What Do I Do With The Yolks?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 1:42am by loriana

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 21

I just made a white cake that called for 12 egg whites. Now I have 12 lonely egg yolks. What do I do with them? Throw them out?

Becca

20 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 21

How about that cake with Flan underneath it ... it is very very good.. icon_smile.gif

soxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soxxy Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 21

I use left over egg yolks as an excuse to make custard for either homemade ice cream or banana pudding.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 21

You can freeze egg yolks. If youâre likely to use them within three days of cracking open the shell, you can safely keep them, covered, in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can keep them in the freezer for up to four months.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixterfsu

You can freeze egg yolks. If youâre likely to use them within three days of cracking open the shell, you can safely keep them, covered, in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can keep them in the freezer for up to four months.

How do you freeze your yolks? I tried it once and they defrosted all gummy on the outside.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 21

Make Lemon Curd!
Here's on recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lemon-curd-recipe/index.html
But the way I do it is:

• 12 egg yolks (well I use 24, but it's easy to half this recipe)
    1 3/4 C. Sugar
    1 C. + 2 T. Lemon Juice (bottled is fine, if fresh, add some zest too!)
    6 oz. Butter

• *Whisk sugar and juice together, beat egg yolks (to break them up), and whisk into sugar mixture.
    *Heat over a double boiler while whisking often (every couple minutes or more), until mixture starts to get warm.
    *Add butter and whisk constantly until butter melts.
    *keep whisking regularly (every 5-10 minutes or so) until mixture thickens. (You should be able to see faint whisk marks for a couple seconds). <<This will probably take a while since it's such a big batch. Maybe 30 min-1 hour? I'm not really sure... I usually make double this amount.>>
    *Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve. Either can to preserve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 21

I take press and seal wrap and put each yolk
on the sticky side carefully about 4 inches apart.
I then grab another sheet and put on top and press around trying to get as close to the yolk without
popping. I put in a container. Alot of work I know, but with prices the way they are, I'm not throwing them out.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 21

I cook them up and make ham-and-egg rice for hubby. He loves it! I also give some cooked yolks to my dogs for being so darn cute! icon_smile.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 21

I freeze them in quantities that I will use.

For example, my pastry cream, fruit curd, creme anglaise, and creme brulee all call for 4 egg yolks, so if I have a lot of yolks leftover, I'll freeze them in 4's.

My ice cream base calls for 2 egg yolks, my chocolate mousse for 5...you get the idea icon_smile.gif.

And the reverse is true - if I use the yolks and freeze the white, an angel food cake is 12 whites...meringue cookies 4....SMBC is 2-3....etc.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 21

I freeze them in quantities that I will use.

For example, my pastry cream, fruit curd, creme anglaise, and creme brulee all call for 4 egg yolks, so if I have a lot of yolks leftover, I'll freeze them in 4's.

My ice cream base calls for 2 egg yolks, my chocolate mousse for 5...you get the idea icon_smile.gif.

And the reverse is true - if I use the yolks and freeze the white, an angel food cake is 12 whites...meringue cookies 4....SMBC is 2-3....etc.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 21

In the future perhaps buy a carton of "just whites" egg substitute (?)

That's what I use for my cakes (I use variations of the WASC recipe which calls for 8 whites). Smart -n-Final or Trader Joes has the best price: $2 per carton of 8 versus $4.5 in the grocery store.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 21

Feed them to your dog if you have one! He or she will have the shiniest coat on the block!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 21

You can freeze egg yolks without them getting gummy. Just add some salt or sugar to them. To 1 cup of yolks add 1 tsp of salt or 1TBSP of sugar. I freeze them in ice cube trays and one cube is approximately 2 yolks. Egg whites can be frozen as is with no ill effect.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 21

How about french buttercream also?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 21

I make lemon curd, pastry cream, bavarian cream, home made ice cream, quiche lorraine with extra egg yolk. Want me to keep going? Lol. Can you tell I may have to watch my cholesterol?

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #17 of 21

All great ideas!

I freeze my yolks in water to prevent the gummy thing. Never thought of doing them in the plastic wrap, good idea!!!

I have a couple yellow cake recipes that call for 12 egg yolks and are quite tasty and not at all dry. If I don't plan to make a custard or other goodie, I make the cake.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 21

WOW! I never knew there were so many recipes that called for egg yolks. Thanks!

Becca

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiepix

All great ideas!

I freeze my yolks in water to prevent the gummy thing. Never thought of doing them in the plastic wrap, good idea!!!

I have a couple yellow cake recipes that call for 12 egg yolks and are quite tasty and not at all dry. If I don't plan to make a custard or other goodie, I make the cake.

Hey Sadie! Yum! Could you send us your recipe, only if you don't mind sharing! I would love to try to freeze my yolks until I get 12 together and try it! Do you defrost them on the counter or using a microwave?

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #20 of 21

I always defrost in the fridge overnight, then pour off the water. I bet they could be done on the countertop though. I would not risk the micro in case you cooked them at all, even on the defrost setting.

I love unique recipe sharing! I actually found this in a church collected cookbook from Spalding NE, circa 1980.
So the thanks go to the lady who contributed it.

This cake is really tender, with a fluffy texture and pale yellow color. Makes enough batter for a bundt pan and a 6 inch, or a full 9x13, or however you want to divide it.

Gold Cake-
11-12 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt.
2c. sugar
1 c. milk, scalded
2 1/2 cups cake flour (I use all-purpose and it works great also!)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract (or flavor as you wish)
1/2 cup butter, melted (I have used oil, but like butter better.)

Beat yolks with salt until fluffy. Add sugar gradually and beat until thick. Add hot milk slowly while beating. Sift together dry ingredients and then add to yolk mixture. When incorporated, add flavorings and melted butter.

Bake at 350 for til golden and done in the center.

Enjoy!

Sadie

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #21 of 21

Wow thanks Sadie! My 12 egg yolks I saved tonight are SO going into your cake recipe icon_smile.gif !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%