Buttercream On A Cake Dummy?

Decorating By grammynan Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm by indydebi

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 17

When you use a cake dummy for the bottom tier of a wedding cake, can you decorate it with buttercream to match the rest of the cake? Or do you have to use royal icing?

P. S. Thank to all for such a wealth of information on this website. I have learned sooo much!!

16 replies
milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 17

You can use BC....the exact same one you use to frost the cake. HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 17

The bottom tier of this one was a dummy and done in the same bc as the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1183169

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 17

If you are keeping the dummy around for a while make sure you use buttercream with no butter in it or flavoring for the matter. Just just shortning powedered sugar and your water and what ever else you use. Just my advice

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

You can use BC....the exact same one you use to frost the cake. HTH

ditto. I dont' use RI for anything .. can't really figure out what it's for.

jklcooper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jklcooper Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 17

Do you cover the dummy with anything or just put the buttercream directly on it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 17

i am a wilton teacher.. when i have to do a demo with buttercream.. i do wrap the dummy with press n seal.. the name brand.. it works great.. then by the time i get home.. i just pull the whole thing off.. if i keep , it for a while... it does great this way also... hth

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 17

Yep, it certainly can be done in b'creamicon_smile.gif I've done 100s of dummy cakes in b'cream.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

If you are keeping the dummy around for a while make sure you use buttercream with no butter in it or flavoring for the matter. Just just shortning powedered sugar and your water and what ever else you use. Just my advice

Unfortunately, for me, this did not work. I tried to do that with my recipe and it did not smooth at all the way my regular Buttercream does and it was a waste of my time. I had to scrape the dummy and re-ice with my regular Buttercream. I'm sure it varies by recipe but just to save yourself some headache - use your regular recipe. Of course, I never use Vanilla and as expensive as it is...I would take her advice on that part!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:35am
post #10 of 17

so ok, let me make sure Im reading right:

You "can" use a dummy to fill in a cake display and make a cake look bigger. But if you plan on using the dummy again, wrap it first in saran wrap, and the Ice???

When done, just peel off and throw away the mess? I thinking Im needing this very soon (april) father is wanting a princess cake for 50 people for his daug. but wants it to look like a big beautiful cake...Im thinking...castle on a center cake, being a dummy...and surrounding cakes smaller to eat?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 17

The bottom tiers of each of these 3 cakes are dummies:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1014353

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1065803

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1092783

I use the same buttercream as for the rest of the cake because I don't want to risk the colors not being the same. I don't wrap the tiers in anything, just ice them and scrape them off afterwards. Very easy. Jump in and try it!

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #12 of 17

I dont' wrap mine in anything either. Even if I keep them around for 2 years, when I'm ready to change them, I just run a knife under the icing and it pops right off.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:42am
post #13 of 17

Exactly what Indy said.

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 17

Will the icing harden and how long will it last on the cake?

indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 17

The same icing I use on my cakes, crusts well but remains nice and soft when it's cut .... but when I put it on a dummy, it turns concrete hard. I tell people, "SUre! You can touch the cakes!" I pick them up by the top tier to carry them around. The icing stays on until I scrape it off.....years.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 17

Ok, went and shopped yesterday. found the cake dummies. Its just styrofoam circles or whatever shape!! Doesnt it contaminate the dummy? wont it tear them when taken off?

If your just using it to practice or lets say to use a dummy on weddings, wont that hurt the dummy? sorry but I feel like the "dummy" here with this. Why wouldnt you wrap them?

so your saying when you go to walmart, in those cases..those are dummies with real b/c icing that has harden? Couldnt u just use reg. styrofoam that they have at hobby lobby or michaels?

indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 17

Cake dummies have a super smooth surface. Craft dummies, or "regular styrofoam", have a very porous surface, which makes it more difficult to put icing on. Cake dummies work much better for cake-work.

On the cake dummies, no, the hardened BC doesn't tear the dummy when it's removed. I run a knife under the dried icing, and it pops off, pretty clean. Mine barely need more than a damp rag wiped over it when I'm done.

The craft dummies, since they are very porous, MIGHT have some damage to them when you try to scrape the icing off, simply because the icing will have gone down INTO the styrofoam, so you won't have a smooth, clean surface to just scrape off. That's why we use cake dummies and not craft dummies.

I'm not sure what you mean by "contaminate" the dummy. No one is going to eat this stuff, so cross contamination isn't really an issue on a display cake.

I dont' wrap them simply because I don't see any need for it. Never had a problem removing the icing. Never had a problem with damaged styro's. I've got styro's that are years old and I've used them over and over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%