'only Buttercream' Decorators

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 2:11pm by goof9j

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:22pm
post #211 of 438

Thank you for sharing your pictures - but, you recovered it nicely, lol! I didn't have the patience for that. When I realized my purse colapsed, I got mad and stabbed it icon_mad.gif ! It made me feel better, though! Then my hubby came in and stuck a fork into it and took a big bite. He said that it was delicious, so at least it tasted good, lol.

Luckily, when I fail, I just get more dtermined to succeed. So, I try to learn from every mistake.

By the way, I have just added the beater blade to my MUST HAVE list!

Thanks again,
Mandi

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #212 of 438

lol-well, it's lucky it didn't end up the on the floor, I was trying to stay composed because hubby was standing next to me and was already telling me I needed to take a break from caking icon_lol.gif
That good though that it makes you determined, you're very talented (took a peek awhile ago in your gallery icon_biggrin.gif ) so it's just a little bump in the road icon_wink.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #213 of 438

WOW!!! I can't believe that I have read all 15 pages of this topic! You can tell that I was interested, huh?! Okay, I fell in love with SMBC and IMBC several months ago and would prefer to use this all of the time. I tried sugarshack's recipe and wiltons and a couple of others ad I just hate the after taste of the shortening. However, it seems that those are really the only ones that can be used to make BC really smooth looking. Do I have that correct?

I also enjoy using stencils and that ALSO doesn't seem to be too possible with IMBC/SMBC. Which kind of 'forces' me to use fondant at times.

I had just ordered the Winbeckler books for the BC flowers after seeing the cupcake-cafe website. OMG!!! I want to be able to do that!! I came across the flowers video at http://www.cakegenie.com/Flowers.html and wondered if anyone has used or seen it?

I guess my biggest dilemma with BC is knowing when to use which kind....IMBC/SMBC versus shortneing based, versus whatever else is out there.

I love the idea of being able to freeze it and use it for cut outs...I have to go back and find the page that those directions were on. But how do you all feel about rolled BC?

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #214 of 438

Welcome to the buttercream side saberger!! I'm really with you where shortening based buttercream comes in. I use the recipe that Serious Cakes has and it's about half and half and YUMMY! Crusts nicely, which would likely solve the stencil issue. I haven't tried that, and I want to sometime.

I know a lot of people swear by the SMBC idea, but I haven't tried it. Honestly I like to "no cook" concept.

Gosh... now I need to make a cake!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:11am
post #215 of 438

saberger.. The link you posted is our own CC member BCjean. The dvd is wonderful! I highly reccomend it.And Jean is also very helpful and will answer all your questions to!

saberger Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:26am
post #216 of 438

Thanks fiddlesticks. I'll have to try serious_cakes recipe soon.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #217 of 438

Thank you fiddlesticks!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #218 of 438

I did my first non-fondant cakes with a crusting BC. It's so odd to me. I didn't get any questions or complaints, they loved them, but to have an icing crust like that just seems so weird. I was afraid the BC would be hard when they cut into them. I totally loved being able to smooth it fairly well, but on the other hand being able to smooth it so well was totally against what I think of when I think of BC! LOL! How does everyone feel about crusting BC?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #219 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

How does everyone feel about crusting BC?

You mean there's another kind?? icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gif Seriously, "crusting" doesnt' mean "concrete".

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #220 of 438

lol-I love the fact that it crusts, it's such a miniscule layers that has hardened and I doubt that anyone even notices that when they eat it, I know I don't icon_biggrin.gif Did you have a taste?

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #221 of 438

Lets see... how do I feel about crusting buttercream? Hmm... LOVE IT!! It's the best thing ever! It makes decorating with buttercream really possible.

How's that?

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #222 of 438

How do I feel about crusting buttercream? I love it !

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #223 of 438

I use Dixie's Icing, which doesn't crust. I've used stencils by popping the whole iced cake into the freezer until the icing sets. Works great! I also like the non-crusting, because I have a tendency to put my finger thru the cake along the bottom as I turn it, which means having to re-smooth that area. (Seriously, you'd think I would've learned to be more careful, but I do it with almost every cake!) I don't think I could do that if it crusted.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #224 of 438

Oh I'm with you on that... every time I make a cake, I stick my finger in it. if I use crusting buttercream, I can't seem to fix it properly so I just IMBC and do touchups when I'm done. I must have been doing something wrong with the crusting buttercreams anyway, I was never able to get the paper towel to smooth it all that well anyway. I got tired of trying new recipes!

saberger Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #225 of 438

So I found the Snyder book on ebay last night and ordered it - cheaper than amazon! I had never seen or known about the cupcake-cafe in NYC (I am so out of it) and fell in love with all of the flowers that the do, so..... when my DH came home, I as on the computer (as usual) and he asked if I was searching for compressors (cuz I need one for my new airbrush), I said "no honey, but you GOTTA look at this!!!!" He was amazed that they were all BC and I had to swear to him that they were and that they even had classes, but they were expensive. So, he said "so, take the class, it's only 3 hours". I was shocked!!! I was also VERY STUPID *wah* I said "that's very nice of you honey but there are books and stuff on it". HOW STUPID AM I?!?!?!?! To turn down such an offer?!! I swear, I am too nice. But at least he said to try the books first and then we'll see.

