Two Dummies, Fondant And Water Spritzer Don't Mix.

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 4

Well I just covered my first dummy with fondant. I checked some old posts before doing so as to try to do this correctly the first time. So the concensus seemed to be that the easiest, most cost-effective way is to just mist the dummy with water to get the fondant to adhere (after lightly filing down the crisp corner where the top/bottom and side meet).

So I rolled out my fondant. I actually used the perfect amount and got the circle shape almost perfect. I then had the dummy waiting on my counter and gave it a nice mist, not too much, but I remembered to do the sides as well as the top. Got the fondant up over the rolling pin and my hand without ripping it (MMF, btw) and got it onto the dummy which it covered perfectly - not too big or too small - just enough left to trim a little extra off. Then I went to smooth it......
.......this is where the trouble began.

I made a rookie mistake. I forgot to mist the dummy somewhere else. A surface that I wasn't going to use to actually get the fondant onto the dummy. The fondant began sticking to my countertop! I had to grab my turntable and a plastic food storage container (smaller diameter than the dummy to raise the dummy up high enough to let the extra fondant drape down) and then smooth the fondant onto the side of the dummy while trying not to wrinkle it. It eventually worked, though it's not as totally smooth as I'd prefer (two tiny wrinkles very close to the bottom and one finger indentation right on top!!).

Yes, a very rookie mistake, but I though I'd share because I wondered if anyone else had this issue and maybe after reading this, could avoid it if they haven't.

So now I have another dummy to cover and then I think I'll give this big dummy a mist, too - I'm going to take a long shower and enjoy my accomplishments.

3 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 4

Sooooo....the idea is to mist the dummy at one location, them MOVE IT to another location so the fondant doesn't stick to the overspray!? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

I do like the misting idea, however....I've always done the "smearing it with shortening" deal. thumbsdown.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for sharing!

Good Luck.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

Okay, so it's not the greatest piece of cake decorating advice, by a long shot, but it would have helped me to have realized that before.

Yes, I'm more dense than pound cake! icon_sad.gif

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%