Call Me Stupid, But I Need Help Decorating This Cake!!!

Decorating By tgirl22 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm by becky27

tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 11

I am new to decorating, so I am not sure how to pull this off. But I am having a baby shower for my best friend 9/21, (she is due 10/26) and the theme is going to be Mommy's Lil' Pumpkin. Her mother-in-law found a picture of the "perfect cake" on Google, and doesn't even know where. There were no instructions with it, but I included a picture. Does anyone know how to do this??? Thanks in advance!!!!
LL

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

It looks like they baked the pumpkin in a casserole dish with a rounded bottom, because it's flatter than the average glass mixing bowl.

Then they leveled the cake and part of the domed part that was cut off became the baby's face. It went on the layer cake and was decorated. Then, they cut part of the pumpkin to be the lid/hat, arranged it all, frosted it yellow (or covered with yellow fondant) and then piped fat orange lines with a round tip.

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 11

It kinda looks like the easter egg pan, cut off.

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 11

This almost looks like half of the Wilton stand up pumpkin pan with the top trimmed off and used for the hat. It is adorable. Good luck with it.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #5 of 11

Wilton makes a jack-o-lantern cake pan. I don't think it's the same shape as that one, but might save you some time. You will need to check the dimensions to make sure it would fit on the sheet cake. Good Luck.

Jo

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:42am
post #6 of 11

If you use the wilton pan you can bake only 1 half of the pan and it'll do the same as in the pic.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:59am
post #7 of 11

What a cute cake! I agree, Wilton makes a pumpkin pan. Hopefully you can find it and use it for this cake.

Don't forget to post pictures when your done!

tgirl22 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:40am
post #8 of 11

Thank you all for the help!! I will go to Michael's today and look for the pumpkin pan! icon_smile.gif

tgirl22 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #9 of 11

I used half of the Wilton stand-up jack-o-latern pan and this is what I came up with! Not as good as the cake I was trying to follow, but not bad for a first timer! lol My 14 year old son helped...he made the baby, the sprinkles, and the borders...Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions/advice!
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 11

See you made a great cake - it didn't have to be exactly like the other one. Y ours is just as cute.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 11

ur cake come out so cute!!! great job!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%