Does Anyone Not Offer American Buttercream?

Business By mom42ws Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:27am by lilthorner

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #31 of 107

I offer both and let the client decide...I'd personally never use the powdered sugar version if I had a choice, but there are a good number of people who prefer it. I generally use IMBC for all of my fillings but will cover the cakes with whichever version the client likes. It's too sweet for my taste, but whatever...As long as they're paying, have at it icon_twisted.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #32 of 107

I'm in the only-ABC-if-you-beg club

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #33 of 107

I haven't personally made it with high ratio as I love the butter version (with only unsalted butter and lots of flavoring.. once you put in salted butter it tastes like a stick of butter with sugar in it IMHO )

I find it to be quite stable, but I don't deal with 100 degrees and 90% humidity constantly (though it has been REALLY freakin' hot lately) so I can't say for everyone.

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:59pm
post #34 of 107

well iam baking cakes for the lastt 28 years,adn its now that i haved learn about butter cream,i have allways use the cook frosting and cool wip with cream cheese and is good to work with and very flavorful icon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #35 of 107

I don't like any of the meringe buttercreams...I do make it for a friend that requests it, but I honestly prefer I guess the stuff that you guys don't like, lol.

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

What's your recipe? Maybe we can help you.

Well, I've tried a few different recipes. The most recent one I tried was:

1-1/2 cups egg whites
3 cups sugar
3 pounds unsalted butter
1 tbsp flavoring

I've tried switching some of the butter to high-ratio shortening, and that has not helped. I've also tried adding a couple tbsp of meringue powder and that has also not helped. I haven't tried IMBC yet. The whole sugar syrup freaks me out. Is IMBC more stable than SMBC?

Just curious, how many egg whites in 1 1/2 cups about 12 maybe?
The recipe I follow has
8 egg whites
2 c sugar
1 1/4 lb butter
1 tsp flavor
so I'm guessing
2/3 of your eggs
2/3 of your sugar
almost 1/3 of your butter
same amount flavor
I dunno I could be wrong, but it sounds like a lot more butter in your recipe.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:

Quote:

Same here! Its too humid here for use it for wedding cakes and I don't have walk in fridge to keep the cakes in! (I have a dedicated fridge, which will hold two cakes tiered cakes, tops!)

I would love to see a stablized recipe!

Lorie, I have the same problem (maybe it's because we are only 30 minutes away from one another with the same humidity problem)!

I would love to try a really, really great recipe that some of the PPs can recommend!

I am glad to see I am not alone! I don't know anyone in our area that isnt doing some sort of variation of buttercream....I just don't think the eggwhite/sugar based frostings like humidity!!

Sorry to break this to you all, but I am right over in Chapel Hill and we do all European buttercreams. Mostly IMBC, but for outdoor weddings, the german kind with the poured fondant in it holds very well.

no, that is good news! How do you keep it stablized on these hot, humid days? Even in a/c the humidity still creeps in, especaily in a crowd. Although you probalby have a walk in, right? Thats the only way i could see doing it, is have a walk in and keep the cake cold as can be up to delivery time...do you ever keep the cakes at a/c temp?

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #38 of 107

Well, my question is for those of you using the IMBC and SMBC do you make flowers and all decorations with it like you would make a rose on a flower nail?

Linda

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #39 of 107
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:

Quote:

Same here! Its too humid here for use it for wedding cakes and I don't have walk in fridge to keep the cakes in! (I have a dedicated fridge, which will hold two cakes tiered cakes, tops!)

I would love to see a stablized recipe!

Lorie, I have the same problem (maybe it's because we are only 30 minutes away from one another with the same humidity problem)!

I would love to try a really, really great recipe that some of the PPs can recommend!

I am glad to see I am not alone! I don't know anyone in our area that isnt doing some sort of variation of buttercream....I just don't think the eggwhite/sugar based frostings like humidity!!

Sorry to break this to you all, but I am right over in Chapel Hill and we do all European buttercreams. Mostly IMBC, but for outdoor weddings, the german kind with the poured fondant in it holds very well.

no, that is good news! How do you keep it stablized on these hot, humid days? Even in a/c the humidity still creeps in, especaily in a crowd. Although you probably have a walk in, right? Thats the only way i could see doing it, is have a walk in and keep the cake cold as can be up to delivery time...do you ever keep the cakes at a/c temp?

We blast freeze the icing between base coat and piping and keep it in the fridge until delivery, unless we're covering it in fondant. I've never had any problems with cakes kept at cool room temp, but if it i going to be otter we use the pored fondant based buttercream.[/url]

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #40 of 107

I don't like BC nor do I like IMBC. The first to sweet the second the butter after taste lasts two long in my mouth. I put on only the smallest amount of icing that I can get away with. Love Chocolate Fondant and gumpaste to work with. JMHO

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #41 of 107

I only do fondant! I wish I could do BC, but it is my Achille's Heal. Also, the Crisco stuff is terrible. I don't want to serve that to clients...

