Please Help I'm About To Flip The F#%@ Out!!!!

Decorating By ali79756 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm by fondantgrl

ali79756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali79756 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 27

ok i am going to be baking a square wedding cake the sizes are 12x12x3 (5 of them) and 8X8X3 i know for for the 12x12x3 i have to use a heating core but i just baked one for practice and the cake keeps falling in the middle even with the heating core im having the worst trouble with these square pans please someone anyone please just help me i dont know what to do im so stressed this wedding cake will be due for saterday...... oh and yes they care new pans and they are 3inch deep....
thanks
alisha icon_cry.gif

26 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 27

stick a couple flower nails in there......I never use a heating core, I just did a square wedding cake 6,8,10,12,14 " cakes and I didn't use a heating core for ANY of them, just flower nails....I think I only used one, but you could even do two if you've got them. Just stick them in there with the flat side down (give em' a spray with a non stick cooking spray first) nestle them down in the batter til it hits the bottom. I bake my cakes at 325 degrees and my 12" square took like 40 min. with one flower nail in the center. HTH
ARe you sure your cake was fully done when you took it out?? If not that can cause it to fall in the center.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 27

Get rid of the heating core and bake them using metal flower nails placed upside-down in the pans. Use three or four separated evenly in the pan and it might help. If it keeps falling it might be a problem with the batter...Are you using a mix or baking from scratch?

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 27

i had the same problem with my heating core, what i waste of money it was!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 27

I third using the flower nails in your cakes instead of a heating core. In a 12 inch square I put 2 flower nails in it while baking.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 27

I have never in 40+ years of baking used a heating core nor flower nails. Thesinking in the middle sounds like you're not baking long enough. Do turn your oven temp down to 300 or 325.

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 27

I agree with the flower nails. I've done a few 12" pans with only one flower nail, and it works well. I do turn the temp. down at least 25 degrees though, and they usually take 15 minutes longer (at least) to cook than what the recipe says. Pay close attention to the very center of the cake when you turn the light on and open the oven door. If the cake ripples or jiggles at all when you open the door, you're going to need at least 10 more minutes (I guess that varies with the temp. and type of oven you're using). Chances are, if you care as much about this cake as it sounds, you'll probably do all that it takes to make it amazing. Good luck, and don't worry: we all pull our hair out over at least one cake along the way.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I have never in 40+ years of baking used a heating core nor flower nails. Thesinking in the middle sounds like you're not baking long enough. Do turn your oven temp down to 300 or 325.

Ditto

Jibbies

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 27

I have a 10 x 10 sq pan which I use all the time with 2-3 fl nails with no trouble. Like leahs & jibbies said, turn the temp down a bit. And remember: Never open the oven until you smell cake!! icon_lol.gif (Don't ask how I learned this icon_surprised.gif

ali79756 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #10 of 27

thank u all so much for all the advise i am so greatful...... but when using the flower nail will it stay visible on the bottom of the cake when flipped over? and one more ? how long do u guys say i should bake the 12 and 8 inch for? sorry i am new to this square pan thing.. thank u all again so much!!! i felt like i was going to loose my mind..... icon_confused.gif

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #11 of 27

If the nail is put in the pan b4 the batter, & the head stays attached, the you will see it when u flip over your cake.
The pan should have instructions on baking time/temp to use as a guideline. The more you reduce the temp, the longer it has to bake. (At 300 degrees, it could take as long as an hour.. right debi?)

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Quote:

Ditto

Jibbies

I triple this and I always bake at 325. I don't think I have ever had a cake sink in the middle whether it was from scratch or mix. Knock on wood!!

My only suggestion is lowering the temp and baking it longer.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #13 of 27

i agree with leahs.... i have never in 13 years used a heating core or flower nail..... lower the heat and bake longer... works great... start checking when it is close to time... put back in oven if it isn,t done in the middle... bake a litte longer... watch it closely...

