'only Buttercream' Decorators

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 2:11pm by goof9j

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #271 of 438

Here's another site for some amazing bc cakes:
www.cakecoquette.com
Looks like they do some fondant too but their piping is insane!! My hand hurts just looking at it!!

SeriousCakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #272 of 438

*blush* Thank you vstar_pilot and sayhellojana!! icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye-I think you're right about the extra frosting but I haven't tried it yet icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #273 of 438

ok, going back to my roots, buttercream here's a 6" cake I did today. the flowers was pipe directly on the cake. You just have to get your angel right to pipe the flowers. Also, I tried a new boarder as well and I did not have the viva handtowel so I use another one with ruffles on it. The ruffle pattern looked pretty nice on the cake.

see the link for the cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1304349&done=1

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #274 of 438

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that site too! Actually, I really like some of their stuff, all that piping is sorta "my style". I have nothing against flowers, but I find that my cakes seem to be concentrating more on the piping rather than making flowers. I've been contemplating some designs like that actually, art nouveau, stained glass...

SeriousCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #275 of 438

A lady on youtube shared that site with me, thought you guys would like it. I think I'm a cross between the two, I like to do flowers but I also want to do the insane piping! icon_lol.gif After that swirly cake though my hand was cramping, I know if you do it often enough you could get used to it. lol-I'm in the middle of 3 crochet projects, hopefully that'll toughen up my hands icon_biggrin.gif

DsLady614 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #276 of 438

Ok... so cake isn't enough... you have to play with yarn too??? Sheesh! Ok, wait, maybe I shouldn't talk. I have cake plans, cookie plans, a sewing project in the works AND a 12x14 cross stitch!

Another great way to build up the piping muscles is to do cookies. The snowflakes I did had a TON of piping on them, with very stiff glace. I thought my hand was just going to fall OFF!! But, I think it did strengthen up a little.

SeriousCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:23am
post #277 of 438

lol *poke* I thought I was crazy! No, wait, maybe I am a little, but I've done a big cross-stitch in the past so I know how focussed you need to be for one of those! AND sewing?? I recently came to realize I am just not gifted in that area, I can mend, I can sew a straight line, but clothes? *shudder* I have proven to myself several times that it's best left to people who like doing it icon_lol.gif
I have recently combined 2 of my passions:
LL

DsLady614 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #278 of 438

Ok... now THAT is just COOL!!!!! Now, lets see you make the same thing with buttercream... pattern on the sides and all!

Isn't it funny how we all seem to have more than one crafting "problem"????

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #279 of 438

Check out my sheet cake I did with all buttercream icing. The hibiscus flower was piped directly on the cake. Excuse my handwriting.
LL
LL

DsLady614 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #280 of 438

Nicely done Majormichel!!! The blooms have real personality. I have to say, I agree with what said in your description about not having a top border. I really like not having to do that!

bakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakediva Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:22pm
post #281 of 438

Bumping an old thread.  I used to do cakes back in the early 90's. I'm thinking about getting back into it and I'm a buttercream gal. Not a fan of fondant, gum paste, isomalt, etc.

There are some great books and other resources listed in this thread.

Thanks all!!

pona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pona Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:32pm
post #282 of 438

I am still not very confident when working with BC.  I find that I work fast with fondant and can do anything with fondant :).  I am however still working hard at my BC skills.

jhines142 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhines142 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:48pm
post #283 of 438

Hello everyone ! I absolutely love decorating in buttercream. In fact, you should check out Don Buciak II on flicker. The man is amazing at using buttercream on 3D cakes. I hope to be as good, or better one day :) I think fondant is beautiful when done correctly, however, I have noticed customer's eyes light up when they come in and say, "I know you can't do this but..." I look at the picture of the fondant cake and say, "Well it wont look exactly like that, but, I can replicate it as close as possible in buttercream" It usually ends up looking pretty darn close. I am teaching myself lace pipe work and eventually Lambeth technique. One day..

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 9:20pm
post #284 of 438

Would this thread be open to hobby bakers who enjoy BC but still want to improve their skills?  I really want to gain the courage to pipe on the side of cakes.   Wondering if any one had this problem:  yesterday, my BC was like grainy sand.  I scraped it off and added more liquid and re-iced.  Both times, it appeared just fine in the bowl but once on the cake, it was terrible.  It had fine cracked lines and resembled stained glass.  I finally came to the conclusion that it must have been the dry heat in the house.  Does this sound correct to you?  Looking forward to hearing from the BC experts.

little_jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
little_jo Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:59am
post #285 of 438

AEdna, your buttercream cakes are what inspiried me to do only buttercream finish. I never cover my cakes in fondant, but I do fondant and gumpaste decorations. I definitely prefer buttercream decorating.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:04pm
post #286 of 438

Wow, I haven't been on here for several years.  So nice to see there are a few buttercream decorators left.  I was always about....you bake a cake, ice the cake, and decorate it...all in a couple of hours or less....and of course you could eat the whole thing.  Such fun we had and perfection was not our major concern.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:06pm
post #287 of 438

hello, jean, nice to 'see' you!

