Need Opinions On Class Prices.

Decorating By Sugarflowers Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37am by korkyo

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #31 of 47

Your numbers make a lot of sense Michelle. Something else to consider is having an ICES event host and the ICES members put you up (they're known to do that.) It's an option anyway. Hope that helps and don't let anyone tell you you're not famous enough -- your work stands on its own and I would love to study with you! icon_biggrin.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #32 of 47

A class with you would definitely be worth $250. Your work is amazing.

I would travel to Dallas for your class but if you decided to travel and teach then there are ways to cut your costs. You could stay with the hostess and she could drive you around. Also, You could find a free or cheap place to rent like a church, a park rec center, or a room at a craft store. We don't need padded chairs. icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #33 of 47

Thank you everyone for the replies. The class is still an option. I haven't given up on it yet. I would really like to do it.

The location that I found just happens to have padded chairs. I thought this was a great plus. It's hard on the hind end to sit on hard chairs. Since it's a hotel conference room, there is the option of student staying there at a reduced rate, and food can be delivered to the class.

I don't know what is available for transportation from the airport, so I planned to rent a car. I don't want to be a burden to anyone or dependent on anyone. It's not that I HAVE to rent a car, this is just one of components that I have to consider.

If anyone is interested in the class, please let me know and I will get a date set. I'm thinking towards the end of October, say the third or fourth week.

Thanks for all of the support. It means a lot to me.

Michele

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #34 of 47

Michele as in Michele Foster? Um, yeah, I'd pay $250 for a two day class with you, my dear. Any. Day. Of. The. Week. You are highly talented and worth $250. Your flowers are amazing and legendary. Do not undersell yourself.

Few people really understand what it costs to put on a class. You should know that most instructors put out a supply list of things students need to bring to class. It's great that Nick can supply those things but he's well established and he makes up for it with the things people buy in class. So, for whatever you can't supply yourself, just send out a supply list.

We'd love to have you teach a class here in Austin. I'd advise against October (in Texas) for your class because Lorraine McKay will be here from Scotland teaching her class. November might be better. Ok, I may be being selfish but I don't want to miss your class!

One of the things I've done to help our students out is to set up subscription payments via PayPal so that folks can spread the expense out over as many months as possible. That really helps take the sting out of a $250 class. I've been quite successful in filling our classes early and banking enough money ahead of time to be able to pay for our expenses. To save expenses in the beginning teach classes in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. Places you don't have to buy plane tickets to get to.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #35 of 47

Hi Michelle, If you were teaching class within reasonable driving distance from me, I would love to take a class from you. Fame has nothing to do with it. You are so extremely talented!! Thanks for considering opening your options up to sharing with us icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #36 of 47

"We'd love to have you teach a class here in Austin. I'd advise against October (in Texas) for your class because Lorraine McKay will be here from Scotland teaching her class. November might be better. Ok, I may be being selfish but I don't want to miss your class!

One of the things I've done to help our students out is to set up subscription payments via PayPal so that folks can spread the expense out over as many months as possible. That really helps take the sting out of a $250 class. I've been quite successful in filling our classes early and banking enough money ahead of time to be able to pay for our expenses. To save expenses in the beginning teach classes in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. Places you don't have to buy plane tickets to get to."

kylakae, thanks so much for the compliments and ideas! I didn't know that you could do a payment plan through PayPal. I use PayPal for selling the DVDs. I also don't mind waiting until November. That would probably be easier for me too and I wouldn't want you to miss the class. icon_biggrin.gif

I am considering Houston because I have gotten a lot of requests for that. I guess it depends on where I can get a class room at a reasonable rate. It would be nice to not have to pay for a flight and a rental car. I do love to travel.

loriana, I don't know how far a reasonable driving distance would be for you. I know it's a heck of drive from McKinney, TX to Memphis. Maybe I could work on a class in Little Rock, AR. Would these be feasible for you and anyone else that might read this?

There is no way I can thank everyone here on CC for their support. You have certainly made me feel better. I know the comments made to me privately were not meant to be hurtful, but they were very disheartening.