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #14 of 27

When I use a flower nail for my larger cakes I put it in the pan before I put the parchment paper down. That way the only part of the nail in the cake is the spike part. When I turn the cake out of the pan I give it a twist and it pulls out easily. I bake my cakes at 325. If you're doing chocolate they always seem to take longer to bake.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #15 of 27

Also check your cake with the "toothpick test" AND your hand. Just tap it with your finger, see if it is firm. The toothpick lies sometimes, I'm tellin' ya!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #16 of 27

Great advice so faricon_smile.gif In 28+ yrs never used nail or heat core.
I bake at 300 degrees. It can take as long as 60+ minmutes. Now.....don't go strictly by time......
Use it only as a slight guide....instead, they are done when you can smell it! icon_smile.gif
If the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan it is probably overdoneicon_sad.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #17 of 27

Another thing you can try is even though you are using a 3" pan, fill it like a 2" pan and bake 2 of them instead of 1.

I use 3" pans and am seriously considering buying a set of 2" sizes. Even though I have to bake 2 cakes instead of 1, I don't have to torte (unless I want to be really fancy) they bake faster more consistantly. With my convection oven I can bake both layers at the same time anyway, so the baking time will be less for both 2" cakes than for 1 3" cake.

But definitly lower the temp to 325, bake it for 55 min, then check it, it will still probably need more time, but start there, open the door, tap the of the pan and if it jiggles give it another 12 min or so and check it again.

Good luck!

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:37am
post #18 of 27

I love flower nails!!!!!! I had okay luck with cores, but I felt that they raised the risk of breaking the cake. I use as many nails as I think will make the cake cook evenly and it also makes such a level cake. I usually use three on a 12", but if you've got then use them, I think even 4 would not hurt. They don't mess up your cake like a core, and it will cut down on baking time, and no crunchy outside edge. I agree all the way around, the bigger the cake the lower the oven temp. anything over 8", I cook at 325*

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #19 of 27

I also see a difference when I use a flower nail as opposed to when I don't, it does help bake the cakes a bit faster, I just don't always remember to use it. When you take the flower nails out there is a slight imprint on the top of the cake, but it does not effect the frosting.

The heating core is just a PIA to me.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:02am
post #20 of 27

I'm with Sweet Results. I don't like baking cakes over 2" either. The outsides seem too dry by the time the center is done.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:12pm
post #21 of 27

The bake even strips can help too...keep the edges from getting too done so the middle can cook.

I also don't use flower nails or heating cores. It really sounds like your cake just wasn't done all the way.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 27

Isn't it funny how you can tell when it's done by the smell? icon_smile.gif I'll be doing something else and suddenly the kitchen just smells a certain way and I know the cake's done.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #23 of 27

I'll throw my 2cents in...
No flower nails or heating cores. BAKING STRIPS are the bomb! I only ever use those now.
My cakes I bake at 325, EXCEPT for some reason my white or yellow cakes. I have to do those at 350, or they don't turn out. Don't ask.
HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #24 of 27

I'm sorry, I'm having a typical Monday for the 8th day in a row...

Is the bottom tier on the wedding cake going to be 15+ tall?

"ok i am going to be baking a square wedding cake the sizes are 12x12x3 (5 of them) and 8X8X3 ..."

ali79756 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #25 of 27

all4cakes no i will be making 4 of the eight inch cakes to make the bottom tier of the wedding cake and the other one is going to be for the grooms cake sorry i didnt word it right..... i will be baking my cakes today so i will be taking everyones advise thank u all so much for the great advise it was so helpful i thought i was going to loose my mind lol. I LOVE CAKECENTRAL!!!
i have attached the wedding cake pic that the bride had sent me i only hope that it comes out as beautiful as this one is i feel much better about making it now..... icon_biggrin.gif
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #26 of 27

Nice cake. You'll be alright. I can't wait to see your creation!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Quote:

Ditto

Jibbies

Well whatever works ...If it works for some people why not ? icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%