Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:04pm
post #1261 of 1317

Melvira - I'm new here and searched for "bettercream" and found your topic. I know this is very old and you are probably tired of talking about it. But, I have a question and after reading 20 of the 80+ pages on this topic, decided to just ask.

I bought some Bettercream at Gordon's Food and tried it last week. I heard elsewhere that it was like Cool Whip and that you can use it straight out of the freezer and that it helps to also freeze your bowl and mixer whip. So, I did all that and after 5 minutes it was very liquidy (like cool whip), so I whipped for another minute, no change. I was unable to use it on my cupcakes and I guess will just serve it at home on jello or something. I did add some Wilton food coloring gel onto the whisk before pouring in the Bettercream so maybe that did something.

Now my question - do you thaw your Bettercream and freeze your bowl and wisk? I'm determined to figure this out because I do like the lightness of this and the taste is pretty good, even plain. Thanks in advance.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:47pm
post #1262 of 1317

Hi Chaka1!

You definitely do not want to use it frozen or freeze your bowl. It won't whip as well that way. You need to let it sit out on the counter at room temp for an hour (give or take, just enough to let it become liquid) then pour it into your room temp bowl. If there are still some frozen chunks, just lightly stir for a second to break them up. You can add any liquid or syrup flavoring you want at this point. Then whip on medium speed for a few minutes until it becomes light at fluffy like whipping cream does. When I have a last minute order or am in a time crunch, I run the carton under hot water for a minute, give it a good shake, then pour it into the bowl and stir lightly to help it get to its liquid stage as quickly as possible.

Now, that information is based on using the liquid version. If what you are using is the prewhipped product, you need to not whip it. If you want to add flavor to it, let it thaw a bit, then gently stir in flavoring/coloring. The liquid product in my opinion tastes and works better because I feel that the prewhipped stuff is already that overwhipped consistency by the time you get it. That is how it turns out if you whip it and then let it sit overnight. It sort of sets and then feels very clotty and is harder to smooth. This is why I try to only whip the amount I need. If I do have leftover and want to use it the next day or so, I stir in a little more of the liquid to return it to the soft and easily smoothable texture.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I'll help as much as I can. thumbs_up.gif

chaka1 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1263 of 1317

Melvira - Thank you so very much for getting back to me. I did have the liquid kind and I'm determined to get it to work. I don't know why I was told to freeze the bowl, etc. I remember when I was a kid and my Mom made Cool Whip, she'd freeze the bowl. I will buy it again and hope I have better luck. Now that I have your tips, I'm sure I will. Thanks again so much for sharing. Can't wait to try it with some flavoring.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1264 of 1317

Absolutely my pleasure. I have to admit I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'make Cool Whip' because the only Cool Whip I've ever had comes in a plastic dish and is already whipped up. Unless maybe you are talking about Dream Whip that comes in the little envelopes? I think with things like that, or heavy whipping cream, a cold bowl is better. But, for Bettercreme, I've found that it definitely works better not super cold. Don't give up, you will get it working!! If you need any other help I am happy to help!

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:44pm
post #1265 of 1317

Oh, have you seen the Bettercreme document I created on GoogleDocs? It has the majority of the info from this thread but it's all condensed. If you need the link, let me know!

chaka1 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:50pm
post #1266 of 1317

Melvira - No, I have not seen your document on googledocs. Can you post the link here? Also, somewhere on the first 20 or so pages of this thread you had posted pics of some cupcakes you made. I was unable to see them. When I clicked on the link it would say it doesn't exist. Maybe it was too old. Anything other advice on Bettercream is much appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Yes, you are right, it was Dream Whip in envelopes where you froze the bowl.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:57pm
post #1267 of 1317

Ok, yah, I am familiar with the Dream Whip! As far as those pics, I can't recall which ones they are off the top of my head, but when all the changes were made here there were problems with pics, or it's possible they were moved on my site if they were links. If you want to see some of the stuff i've done with Bettercreme you can check out my website. www.TheLostBakery.com (To those who already know me, yes, my webaddress and name have changed. I bought a new building and am rebranding.) Anyway, you can see pics on there and if you mouse over a pic it will tell you what kind of icing, etc. was used.

The Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARCzpgSS_N4TZGdqcXNqamNfNGdtc3E5c2Ro

Edited for a typo. I rock. icon_lol.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:08pm
post #1268 of 1317

Can you get this anywhere in Canada?

Melvira Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:03am
post #1269 of 1317

I haev heard that question a lot, and unfortunately I do not know the answer. However, I do know you can attempt to find it through contacting the company at www.richs.com/contact That will be your best bet, unless someone else in your area knows for sure. I am keepng my fingers crossed for you!

kentuckysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckysugar Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:11am
post #1270 of 1317

My experience has been that Bettercream whips much, much easier at room temperature in a room temperature bowl.

Melvira Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:54am
post #1271 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckysugar

My experience has been that Bettercream whips much, much easier at room temperature in a room temperature bowl.

Yes, thats been my experience as well! Thanks for weighing in on it.

SheilaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaB Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:57pm
post #1272 of 1317

I searched but couldn't find the answer..Can I add pineapple juice to bettercreme or will it break it down? I made some Pina Colada cupcakes & want to frost with that...please help ASAP!!! Thanks so much in advance!

Melvira Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:55pm
post #1273 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaB

I searched but couldn't find the answer..Can I add pineapple juice to bettercreme or will it break it down? I made some Pina Colada cupcakes & want to frost with that...please help ASAP!!! Thanks so much in advance!

