Making Mmf

Decorating By TonyaBakes Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm by moxey2000

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 16

I haven't worked with fondant alot, really have just made a few cutouts using fondant so I have always just used wilton. I know it doesn't taste that good but I have used very little on cakes I have decorated. Tonight for the first time I have a cake for an anniversary that needs to a lil more elegant looking and is going to be covered in fondant. I'm going to make MMF with the recipe from here. Have never tried it before so I just wanted to see if some of you more experienced ppl have any tips or suggestions before I get started? Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 16

Good luck with your first try with MMF. When I was in class we used wilton. As I started making more cakes I tried MMF. It was a big difference, to fore warn you. I not sure what recipe you have, but it tears more easily, especialy covering a cake. It's not quite as elastic. What recipe did you make?

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 16

I really like the taste of mmf. I have had it behave beautifully, and I have had it give me fits. It can certainly be overworked, esp through coloring. Good luck. I plan to try Toba's next. Give it a try though definitely.

mrswatkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswatkins Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 16

I have only used the mmf for covering cake and I like the way it works I wasn't really fond of the Wiltons fondant

prtyinduo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prtyinduo Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 16

i really liked the recipe that calls for the corn syrup. i did my neices cake with it and i also liked how my roses turned out. Yes it can be difficult to work with but that to me is part of the learning experience. will be posting pics of ithe cakes.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 16

I may have made it sound like I like Wiltons, which I don't. I never use it anymore. It taste bad. I now use michele fosters fondant it taste great & is easy to make & work with. It's here on the CC site.

Tarsha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarsha Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 16

I have made Toba's several times: It taste good, however, it tears and gave me a lot of headache. I have since tried Satin Ice. I love it. It tastes fine and is much easier to work with. It rolls out perfectly and saves me a lot of time in the kitchen. It is wonderful. I just charge a little extra to cover the cost.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 16

I use Micheles Ultimate Fondant. It taste better and with the corn syrup added is easy to use.

I use my KA to make it and it takes only minutes. If you don't have one it will come out just the same.

Make sure you let it sit over night if you can before using it.

Also once it's made give it a good coat of crisco, cover it tightly with saran wrap or the press and seal stuff and then put in a zip top bag. Get out as much air as possible.

HTH

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 16

I second the vote for Michelle Foster's fondant. It tastes great and is easy to work with. I did not have very good luck with the MMF.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 16

I've made if a few times. Love the taste. I haven't had trouble working with it at all. One tip though, when you're making it, make sure you really grease all of the equipment you're using---including the bowl you melt the marshmallows in, the paddle on your mixer, the mixer bowl and the counter you knead it on. Very, very sticky stuff! Good luck!

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 16

I love MMF. Just remember if it tears or rips it means its too dry and needs either a bit of water or some more crisco. I even do my figures from MMF. icon_biggrin.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 16

My version, derived from trial and error. Very simple and not messy.

Note: Make certain your marshmallows are *Fresh*. As long as they are then you shouldn't need any extra water or Crisco.

Use a large pyrex bowl (not too large for your microwave). Grease the bowl with Crisco. Pour a 16oz bag of Marshmallows into the bowl, then add 2 Tbls of water and 2 tsps of flavoring (vanilla or whatever). Microwave on high for 60 seconds, then stir with a greased wooden spoon. Microwave 30 seconds more if needed, to melt all the MMs. Now place the bowl onto a folded towel on your countertop. Pour in 1/2 of a 2 lb bag of sifted confectioner's sugar and stir with the wooden spoon. Once this is mixed in then put the spoon aside and rub a little Crisco onto your hands. Pour in a the other 1/2 of sifted conf. sugar and begin mixing with your hands. If it starts to stick to your hands just use a little more Crisco. Once a ball forms knead it a few times, then put the whole ball onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up nice and snug, with no air. Put the whole thing into a ziplock bag and press out the air and seal. Now let it rest for a couple of hours or overnight. The whole process from start to finish takes only a few minutes. It took me longer to sift the sugar thumbs_up.gif !

When you're ready to roll out the fondant use cornstarch, not conf. sugar. The constarch is SO much better, makes the fondant nice and easy to work with and it cleans up with a soft pastry brush once it's on the cake.

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

TonyaBakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you all so much for your responses. I guess its more of a personal pref. as to which fondant works best but I can't wait to give the MMF a try. Thank you moxey2000 for the play by play, that helps alot. Thank you all so much for the tips! icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 16

I try to make my MMF early and let it cure for a few days before using. I roll it out between 2 sheets of vinyl using no sugar, crisco or corn starch. I also add nothing when kneading. This seems to work better and seems to keep the fondant strong so it won't tear. When going cut-outs etc, I do add crisco or sugar sometimes.

TonyaBakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you all for your advice, I did really well for the first time with MMF. Just curious but have any of you ever worked with poured fondant or have any good recipes? Thanks!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 16

I've never made poured fondant, but there's a recipe for it in the Wilton Yearbooks.

*bump* thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%