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:47pm
post #288 of 438

Hats off to you BC ladies.  I do mostly Fondant and the more I do BC it seems I get worst at it instead of better.  The smoothing part is what I have issues with.  No matter what BC I use, including Indydebi, I cannot get it to smooth and look like fondant.  The BC always has what looks like small tiny holes.  What am I doing wrong?  I beat it very slowly and I do not us water I use milk.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 7:13pm
post #289 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropalma 

Hats off to you BC ladies.  I do mostly Fondant and the more I do BC it seems I get worst at it instead of better.  The smoothing part is what I have issues with.  No matter what BC I use, including Indydebi, I cannot get it to smooth and look like fondant.  The BC always has what looks like small tiny holes.  What am I doing wrong?  I beat it very slowly and I do not us water I use milk.

What am I doing wrong?  Your trying to turn a sofa into a sedan. 

One is not better than the other, just have different properties.  I love the sedan when I go shopping.  I love the sofa when I get home.

Buttercream is a traditionally loved and adored creamy delicious beauty that everyone buys in their local stores.  Grandma and Ma and Auntie made cakes with buttercream for us as kids.   Who cares if you have tiny holes in your icing, other than you.  I don't think the people getting the cake do.  

Maybe I'm wrong, Nah I'm too much in love with Swiss Meringue Buttercream to be wrong about the joys and bliss of it. And you've never ever Ever seen one of those buttercream cakes in any store that does not have tiny holes.

Your cakes are adorable, so bright, colorful, cheerful, how much happiness do you bring to peoples grand joyful celebrations with those cakes.

It's the false expectation that you are beating yourself up over.

- let it go - Love Buttercream for what it is. Love fondant for what it is.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 7:25pm
post #290 of 438

AYes, yes, and yes MB!!! People need to know that clients who get these cakes don't even notice that stuff!!

BCJean Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:11pm
post #291 of 438

Do you know who Bob Ross the artist from public network was?  He could do an awesome painting in 30 minutes.  Was it perfect....probably not but everyone loved his work....and loved to watch him do it.  I often think of him when I am decorating.  He loved what he was doing.....as do I.  I work with buttercream because It is fast, easy and tastes good..... hence my name on here...BC(buttercream)Jean.  Some of my favorite cakes to do are what I call my 10 minute cakes....I take a double layer 8inch cake....stand back and look at it for a second...pick up a knife and go to work.  I whack off a little cake here.....and attach it over there.....I shift and rearrange....then pick up a spatula with buttercream and smear it around.  At the end of my 10 minutes I stand back and smile....yep life is fun.  Is my work perfect.....heck no!  Does the person the cake was made for care.....not so far, and it has been 35 years of this activity.

Yes, I understand I am not with the times ...that the smooth perfect of fondant is the way to go but sometimes in this busy impersonal life of ours a little buttercream is just plain fun.  Check my cake photos and see what I mean.

MBalaska Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:31pm
post #292 of 438

" It's your world, paint it anyway you want to"  he he

Actually I've seen a few cakes that look like they used his methods to paint a cake with buttercream.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:35am
post #293 of 438

bcjean, your iris is amazing-- i love them all--great artistry

MBalaska Posted 1 May 2014 , 4:04am
post #294 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCJean 
I want people to look at my cake and want to eat it, not just admire it!

thumbs_up.gif Me too!

Well Said BCJean.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 1 May 2014 , 11:40am
post #295 of 438

@MBalaska Thank you for your kind words and you are absolutely correct.  I am a bit of a perfectionist and I do need to let it go!  No one sees what I see.  Everyone is amazed on what I deliver.  I have only been doing this for one year.  So there, I am totally beating myself up when I have a long road to learn and get better. 

BCJean Posted 1 May 2014 , 3:43pm
post #296 of 438

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:02pm
post #297 of 438

All SMBC with gumpaste details.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3229094/a/3477399/all-smbc-with-gumpaste-details/sort/display_order/

You can also use SMBC (or IMBC) and implement some of the methods from the Sugarshack video as well. And it definitely won't take an hour to do so either, if you want quicker results. Here's an example of SMBC, super smoothed. 

MBalaska Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:07pm
post #298 of 438

AZ you are sooo superb with smoothing buttercream -- Swiss Meringue ButterCream!! That cake is brilliant.

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:09pm
post #299 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

AZ you are sooo superb with smoothing buttercream -- Swiss Meringue ButterCream!! That cake is brilliant.

Thank you ma'am! I love nothing more than making naked bc only cakes. :D 

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:11pm
post #300 of 438

Just wish I could find some cake stands that weren't crooked. No matter what, EVERY single one of my pretty white pedestals has a lean to it. I usually compensate for it and position the stand so it doesn't make the cake look crooked, but sometimes I screw it up. The wedding I did that same day looks crooked and it's NOT. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%