I have been kicking myself in the arse all day today. On the flip side, I would feel really guilty spending that $ for a class if I COULD do it on my own.*sigh*

saberger Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:23pm
post #226 of 438

I just got the Winbeckler book and it IS a little hard to follow it. But I also just got cakegenie's dvd and it helps me to understand it a bit more and get the idea of it. Now to wait for the Snyder book.

Having seen these flowers being done, how on earth does cupcakecafe-ny get them practically hanging off of the cake? They do peonies and all sorts of things that are on the edges. Does anybody know?

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #227 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I really like working with buttercream because it is so easy to serve when they are all finished with their..ooohs and awwws.

I know fondant currently is more popular but so is botox and I don't plan to experiment with it either. That fixed, stretched tight look, with no personality, doesn't appeal to me, whether it be fondant stretched over cake or injections to fill in under your sagging skin.

Just as their are fondant decorators who disagree with me, I am sure their are botox clients who really think it would help me.

I will continue to squeeze that buttercream out.

I just came upon this forum and couldn't agree with you more (hence my signature), a cake should be a cake. When I watch these cake challenges and see how much they handle their fondant cakes it kinda grosses me out.

DiscoLady Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:00pm
post #228 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

You don't even have to use fondant accents if you don't want to...go buttercream all the way! Spread a thin layer of buttercream (maybe 1/8" thick) on a sheet of waxed paper, lay it on a cookie sheet, and pop it in the freezer. Once it's frozen, use cookie cutters or fondant cutters to cut out the shapes. Re-freeze. Apply the frozen shapes to your cake.

I'm also a BC only decorator. I just love, love, love my BC.

I just started reading this post and I am getting some great tips...like this one!! Thanks for sharing!!

DiscoLady Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:05pm
post #229 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

That IS aggravating! Yes, you can SIMPLY decorate a cake in 2 hours, is that supposed to include making the frosting then frosting the cake? I said on another thread that I want to write to Food Network, I'd like to see the cake challenge done in all buttercream. Let's see how many famous decorator's sign up for that!!!

Great idea! Now THAT would be a challenge worth watching. icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:47pm
post #230 of 438

GeminiRJ.. If you spread icing /freeze then cut out doesent it crack if you cut the shape out with it frozen ?? Thats an awesome idea but it seems like it should crack ?

GeminiRJ Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #231 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

GeminiRJ.. If you spread icing /freeze then cut out doesent it crack if you cut the shape out with it frozen ?? Thats an awesome idea but it seems like it should crack ?

I've had very little problem with cracking. Occasionally, yes, depending on the size and shape I'm cutting, and how sharp the cutter is. I use a non-crusting BC...maybe that makes a difference. The only problem I've had is that the icing defrosts very quickly, so you have to work fast and you have to keep re-freezing.

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:29pm
post #232 of 438

GeminiRJ... Thanks!I have to remember that idea and give it a try!

SeriousCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:37am
post #233 of 438

saberger-be fearless, that's how they get them on there like that icon_lol.gif I find that if my buttercream is thinner that I have an easier time getting them to kind of hang off the edge, when it's thicker it tends to slide:

I did some at the end of this video and it was some pretty thin frosting. I have a few cakes that I've done with them right on the edge or going over the side, but I'm not as daring as the Cupcake Cafe icon_biggrin.gif

saberger Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #234 of 438

Thanks for sharing that with me serious_cakes. I really appreciate it. Well I won some ebay bids last night on a few old (70's) Wilton yearbooks to see what they have regarding bc and flowers and stuff.

I was wondering about this last night: the wilton flowers that they teach in the "decorating cakes" book, that are done in RI...like the bachelor button and carnation and stuff....can't they be done in bc?

SeriousCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #235 of 438

Of course! I've done both, I even did a cake with butttercream daffodils!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208523
I think they suggest RI because you can make them ahead of time, but I do everything right on the cake icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:26pm
post #236 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks for sharing that with me serious_cakes. I really appreciate it. Well I won some ebay bids last night on a few old (70's) Wilton yearbooks to see what they have regarding bc and flowers and stuff.

I was wondering about this last night: the wilton flowers that they teach in the "decorating cakes" book, that are done in RI...like the bachelor button and carnation and stuff....can't they be done in bc?

The Wilton Way of Decorating, Vol. 3 might be a good one for you to try and get. It's all about the tips and has lots of flowers. The tulips they show are especially lovely!

BCJean Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #237 of 438

Sometimes the flowers just look like they are hanging on the edge. On this cake with Irises, the weight of the flower is on the top of the cake and the part over the edge is piped on the side of the cake.
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #238 of 438

Beautiful!!!

BCJean Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #239 of 438

...and on this cake for the rose which is on the side of the cake, I let it air dry over night. When you dry a buttercream flower it makes it really light in weight and you can just stick it on the side of the cake and it will stay.
LL

SeriousCakes Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:08pm
post #240 of 438

Yay!! Just wanted to share, I finally made some decent scrolls!! I had a cake last week that I was trying a design on and it was very disappointing! Then for Thanksgiving I wanted to try again and see if I could do better by practicing first, then picking the scroll I liked best. Well, that worked out very well and I was so excited with the results!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1290576

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%