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #42 of 107

wow! i love that i decided to ask everyone. i had no idea people didn't serve american buttercream, or i guess i should call it the powdered sugar frosting....it's pretty yucky. although, i will say that i LOVE the no crust buttercream recipe here on cc. i usually add more liquid than is necessary and love the taste of the salt balancing the sweet.

ashley

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:37am
post #43 of 107

Just curious, from those IMBC and SMBC users: Do any of you use the rose dowel technique, rather than using a tip. Does IMBC pipe firm enough to make roses on a dowl (like the Youtube video).....?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:20pm
post #44 of 107

I love to work with SMBC but want to be able to make a chocolate that won't be to soft icon_sad.gif

I'd ice a cake with Oreo cream if I could icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #45 of 107

I always recommend Martha's SMBC recipe to those who are making it for the first time. Her instructions are clear and concise, and nobody I have recommended it to has come back to me and complained about the technique or taste.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.aced15a43a1d10e593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=59dbcf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab3c61876e70f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=print&rsc=communitytools_food&lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&page=1

I suggest that after learning how to make it correctly, then experiment with other SMBC recipes, until you find the one you like best.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #46 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linliv46

Well, my question is for those of you using the IMBC and SMBC do you make flowers and all decorations with it like you would make a rose on a flower nail?

Linda

I make imbc all the time and have piped flowers with it there are some in my pics.When I was pregnant I would make a batch of chocolate imbc,pasturized egg whited of course icon_biggrin.gif ,and just eat the whole thing out of the bowl.I love that stuff!

FromScratch Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #47 of 107

With chocolate SMBC you really need to make it and let it sit out at cool room temp for a while.. I usually do overnight. When it's just made it's SUPER soft, but it will be okay to ice a cake with so long as there isn't heavy decoration on the side.

Everyone who is saying that the MBC's are too buttery.. are you ising salted or un-salted butter? If you make it with all unsalted I don't think it tastes like butter at all.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #48 of 107

Both times that I tried SMBC I used salted butter. Next time I will try unsalted.

Thanks for all the help!!!

loriemoms Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #49 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I always recommend Martha's SMBC recipe to those who are making it for the first time. Her instructions are clear and concise, and nobody I have recommended it to has come back to me and complained about the technique or taste.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.aced15a43a1d10e593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=59dbcf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab3c61876e70f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=print&rsc=communitytools_food&lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&page=1

I suggest that after learning how to make it correctly, then experiment with other SMBC recipes, until you find the one you like best.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Can you make this with the egg whites from the carton?

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #50 of 107

I agree I hate the butter/shortening ratio. I use to use it in the beginning of cake decorating. But once I went to school and learn smbc I will not use anything else and I'm not a big fan of icing. But I also have yet have someone who doesn't like smbc once they taste it. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #51 of 107

loriemoms -

I must be honest, I do not normally buy the eggs in the carton, because the brands I find most often where I live all state that you cannot make a meringue out of them (I think the cartons say that they cannot be whipped). But I am told that there is a brand out there which can be whipped, I just do not remember the name.

I use the leftover yolks for pastry cream or egg custards.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #52 of 107

Playingwithsugar, I love cakespy too! (your avatar). I ordered some cards from her that I'm having framed, I love her artwork!

Sorry to hijack the thread...now back to your regularly scheduled programming icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #53 of 107

you guys are just evil! Just as I get nice and comfy inside my box, I read all these great descriptions of these icings that I figured were just too much work to deal with .... and I'm fighting that leg of mine that's trying to climb out of that box to get me thinking about (gulp!) trying something new!

Shame on you all! icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #54 of 107

Ooooooh.. watch out Debi.. we'll have you baking from scratch before long.. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #55 of 107
Quote:

Ooooooh.. watch out Debi.. we'll have you baking from scratch before long.. icon_wink.gif

(In her best Capt Kirk/Star Trek voice, she says) "Must .... stop .... arm ... from reaching ... for ... SIFTER!!!! Must ... get .... cake mix!! aaauuuggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #56 of 107

I am with you indydebi, sitting here thinking who can i bake a cake for to give this a try and see how much work it is...lol..I do have a question how easy is it to make?? Can you substitute real egg whites for the powdered egg whites???

FromScratch Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #57 of 107

You can use reconsituted powdered egg whites. One cup of egg whites is the quivalent to the whites of 8-10 large eggs.

**just wanted to add that this is powdered whites and not meringue powder. icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:14am
post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

you guys are just evil! Just as I get nice and comfy inside my box, I read all these great descriptions of these icings that I figured were just too much work to deal with .... and I'm fighting that leg of mine that's trying to climb out of that box to get me thinking about (gulp!) trying something new!

Shame on you all! icon_rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean!!!! I am tempted as well....do I dare make a change??

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:28am
post #59 of 107

Come on, IndyDebi and Loriemoms -

It is time to come over to the other side~!

Give in to the temptation - just think of the lure of watching your egg whites beat to stiff peaks, knowing the creaminess which awaits - the smooth feeling on the palate, no more powdered sugar grit on the back of your teeth with each bite.

No more reading labels to see the trans-fat content of your shortening!

It's time to come over to the other side~!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:49am
post #60 of 107

jkalman, you have a lot of helpful information. Thanks for sharing! Do the powdered egg whites taste as good as the real thing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%