Anyone Ever Made These Swiss-Meringue-Ribbon-Roses?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm by maryj

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
31 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 32

I've never even seen or heard of them before. Thanks for posting the link! I'm actually just waiting for my water to simmer so I can make a batch of SMBC. Perfect timing!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 32

Those are just beautiful, please let us know how they turn out.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 32

I did them in royal icing. I was actually copying JenniferMI's cake, which is quite similar to the cake on martha stewart.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 32

ooooh I have to try those!! Love them!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #6 of 32

I made that cake about 7-8 years ago. The roses were quite easy and fast, one I got the hang of it. That recipe made ALOT of flowers.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:22am
post #7 of 32

I made them and they turned out great. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it but well worth it. They taste good too.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #8 of 32

Okay, does anyone know what the Ateco tip numbers transfer to in Wilton tips? These look interesting. Thank you for posting this, I'll have to try it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 32

Those are pretty similar to a recipe that my mom gave me to make cookies with. It baked at 200 and I learned the hard way not to use waxed paper in the gas oven...we had a bit of a fire.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 32

Well I've made tons of them but not out of smbc. Twenty two years ago the grocery store bakery I worked for made speed racks full of sheet pans full of those ribbon roses. You just use a ginormous rose tip on a huge bag. Just however big you want it to be that's the size tip you use. They can of course be made large or small. We made them real big, real gloppy and really really fast.

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 32

Use different sized rose tips. I have a really big one - not sure of the number. Start with the biggest one you have - I found it easier to start out that way. Hold it pretty much straight up and down. Practice - you'll get it.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 32

No, but they're gorgeous! I hope to be able to make some sometime.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 32

I saw this cake on Martha Stewart a couple of months ago, and was actually going to try to make it when I got a chance. JenniferMI made one as well and of course it is gorgeous. Its a very beautiful cake!! Can't wait to try it!

Jessica

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 32

In a book I have from the Culinary Institute (can't think of the title right now) there is a beautiful version. The cake is iced with light yellow buttercream, top and bottom border done in pale green and pink buttercream meringue roses on top and cascading down the side. I have made it a couple of times - really pretty. I need to post a picture.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 32

Is there a video showing how to make them? I know with the tip and all but how do you do it ?? Just make a swirl ? Help please !

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 32

You just hold the tip still and rotate the flower nail. You don't have to do the whole rose in one continuous motion - you can stop and start again but probably not more than once. I mixed up a whole batch of meringue and made a load of them. The first ones weren't that great but I definitely got the hang of it. I dried them out in the oven and I keep them in my fridge. All you need are the roses, a nice border, add a few leaves and your cake is done.

I'll have to post a picture of the one I did.

Another tip - I'm not the best with writing on cakes. I've started cutting little plaques out of fondant, letting them dry, writing on them with marker (since they will be tossed) and sticking them in the cake. I've had a good result with that also.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 32

Has anyone besides me noticed that Martha is not talking about SMBC, but Swiss Meringue, as in the meringue they use for pavlova - the hard, crispy stuff?

Has anyone made these roses in SMBC? Do they hold up, and do they stay on the side of the cake?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 32

You are so right - I used swiss meringue - not SMBC.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 32

I, too, used the meringue recipe. It made alot.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 32

mbh724. Thanks please post yours! Did you use the recipe from the link on the first post?

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 32

My recipe came from the book Cake Art from the Culinary Institute. I am sure it is the same as the first post.

I will post a picture tonight.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 32

We had someone bring in the full pic of this cake to the bakery I work at a few months ago! Of course we didn't have the meringue recipe, and OUR crispy meringue recipe doesn't hold it's shape that well, so we had a heck of a time trying to make the roses. I wasn't the one who made the roses, but I built and frosted the cake and arranged the roses... I wish I had it in my pics to show off icon_razz.gif but I haven't updated my photos is well over a year (since my computer died).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #23 of 32

But yeah you squeeze the bag and twirl the rose nail like a madman. I'd recommend the nails with the ridges on them but I'm sure that 's not necessary.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 32

Can you use the Wilton Meringue or will that not work as well?

mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #25 of 32

I uploaded my picture if anyone is interested. It is in my photos.

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #26 of 32

Asking anyone's opinion -

Do you think these would be easier to pipe on a bamboo skewer or dowel?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 32

I assume the recipe is on this site?? Want to try this!! They are really pretty.. and I am terrible at roses, unless they are fondant..

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #28 of 32

mbh724

Those are lovely! And so shiny!

I have a major birthday cake to do for this weekend. Perhaps I will give these a go. I'll have to think about it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #29 of 32

mcdonald

No, the recipe is not here, you have to go back to page 1 and go through the Martha link in the author's first post.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #30 of 32

Here's Wilton's instructions. I swear I thought I had seen a video when I first made my cake with them, but I cannot find it.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/ribbonroses.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%