Why Does This Happen To My Cakes?

Decorating By Winter1979 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm by mamacc

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

I bake a WASC cake of any flavor - let it cool completely, then wrap it in saran wrap. I leave it out at room temp, when I unwrap it it feels very wet and almost gummy. What do I need to do to stop this from happening?

TIA

7 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 8

I get that too... I always unwrap at least a few hours before I want to decorate and drape a light towel over it to keep the kids away and allow the outside to dry up just a little...

As for prevention I have no suggestions

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 8

Wrapping your cake tightly causes that. It's the moisture in your cake that turns on it's self. If I'm leaving a cake just overnight, out at room temp I just loosely cover. I have the large white kitchen towels I use to cover them. It lets in enough air, doesn't dry them out.

If you are freezing them, yes, tightly cover to prevent freezer burn, but uncover loosely to thaw.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

The same thing happens to me when I bake it using white cake. I don't notice it too much with chocolate cake.

I just cut that part off...

anxious to find out what everyone else says...

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks terrylee, I also have this trouble. I guess the reason the cake is so well liked is the same reason we have trouble working with it. Well worth it though.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #6 of 8

I have this trouble when I turn the cake out of the pan onto a cooling rack. I notice that the counter would get a little damp from the steam off the cake and the top of the cake that is gooey.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #7 of 8

I've had the same trouble with my wasc. Almost too moist to work with. It can be really tricky. I've heard that too much fat in a recipe can do this. I've tried cutting the fat a little by using light sour cream, every thing else the same. I think it helps. The cake is still moist but not as sticky. If you don't want to try that, make sure you spray no stick spray to any plastic, parment paper, ect. you put on or around the cake. It will help so that it wont stick when removed! thumbs_up.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 8

I usally freeze mine, and they do get a little gummy when I thaw them, but then I just cut the tops off and the cakes come out perfectly moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%