Thanks again,

Michele

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #37 of 47

Little Rock is definitely do-able. If you are seriously considering it at some point, PM me and I can send you the email of our chapter's vice president for our area. She has, like, the mailing list of emails of 100+ decorators in the Memphis area and always is so sweet to pass the word on to people when there is training or a class being offered. Thanks Michelle icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #38 of 47

If I can get to TX in Nov i'll be there!! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #39 of 47

November in Houston would be perfect!!!!

Sign me up! icon_biggrin.gif

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #40 of 47

Im just a beginner but i have always wanted to learn gumpaste flowers!!! I live in houston and would be there in a heartbeat for you to teach me!!! let us know cuz im down!

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #41 of 47

Let me know when you finalize your class details and I'll put it in my monthly newsletter. It reaches approximately 200 readers.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #42 of 47

I would definitely come! I love your dvd, but seeing it face to face would be amazing! I'm not sure I could make a November class, but I could definitely do the one in April if you are going to do one then!

Also, I'm not sure how many veggies there are who may come to your class, but if you could offer a vegetarian option for your lunch...that would seal the deal for me!

Whoo hoo!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

If you were taking or even teaching a gumpaste class, what would you expect the price to be? Does $250 seem fair for a two day class? The gumpaste will be provided and supplies and tools will be available to buy.

Thanks for your help.

Michele

Hi Michele!

Just looking at your avatar pic and nothing else would make me happy to pay the price that you have asked. If you ever think of coming out to Raleigh to teach a class I'd be happy to put you up and drive you around!!! The bouquet is absolutely amazing btw!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

fluttercakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #44 of 47

I'd be able to come to NC, unless you are in the Atlanta, GA area and can teach here...that would be even better!

Sugarflowers Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:52pm
post #45 of 47

It would be great to be able to come to NC or Atlanta! It's going to take some planning to do all of this.

There are a couple of problems. First, I do have a regular job and getting time off might be a problem. Second, I need to have at least 6 students to even make it feasible for me to give a class. Third, because I have Multiple Sclerosis, I have to be very careful to no over do. Although I want to do many things, having someone call 911 for me is not one of them. icon_lol.gif

You have no idea how much this thread has boosted my morale. The outpouring of support and wonderful comments has brought tears to my eyes. Things have been a little hard on so many fronts recently. So reading your comments has been wonderful. Thank you SO MUCH.

As soon as I get some more details on a class, I will let you know. Since November is coming up pretty quickly, maybe moving the class to April, after the Sugarwonders Cake Show might be a better idea. It's in McKinney, TX at the end of April. I would still like to try for November though.

Something will work. I'm just going to put it into God's hands and go from there.

Thanks again everyone!

Michele

p.s. Stacie, since I am pretty much a no veggie person I had not thought about a vegetarian option. Please give me some info on what you would like and I'll do my best. This is an area in which I know very little. icon_smile.gif

fluttercakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #46 of 47

Michele,

PLEASE come to Atlanta in November, please, please! It'll be a fabulous birthday present for me (giggle)! I know of quite a few Georgians that would be so willing to come learn from you.

As for the veggie option, it's really easy as long as the person isn't vegan (I'm not), so veggie subs/sandwiches, interesting salads (I'm not talking lettuce, tomatoes, and carrots...blah, too boring icon_lol.gif), veggie burgers, hummus, etc, etc. It all depends on if the vegetarian eats dairy products as to if you include cheese and such...but if they don't, they can always pull that off. I can't tell you how many times I've had to do that for other items icon_wink.gif!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #47 of 47

I diden't read through quiet all of this but many people will open up their homes to have a class done for them. IE the hostest would get a discount of some sort or the actual class free.

If her place is big enough to have the class then that takes care of the other expense. The hostest would provide an easy lunch also. Some people also have other options to help you find a location to teach if you just ask. Churches are great for helping out for a small donation.

Your work is fantastic too!!! Well worth the 250.00. I'd say try to reduce your cost and make it worth your while!!!! You deserve to be paid. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%