thanks Leahs!!

cathyscakes: I don't have an agbay but my tiers were well over 4 inches (close to 4 1/4 inch) by the time I torted them - I didn't have any problems with them being higher.

Did you use the 4 inch columns too? The cake that I am making will be over 4 inches because the pans are 2 inches tall plus filling. That would put them over 4 inches so I was wondering if the 4 inch columns would work?

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #218 of 586

1. Check your pans. Some Wilton pans aren't actually 2" deep. Some are, some aren't.

2. Once you trim and level your cake layers likely won't be 2" tall.

3. Yes as long as you don't go over 4 1/4 inches, you'll be fine. *Remember* to remove the collars.

Wesha Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:11pm
post #219 of 586

thanks Leah's. I have my first official wedding cake next Sat. I am going to order SPS and pray that it makes it to me by Friday of next week.

kirasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirasmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #220 of 586

One tip. I use to work at a store bakery that used the SPS system on all of our wedding cakes. If you are worried about your cake not being 4", you can order the ORIG STYLE WHITE 1PC COLUMN W/ COLLAR from Oasis Supply. The columns come with easier to cut sections so that you can cut the column to the length that you need it. So if your cake is not exactly 4" you can still use the system.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #221 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

1. Check your pans. Some Wilton pans aren't actually 2" deep. Some are, some aren't.

2. Once you trim and level your cake layers likely won't be 2" tall.

3. Yes as long as you don't go over 4 1/4 inches, you'll be fine. *Remember* to remove the collars.

What do you mean by "collars"? I've not heard that regarding cake before. Thank you.

czymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czymom Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #222 of 586

This info is great. As soon as I read this I just had to order. I should be getting my order tomorrow. Yay

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #223 of 586

The collars come on the plates. You pry a spatula or knife under them to get them off. I hate that they come already on the dang plate.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #224 of 586

Thank you, Leah! This is very helpful!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #225 of 586

Leah have you ever used SPS with the super tall tiers. I need to make an 12 in round cake that is 8 inches high (basically 2 cakes stacked on top of each other. I know I would seperate them as 2 cakes for serving purpose but my thought is this. The SPS plates are just slightly larger than the cake itself. If I put a 12 inch plate in the middle of my super tall 12 inch tier won't it poke through? Have you ever done the super tall tiers with SPS? Just curious what solution you found to be best.

leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #226 of 586

I haven't designed a super tall tier. I did include a 6" tall tier once, and just used the 9" legs, cut down.

I think what I'd do, though - and you'll need to visualize this, is:

assume a 10" bottom tier and a super tall 8" tier above.

Assemble the 10 tier on the bottom plate as always. Push the 8" plate and leg assembly into the 10" cake.
Put the bottom half of the super tall on an 8 inch cardboard. Put a 6" SPS plate and leg assembly into the 8" tier.

Prepare the top half of the super tall on a 6" or 7" cardboard. Place on the "receiving" SPS plate that's sitting on the bottom half of the super tall. Ice the supertall.

Place it on "receiving" SPS plate (that's sitting on top of the 10 tier.)

I've had the comment that the SPS plate are bigger than the cake a couple of times in the last week. I've been using SPS for years, now, and I've never experienced that. The SPS plate is the same size as the cardboard and smaller than the cake once its iced.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #227 of 586

Hi Leah,
Thanks that makes perfect sense. I use Magic Line pans so I don't think my cakes are shrinking but both my boards and my SPS plates are always just a bit bigger than the cake itself. Once iced I think you're right that it fills in the space. I need to work harder on getting a consistent thickness of icing around each of my cakes so that I can make sure that it's always to the edge of the plate. Thanks for the tips. I adore SPSicon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #228 of 586

I've found the large icer tip to be very helpful in getting a consistent amount of icing on the cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #229 of 586

Just want to say, I'm constructing another large cake right now, with SPS.....gotta get it! If you are concerned about price, you can use it a couple of times before the collars weaken. Or work it into the price of your cake! Not kidding here, you really should try it just once....you'll be amazed!

This has been an SPS endorsement....you may now return to your straws and dowels. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #230 of 586

Actually, not the collars, but the little grippy "teeth" inside the collar. They don't snug right up to the columns after the first washing. Someone saved a set a few weeks ago for me and I figured, eh, what the heck. Washed them out and used them again. I probably wouldn't use it more than twice. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #231 of 586

Yeah, I've reused. It works.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #232 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Just want to say, I'm constructing another large cake right now, with SPS.....gotta get it! If you are concerned about price, you can use it a couple of times before the collars weaken. Or work it into the price of your cake! Not kidding here, you really should try it just once....you'll be amazed!

This has been an SPS endorsement....you may now return to your straws and dowels. icon_biggrin.gif

Hear ye, hear ye, I endorse this endorsement!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU SHOULD TRY SPS ~ BEST THING E-V-E-R!!!!!!!!!!
You will be kicking yourself for not trying it before now!!!!!!!!!!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #233 of 586

I have a queston about the "swoosh" sound. Is it a definite sound that you hear? I'm pretty sure my board hole was on the peg, but I didn't really heard a sound when I "dropped" the cake. What am I doing wrong? I've only used the 8" & 6" plates so I was wondering if it is more prominent on bigger cakes?

leah_s Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #234 of 586

The sound is tiny. Sometimes you hear it. Don't stress. Probably mostly my weird sense of humor.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #235 of 586

Whew! I was thinking I should be hearing a big suction sound & when I didn't I was nerous

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #236 of 586

Leah, what are the collars for? I saw one post suggesting a use for them once they're removed (glue to the underside of the bottom board to create an airspace for your fingers to make lifting the cake easier). But what is the manufacturer's thought in putting them there in the first place?

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #237 of 586

Aren't they for decorative purposes if the columns are exposed?

leah_s Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #238 of 586

Jamie's correct. When you have a cake with a separation leave the collars on - much prettier!

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #239 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Someone on here figured out a way to do it, but I didn't totally get it. I tell all my clients, "There has to be an inside border to hide the construction."

Without going thru every dang post from here to the end....was this ever resolved? Because I can tell you exactly how to get a perfectl perfect seamless, no border required edge. icon_smile.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #240 of 586

Well, do tell already!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%