You'd be better off to use flavoring, as the juice can make it kind of curdle up. I've done it successfully, and I've had issues with it, and I don't know what I did differently. Perhaps it's just HOW MUCH I used. But I never have issues when I use flavorings like LorAnn. thumbs_up.gif

SheilaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaB Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:17pm
post #1274 of 1317

Thanks! Hmmm...wonder where I can find that flavor? No time to hit the cake store...I think our pharmacy & has flavorings,,now to find pineapple! Thanks again!

Melvira Posted 8 May 2012 , 5:24pm
post #1275 of 1317

No problem! If you can't find pineapple flavoring, then just try the juice, but add it while it is still liquid and just start with a little. You can add a little more while whippig if you want a more pronounced flavor. Just be aware as you're whipping it. You'll have to sort of babysit it to make sure it doesn't get curdy looking. Another thing you can try is whipping it first, then folding in some of the juice. Maybe try that with just a little and see how it reacts, then you'll know if it is going to work and can do it to the rest. Best of luck.

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm
post #1276 of 1317

Melvira, you are awesome, you have great ideas, and are a great addition to the CC forum. Keep up the good work.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:33pm
post #1277 of 1317

Baby food works great also.
Already processed.

tibrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibrado Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 2:48pm
post #1278 of 1317

Hi Mel,
New to the forum as of last night and I've only read the last 5 or so pages & the first page of the thread. Thank you for the recipe! A couple questions and sorry if these have been asked before:
On a google search regarding bettercreme, someone on yahoo said that Wilton's product is similar; have you have any experience with it?
http://is.gd/yGWDP8

Second question is, I wanted to make a brie frosting and the recipes I've found involve cream cheese. I'm wondering if you think I can use your bettercreme recipes on page 1 and incorporate the brie. I think I've read that you say that you can use creamcheese with this. Here's an example of a recipe I found, I just wanted something that wasn't going to be as thick and heavy as this sounds.

Brie and Cream Cheese Frosting
6 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese (low-fat is fine), cool room temperature
4 ounces (about 1/2 cup) brie, softened and with rind removed
1/4 cup (2 ounces or 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered (confectioner's) sugar

Thanks in advance!

ktbeths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbeths Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:09pm
post #1279 of 1317

Hey guys! I need some help with measurements. I have some Rich's Bettercreme (yay!) and some strawberry sleeve filling. How much sleeve filling do I mix with the Bettercreme to make a cake/cupcake filling?
Thanks in advance for any help!! icon_biggrin.gif

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #1280 of 1317

Mel, what is the "roller method"? I'm sorry, but I'm new here..and fascinated!!detective.gif

soldiernurse Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:54pm
post #1281 of 1317

Mel, can u explain the roller method to me..I'm new here..and fascinated!!detective.gif

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 4:32am
post #1282 of 1317

ACan you put ribbon or fondant decorations on it. ...I don't think it will crust OVER... so how would that work

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:26pm
post #1283 of 1317

Ribbon, no.  Fondant decorations, maybe but they will probably get slimy.  This stuff is just like Cool Whip.

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:29pm
post #1284 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira 

Oh, and I want to add, this stuff tastes GREAT if you add flavorings to it. Even plain it's pretty good, but it's better once it's doctored up! It's like the stuff that Sam's club uses on their cakes, but like I said, you can make it taste better!

What is it for to fill cupcakes?

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:49pm
post #1285 of 1317

Y'all, where can I find this stuff??? I have looked everywhere!!!   in Sam's/Wal-Mart  in the dairy case but I don't find either--can someone dowload a picture of what they look like please!!!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 3:55am
post #1286 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

Y'all, where can I find this stuff??? I have looked everywhere!!!   in Sam's/Wal-Mart  in the dairy case but I don't find either--can someone dowload a picture of what they look like please!!!

I have heard that you have to go to the bakerry counter and ask for it...i cant confirm if that is the case as i have not tried it. 

wellsbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wellsbull Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:15pm
post #1287 of 1317

AHello, Im new to this site and new to baking/cooking. Im currently taking a cake decorating class and love it.

Anyhow, have read most of the thread to the Bettercreme and bought the chocolate Bettercreme by Rich. I also bought Frostin Pride, vanilla flavor.... Now, I dont know what to do with it (shamed face).

1. Do I whip it like heavy whip cream? 2. Is the flavor good the way it is or do I add other flavors? 3. If you do add flavors, how much do you add (tablespoons, cupss)? 4. Can you pipe it and not have problems with melting? 5. Can you put the cake after its been decorated in the freezer and taken out the day of the party?

Im sorry for all the questions. I agreed to make a bday cake for a friend. She hates bUttercream and wanted more of the whipped frosting. After several attempts with heavy whipped cream frosting I was about to give up and ran into this thread.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:54pm
post #1288 of 1317

wish we had it in NYC

wellsbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wellsbull Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:02pm
post #1289 of 1317

ALynne,

Do you have gordon foods, sams club or smart and final?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:04pm
post #1290 of 1317

wellsbull,

1. Yes, you just whip and whip and whip until it is the density you want. For me, it took long enough that I was happy I have a stand mixer so I could turn it on and let it run without my having to be there holding a hand mixer.

2. Flavor is very subjective. You might like the flavor as is or you might not. I think the unadulterated flavor is pretty good, although I have usually added flavor for a specific cake (e.g., strawberry, lemon, orange).

3. As to the amount, it depends on how much of the carton you are using and how strong a flavoryou are after. Whip the product, add a half-teaspoon of flavor, whip, taste. If that isn't enough, add a little more. Repeat.

I don't know the answers to 4 and 5; I hope someone else can help you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%