Ace Of Cakes Really Isn't That Great...

Decorating By Shakti Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 6:46am by Curtsmin24

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #151 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by flg22275

OMG!... You mean I am not the only caker that knows COBOL. Doing it as I type. icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, this is just scary. I think we need to post a thread, "How many cake decorators are also computer programmers?" I know COBOL too though I haven't done it in years.

Cake decorating computer geeks icon_confused.gif What's the connection? icon_eek.gif Hmmm? icon_confused.gif

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:17am
post #152 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg22275

OMG!... You mean I am not the only caker that knows COBOL. Doing it as I type. icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, this is just scary. I think we need to post a thread, "How many cake decorators are also computer programmers?" I know COBOL too though I haven't done it in years.

Cake decorating computer geeks icon_confused.gif What's the connection? icon_eek.gif Hmmm? icon_confused.gif

I may not be doing COBOL (stuck in databases right now), but I'll put my hand up as a fellow computer programmer / cake decorator!

I've ony caught Duff's show a few times, but it is all entertainment and definitely not instruction. I'd love a show that was more like Sugar and showed people how to make those amazing cakes! (hmm... maybe Aine2 could do one, she has the most amazing instructional videos for gumpaste modeling, I bow down to her icon_biggrin.gif)

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #153 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Yeah, I understand that. Tell that to my sister.

Aint' family usually the biggest PITA? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

YES!!! They are.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #154 of 234

I didn't read through all the pages on this topic. but no amen from me.

Some are saying that Duff isn't the best cake decorator out there...but then again, there's always someone who will be better at icing than you, someone who pipes better than you, someone who stacks better than you, etc.
He learned like most of us- starting in his apartment. Why should some of us piss on his parade because he has show? I say good for him! He's taught me a lot and inspires me. I'm working full time and making cakes- FROM MY APARTMENT.

I know that I'm not the greatest decorator, but I sure do give myself a pat on the back for where I am today. I'm sure that if someone on here had their on show and found out that people didn't think they deserved it, that's pretty judgemental.

Again, kudos to Duff and his staff. They do excellent work and I only hope that one day I would be able to meet him or watch him make one of his awesome cakes!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #155 of 234

I say AMEN I love the show and that is has brought this art to the spotlight but I would REALLY like to learn more from the show.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #156 of 234

As far as Cake Diva is concerned, I meet her several times at convention and she is a very nice person.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #157 of 234

I love Ace of Cakes it's very entertaining. I mean come on if your a cakester why wouldn't it be. There are times I think.... I don't know if I would use all the non-edibles. The cakes sometimes seem not so tasty looking to me, but then I read an article in our local mag. about him & how many flavors & about the ingredients he uses. So I vote that he is really someone special in the cake industry.

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #158 of 234

I have to admit I LOVE the show (when I can watch it!).

The show is NOT meant to TEACH anyone, it's entertainment for the food network. If you are hoping to "learn" from the show you can learn based on the mistakes he makes.

Duff never said he was the best decorator out there, the Food Network offered him the position for ratings! There are many great decorators out there and many that post on this site, so let's not "hate" but congratulate Duff on his accomplishment! icon_lol.gif

I am so excited Duff has a show and website, it inspires many of my customers.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #159 of 234

Well, I never said that i didn't think he and his staff were great at what they do I just thought some of his smaller cakes were expensive. I have my dvr set to record his show b/c it's entertaining, i get great ideas, and i can't wait to see what he comes up with next. I checked to see if they allow visitors but they don't. I think they should move into a bigger building, set up a viewing room, and charge admission....I would pay.

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #160 of 234

I can't read through all of the posts...but I just checked out their site for the first time (I can't believe I haven't before now!) and their minimum order is $1000!!!!!!!!! ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmmm...I wouldn't pay $100 for some of their small cakes! Are all of their customers REALLY paying that much?!?!?!?! I can't believe that they are! Some are quite small and simple IMO.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #161 of 234

I believe that some one pay for his cakes. People like to be latched to fame. It's all about marketing and making the right connection. One of us may be on TV one day you never know. Duff has a great personality and has the right mix with his staff. He hired his friends. I love his show and he has been an inspiration to me. Yes there are more talented people than he is and I'm sure he knows that but isn't there always some one bigger and badder that you but that's life icon_smile.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #162 of 234

It may be a small, simple cake, but that 'simple' cake is being made in one of the most visible and in-demand bakeries in the world. They almost can't afford to charge less. That lofty starting tag at least weeds out 98% of customers who would be wasting their time or trying to pull the proverbial 'Champagne taste on a Wal-Mart budget' shenannigans that many of us here on CC see all the time.

