Sps Instructions

Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 7:04pm by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #181 of 586

I just mash down on whatever part is high. icon_smile.gif

And by mash down I mean push on that part of the SPS plate.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #182 of 586

FINALLY! A caking term I truly comprehend...."MASH DOWN".
Thanks, Leahs.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #183 of 586

I've tried downloading this, and I keep getting an error (even after omitting the double media.cakecentral.com).

Can anyone provide an alternate link, or would anyone be so kind as to email it to me?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #184 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

I've tried downloading this, and I keep getting an error (even after omitting the double media.cakecentral.com).

Can anyone provide an alternate link, or would anyone be so kind as to email it to me?

Email me and I'll send it to you. I need an address ... still can't figure out how to attach a document to a CC email.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #185 of 586

I just want to thank Leah for sharing so much information, to Veronica, for giving the right link, I have learn so much on SPS. I am ready to give it a try.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #186 of 586

Leahs, you mentioned that you use the multipiece leg (not the GC9). In oasissupply I only see the 9" MULTIPIECE FROSTED COLUMN ** 1 DZ/BOX (Item #: BC GC10S). In globalsugarart, they have Grecian Column Multi-piece 9 inch (12 pack) by Bakery Crafts (Product ID #21161). I don't see any that have 5inch and 2inch parts. Which ones do you use?

Thanks for your help!

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #187 of 586

The Multi-piece 9 inch IS the set that comes with 1, 5" leg, + 2, 2" extensions. (That's why it's called 'mult-ipiece'.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #188 of 586

Ok, I had a brainfreeze there...lol. I thought the longer piece in the set was 9 inches. Thanks for the clarification.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:55pm
post #189 of 586

I used SPS for the first time today in my first three-tier cake. It worked great, but I didn't make the tiers tall enough so I had to cover the bottom edges of the tiers with ribbon. I transported the assembled cake with no problems.
Thanks, leahs, for all your help and advice.

maam1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maam1993 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #190 of 586

thanks, leahs, for the sps instructions.

Maam1993

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:23am
post #191 of 586

I'm trying the SPS tomorrow for the first time with my first wedding cake. I'm not nervous about it because of everything I've read but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this - the square plates (8 inch and 10 inch) are actually warped a bit (the centre of the plate bows upward). I think I can put enough pressure on the board when I stick it into the cake so that the legs will go in straight but when I put the legs into the plate on its own, the legs are definitely not straight. Has anyone else had this problem and should I be worried?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #192 of 586

I just received my agbay leveler, and she told me to not even worry about getting the filling precise, she said to just level the whole stacked cake to 4" height, have you tried that, I have the sps, haven't tried it yet,and I was worried about getting it exactly 4" tier, with the fillings throwing off the height, have you tried this method.

cherrycakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #193 of 586

I guess I'll answer my own question!! The warped plated did not matter as I just held the plate tight and made sure to push the legs in straight. The system worked beautifully and I was so impressed with it! I didn't have to worry about the tiers not being straight and it was so secure delivering it! Thanks Leahs!!

cathyscakes: I don't have an agbay but my tiers were well over 4 inches (close to 4 1/4 inch) by the time I torted them - I didn't have any problems with them being higher.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #194 of 586

cherrycakes, I noticed that too, the legs were not straight when I put them together, I haven't used it yet, so its nice to know it still worked o.k. thanks

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:03am
post #195 of 586

Ever since I had a horrible disaster last year, I've been using SPS, thanks to Leahs! It is so 'idiot proof' (even for me!) that I can confidently transport cakes long distances away without having to worry about them sliding or collapsing. As long as you follow Leahs instructions to the letter, you'll be fine.

michealjackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michealjackson Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #196 of 586

It's really great. I like it very much.
Thanks for the feedback. That is very useful.
plan solution commission de surendettement - commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.plan solution commission de surendettement

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #197 of 586

On the sps printout it looks like you use cardboard also? In a couple of weeks I am doing an anniversary cake. It will be 14 in square on the bottom. (4 in) high and 9 in circle on top (4in high). I am wanting to use the sps for this to make sure it doesnt move! I was going assemble at the party but I need some helpful input!! Thanks so much!! Do I put a sps on the bottom tier?

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #198 of 586

You have to use the cardboard so that you can pick up the cake and move it onto the SPS plate. Otherwise you'd have to put your hand under the cake itself - not a good idea.

I don't understand your final question. The SPS plate and leg assembly goes into the bottom square tier and will hold up the 9" round tier.

cayleigh Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #199 of 586

Thanks Leah you answered my question. So would you suggest I get just a 9" round to stick down in the 14" square? Would the pegs just rest on the bottom tier cardboard? Thanks so Much! YOu can email me

leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #200 of 586

Yes, you purchase the same size plate as the cake. In your example, 9". The legs or columns (not pegs) rest on the bottom board or cake drum.

Since very few local stores carry this system, be sure to order in advance.

And just for the record, SPS is the brand name product from Bakerycrafts. It's not a generic name that refers to just any old single plate system. SPS works!

cayleigh Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #201 of 586

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #202 of 586

Leah_s, I am Canadian and on the second page of this forum someone mentioned an online store for Canadians. I almost ordered then I thought....do these look right? These pegs look a lot smaller around then the ones at Global Sugar Art. I will attach the link so you can look at it and let me know what you think. Also the separator plates are all scalloped. I want it to be unseen.
What do you think?

https://www.homeprobakersupply.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=256&idcategory=78

Kerry

leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #203 of 586

ACK!! Those are Wilton plate pegs and are completely useless. Also Wilton makes the scalloped edge plates.

BakryCrafts is the manufacturer. Lots of times the inventory number will begin with "BC."

Step away from the Wilton stuff, Kerry_Kake.

cherrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #204 of 586

Kerry_Kake - I purchased SPS from L & M Bakery Supply in Toronto (the link on page 2). They have a minimum order so I purchased more than I needed but I am so glad I did. I made my first wedding cake, a 3 tier, and using the system was so easy and made the cake solid. I will never fear another tiered cake using this system.

Kerry_Kake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #205 of 586

cherrycakes, I'm confused....when I type in L & M Bakery Supply on google it comes up but you can't order anything unless you click on the link that goes to www.homeprobakerssupplies.com and that is the link I posted that Leah is telling us to stay away from.
Do you use that anyway? It just has little pegs and not the legs. icon_confused.gif

cherrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #206 of 586

Try giving them a call - 1-800-465-7361. Apparently they don't give out catalogues to individuals but I received one when I got my SPS. I initially contacted them through email but then I dealt with one person (I think Marilyn) who helped me with my order. We did have to make a few calls back and forth but keep trying if that happens.

And no, definitely do not use the one with the little pegs - I think that goes with the Wilton set and the SPS is much much better.

Kerry_Kake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #207 of 586

Oh ok, thank you very much cherrycakes!! icon_smile.gif

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #208 of 586

Hi

Im new to this site and I'm learning alot. I'm having trouble pulling up this tutorial. I try to right click then left click but that didn't work. Can anyone help?

mrs_smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs_smith Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:38am
post #209 of 586

Try the second one - that's how it worked for me.

Will it work for a cake that is a combination of stacked and tier? How would you do that?

And have you tried it for cakes less than 4 inches? Do you just cut the legs up like when using the 9 inch legs?

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #210 of 586

Yea!!!!! That worked! Thanks for your help I didn't even notice the other link. I guess I was to excited to learn icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%