What Discount Do You Give Family?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm by Carolynlovescake

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 34

My cousins (two sisters) will likely be getting engaged soon. I love them and their parents to death.

I know I shouldn't offer to do their cakes for free, but I was curious as to what everyone else does for their family/friends?

33 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 34

Aunt Debi gives all nieces/nephews the wedding cake as their gift, if they want it. If they want to go elsewhere for their cake, that is a-ok with me and I get to be just a guest at the wedding like everyone else! thumbs_up.gif

I do draw the line at nieces/nephews ... cousins, friends, neighbors of friends, cousins of friends of neighbor, etc...... play regular price.

If you don't want to do them for free, but want to do SOMETHING, some options are offering them a dollar amount off of their cake ($200 off) or they buy the stuff, you'll make the cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 34

All in all, my happy family discount is $25%. Sometimes I do things as a gift tho, just depends on the situation.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 34

I charge 'em double!! icon_biggrin.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 34

i did my uncles wedding cake for free, as a gift to him. but all circumstances are different...

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 34

Woo Hoo Cakepro. I knew I liked you!!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Hehehe.....I should start doing this. Sometimes they are the worst customers! icon_biggrin.gif

LauraLanier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLanier Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 34

I didn't even know you were suppose to get paid for family, mine just tell me what they want and I do it, I am a pushover. I usually don't charge my friends much just the cost of ingredients. One day it will come to the point where enough is enough and maybe I will say something.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:

I almost choked on a sip of water while reading this icon_lol.gif

Everything I do is free, free, free for anybody who requests - I don't care if it's the postman. I usually have to ask "may I make the cake?" because they are too nice to assume - or they just don't like my cakes icon_eek.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 34

I usually will either charge my minimum price, give it as a gift, or take a chunk of the $$ off so I don't have to buy a gift and they pay the difference. However, if the cake is ultra expensive, I'll charge accordingly, but it is still less then what I would charge a regular customer icon_biggrin.gif!l

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 34

I charge cost for close relatives, and very good friends. I also tell people that I and only I, reserve the right to discount whatever I want and to whomever I want.

Therefore an acquaintence (sp?) who I am not that close to, WILL NOT ANYMORE get the same discount as my best friend, or my sister.

Also I have a very simple rules that all friends and family MUST follow. 1.) If you are a PITA/Bridezilla, you will not get the special friends discount.

2.) If you do not pay me my cost of ingredients in a timely manner, you will not get the special friends discount.

3.) If you are not willing to work around MY work/baking schedule, you will not get the special friends discount.

4.) If more than 5 phone calls are recieved per day regarding your cake, you will not get the special friends discount. (I had to recently add this one)

5.) I am not a Wilton instructor, I DO NOT GIVE CLASSES. If you want to take cake decorating classes, I refer you to your nearest Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

I can meekly stand up and say, with IndyDebi pushing me the entire way. I will NOT be taken advantage of ANYMORE!

<exits soapbox>

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 34

I did my brother's wedding cake at cost when he got married. I told him the rest of it was my gift to him and his wife. They were totally cool with that. If my other brother gets married then I will do the same for him.

All my other cousins are married so that is not an issues for me, nor do we have anyone else old enough to get married. I'm the last of us. icon_smile.gif

If you do offer to do them free make sure you let them know that is your gift to them and what you are willing to do. Before I offered a totally free cake I would find out what they are wanting. If they want a 5 tiered cake with satalite cakes for free are you willing to do that? If they want table cakes for every table, are you willing to do that for free?

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #13 of 34

Usually with close relatives' weddings (I've done 2 BILs, 1-MIL, and a cousin), I do their cake for free--but only to a certain quantity, like up to 125 guests. If they want to have 500 of their closest friends at the wedding, or specialty flavors etc...they pay full price for the balance.

My niece had a best friend get married last month, and niece wanted to pay for the cake (from me). I gave her $0.50/serving off my current prices, and they were happy with that. When niece gets married, I'll do hers for free, up to 125 guests.

For birthdays, showers, etc., if they ask and I'm not busy, AND I'm in the mood, I do them for free, but I haven't done one of those in over a year.
Lately they assume I'm too busy with other weddings, and that's just fine with me.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #14 of 34

jayde, here's my "rule" for free cakes:

"I will do the cake for free as my gift. If I get a Bridezilla attitude .... YOU get an invoice for the full amount."