Even then I bet there are people out there who have called Charm City and saying something like "Ohh, I have this really important high profile party next weekend and we MUST have a Duff cake!! It needs to feed 500 people and covered in gumpaste decorations, but think of aaaaaaall the people you will make happy and the publicity you will get! And I'll even pay $200!!! I hope you aren't taping a show when I come to pick it up, I'd be sooo shy in front of the camera *teehee*"

...actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they get calls like that all day long icon_sad.gif Fame is a double edged sword indeed

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #163 of 234

Their now $1000 min. order used to be $500 min. order just a few months ago so they have just recently uped this.......WOW! Even if I were filthy stinking rich I'd never spend $1000 on a cake that will be eaten!!!!! People who blow their money on $1000 cakes are .......well never mind.LOL Let's just say their $1000 could be more ususeful if spent else where!

sugarcheryl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:14pm
post #164 of 234

You know you could be right CeeTee about the $ My instructor Toba said she up her prices so people did not waste her time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #165 of 234

Remember, that $1000 price tag isn't paying for "just a cake". There's a lot of engineering knowledge that goes into the creation of the cakes that come out of Charm City.

As I watch the show, my shop-owner eye is looking at their overhead costs. I'm watching to see how long it takes his designers to create all of those fondant figures; how long it takes Geoff to build the frame(s) for the cakes and the cost of those materials; transporting/delivering the cake .... for every hour that staffer is on the road with a cake, that's time they are NOT creating another (billable) cake.

I recently saw the episode where he made the superbowl cake and flew his staff to Florida ... airfare, drive time/expenses, hotel rooms, transporting all of the needed equipment, the cakes, hoping nothing was forgotten and left in the shop. That's a lot of expense involved in making a cake.

The more I watch it, the more I see how they go above and beyond on each and every cake. No ..... no one is paying $1000 minimum for "a cake". They are getting much much more than that.

sugarcheryl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #166 of 234

I totally agree. A lot does go into those cakes and I would be willing to pay for that service and time if I really wanted a cake by Duff.

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #167 of 234

I like to watch the show myself, but i often wonder about food safety. or the lack thereof. no hair nets or restraints, or gloves touching the product that the sustomers are gonna eat. i work in a bakery and we pride ourselves on food safety. each employee is trained and certified in food safety.(gloves, hair restraints, no jewerly, just to name a few)

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #168 of 234
Quote:

Remember, that $1000 price tag isn't paying for "just a cake". There's a lot of engineering knowledge that goes into the creation of the cakes that come out of Charm City.

As I watch the show, my shop-owner eye is looking at their overhead costs. I'm watching to see how long it takes his designers to create all of those fondant figures; how long it takes Geoff to build the frame(s) for the cakes and the cost of those materials; transporting/delivering the cake .... for every hour that staffer is on the road with a cake, that's time they are NOT creating another (billable) cake.

I recently saw the episode where he made the superbowl cake and flew his staff to Florida ... airfare, drive time/expenses, hotel rooms, transporting all of the needed equipment, the cakes, hoping nothing was forgotten and left in the shop. That's a lot of expense involved in making a cake.

The more I watch it, the more I see how they go above and beyond on each and every cake. No ..... no one is paying $1000 minimum for "a cake". They are getting much much more than that.

Seriously...overhead and knowledge???? Have you seen the site's pictures???? Some of the fancy cakes...ok. But a caterpillar (I thought it was a ladybug!) or baby blocks $1000????? $50 max!!!!

Those fancy things they do on TV are FOR TV!!!!!!!!! And they are getting paid by Food Network are they not?!?!?!?!?! Do you really think Duff flew his entire crew to FLA to deliver a cake (which if you read their terms on their site they do NOT deliver more than 4 hours away and do NOT ship cakes) And they charge $175/hour to deliver to the regular order.

nickymom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #169 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennianne

Quote:

Seriously...overhead and knowledge???? Have you seen the site's pictures???? Some of the fancy cakes...ok. But a caterpillar (I thought it was a ladybug!) or baby blocks $1000????? $50 max!!!!

Those fancy things they do on TV are FOR TV!!!!!!!!! And they are getting paid by Food Network are they not?!?!?!?!?! Do you really think Duff flew his entire crew to FLA to deliver a cake (which if you read their terms on their site they do NOT deliver more than 4 hours away and do NOT ship cakes) And they charge $175/hour to deliver to the regular order.

I agree w/ Jennianne!

Duff is fun to watch and yes his staff does turn out some great looking cakes & I know they take lots of time....heck my cakes take forever but I'd still never spend a $1000 on a cake no matter if it took a month to make! The cake will be eaten in 5 minutes and a less expensize yet still personalized cake will look just as pretty in the scrapboook.LOL

If I had $1000 to blow on a cake I sure wouldn't do it....I'd put my $1000 to better use!