Add an addendum that the 'zilla attitude applies to mothers and sisters who chime in and break any of the aforementioned rules.

MacsMom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #15 of 34

Hmmm... There's lots to consider!

I think I'll offer at cost for up to 200 guests. I'll then charge half my rate for the number of guests over 200. Knowing their "popular" personalities and ease of making friends, I wouldn't be surprised if they each had 400 guests! Their mother is also the Martha Stewart type (but very sweet!!).

I like to give presents so I'd hate to say that's all they get from me icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #16 of 34

Darlin', if that's "all" they get from you, you've STILL given them the most expensive present of anyone! thumbs_up.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #17 of 34

Family is always free on my end. That is usually my gift though. Otherwise if I was still buying them something as a wedding gift I would say @ cost would be nice.

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #18 of 34

I make them buy all my supplies. Which they are very thankful for as they know how long it takes to make/decorate a cake. But just my immediate family and very close friend. Unless it's a gift I will cover the cost then.

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #19 of 34

I usually do immediate family for free! only inmmediate family unless for some reason I offer oterwise. icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #20 of 34

I have done family cakes for free at first then told them for birthdays I need at least 2 weeks notice or they find their own cake. One sis offered to pay but then never forked over any money.

So far the only ones to get married in my family were my own kids which I did their cake. Now my 2 nephews got married but IndyDeb did the oldest since she also catered it ...( that is where I first really got to meet her and love her) and I didn't do weddings yet. The other nephew got married out in Colorado and I didn't get to go to that since we took the motorcycle to Sturgis at that time. I would probably do neices n nephews for free as my gift too but it doesn't look to promising that any of them will get married in my lifetime....lol.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #21 of 34

This is something I struggle with....so much that everything I've done has been free. Sucks for me and I don't know how to even begin to ask for $$. Don't know why, and I know this is stupid of my part, but I feel embarassed asking for $$ (feel like I'm taking advantage taking money from family)...even though I know how expensive and time consuming it is to make a cake. I need help icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru329

This is something I struggle with....so much that everything I've done has been free. Sucks for me and I don't know how to even begin to ask for $$. Don't know why, and I know this is stupid of my part, but I feel embarassed asking for $$ (feel like I'm taking advantage taking money from family)...even though I know how expensive and time consuming it is to make a cake. I need help icon_redface.gif

You think YOU are taking advantage of THEM by taking money to compensate YOU for the money YOU spent out of YOUR pocket for a cake for THEM???? Do you see how backward that thinking is, young lady? icon_eek.gif Do you see who's really taking advantage of who here?

(Big Sigh!) Fax me a dollar and I'll send you that backbone you need! icon_biggrin.gif

And CakeRN is my favorite "Aunt-in-Law" (That's what I call her since we share a couple of nephews!)

MacsMom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Darlin', if that's "all" they get from you, you've STILL given them the most expensive present of anyone! thumbs_up.gif

SOOOOO TRUE!! thumbs_up.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #24 of 34

Free to family....discounts for close friendsicon_wink.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:42am
post #25 of 34

I do free cakes for my parents, grandma, neices and nephews, my siblings and my SILs.

Other family gets a discount like 25%

As far as wedding cakes I figure that I would never spend more than like $75 on a present so I will definately not give them a huge cake for free. Now if they want to pay me what it cost to make the cake my work will be their gift.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #26 of 34

[/quote] (Big Sigh!) Fax me a dollar and I'll send you that backbone you need!

You should really fax her that dollar, Debi has helped me find my spine....Shes good, real good icon_lol.gif .

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #27 of 34

If I volunteer to make it, it is 100% discount.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #28 of 34

Cakes for my parents and my siblings are free. I am from a very large family with almost 30 nieces and nephews. I periodically do free cakes at my discretion. No one gets a discount on chocolate candies or decorated cookies. That's way to time consuming and costly just to hand over. I have also learned that when you give away too many freebies, everyone expects it.

osorio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osorio Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #29 of 34

I think that every situation is different. If I offer to take the cake with my family or very close friends, then the cake is free. But if they ask for a cake, I usually just charge the cost of the ingredients. But the work is the same if the cake is free or not, so sometimes I hope they don´t ask for a cake because I can´t resist to make it. It´s hard with the family, so I agree with Cakepro: "charge them double".

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #30 of 34
Quote:

HA!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%