But guess what Duff laughs all the way to the bank because there are apparently people who do squander their money on his cakes.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #170 of 234

I love to watch Ace of Cakes! Geof is my favorite, I love his sense of humor. I love the whole staff. They are in Anaheim this weekend and I'm soooooooo BUMMED I can't go =(

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #171 of 234

I like to watch the show. They're a very creative crew, they work long hours and enjoy what they do. They've brought a lot of attention to the cake industry by showing the viewing public that cakes don't have to be round or rectangular. Duff and his people aren't the best and seems like I've heard he's said that himself, but they have talent and people want what they can provide. In my income bracket no, I wouldn't and couldn't pay his prices. But if others can and will I say "hey, go for it!" I wouldn't pay to have someone else do my nails every few weeks either but if you can afford it and want it go ahead. I don't know how Duff made it to TV land but he did and he has a huge audience and evidently all the cake orders he wants to handle so good for him.

Quote:
Quote:

But guess what Duff laughs all the way to the bank because there are apparently people who do squander their money on his cakes.

I'm sure by now anyone who orders one of Duff's cakes knows they're paying for the name too. Just as I'm sure the show has boosted the demand for his product. Look at the requests they get! People come to him because they can get the unique cakes they want for whatever their occasion. Who am I to say they're squandering their moo-la? When I go a cake supply store I have to watch myself very carefully so I don't squander my money on stuff I may not even use for a year
(or more...oops).

There are lots of decorators here and out there who absolutely blow me away with the gorgeous cakes they can create. Duff sure isn't taking any business away from me. I'm not sure why anyone would be bothered by his success.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:04pm
post #172 of 234

I love Duff. His laugh, sense of humor, and easy-going personality make him so fun to watch. Also, every single one of his staff is super talented. I always marvel at how good each one is. I couldn't afford one of his cakes, but seriously with some of the things people waste their money on, a unique cake made to order for a very special event is worth it, if you can afford it. I think ugly "designer" clothes are a waste of money. Others, like my sister, will gladly shell out $500 for a pair of dinky shoes that make her feet swell up in pain. The whole price issue comes down to personal preference. We all have things we will spend more for than others think is reasonable. I think most cakes are under priced, so I love to see cake decorators get paid for cakes what they really are worth. Just because someone has fun at what they do, doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid well for it. If you have fun at your job, love it, and get paid well, then lucky you! Don't we all wish we could enjoy our jobs AND make a great living? I sure do!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #173 of 234

Ace of cakes crew is great. I am typing right now at the food expo in Anaheim. Just finished another Ace of cake taping. Geoff, Duff, Mary Alice are down to earth and answered questions from the audience.

At the anaheim show was showing us how to cut a topsy turvy cake and decorate it with wires and fondant shaped beads.

I have another ticket to see him tommorrow for the meet and greet event with Duff and Crew.

The food expo is great- many vendors giving free chocolate samples, ice cream, gelatto, salsa, wine, olive oil and bread, cakes , cookies etc.

I guessed I gained a few pounds. I will heading to Disneyland to burn some calories. This food expo is great! www.abfevents.com

There is even a cake decorating competition show with top students from a culinary school.

nickymom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #174 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I like to watch the show. They're a very creative crew, they work long hours and enjoy what they do. They've brought a lot of attention to the cake industry by showing the viewing public that cakes don't have to be round or rectangular. Duff and his people aren't the best and seems like I've heard he's said that himself, but they have talent and people want what they can provide. In my income bracket no, I wouldn't and couldn't pay his prices. But if others can and will I say "hey, go for it!" I wouldn't pay to have someone else do my nails every few weeks either but if you can afford it and want it go ahead. I don't know how Duff made it to TV land but he did and he has a huge audience and evidently all the cake orders he wants to handle so good for him.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure by now anyone who orders one of Duff's cakes knows they're paying for the name too. Just as I'm sure the show has boosted the demand for his product. Look at the requests they get! People come to him because they can get the unique cakes they want for whatever their occasion. Who am I to say they're squandering their moo-la? When I go a cake supply store I have to watch myself very carefully so I don't squander my money on stuff I may not even use for a year
(or more...oops).

There are lots of decorators here and out there who absolutely blow me away with the gorgeous cakes they can create. Duff sure isn't taking any business away from me. I'm not sure why anyone would be bothered by his success.

LOL CarolAnn it's ok for us to disagree I take no offense. icon_smile.gif I just believe that when money is spend extravagantly (squandering) that it's wrong......$1000 on a cake is spending extravagantly in my opinion as is
spending extravagantly on shoes, purses, & clothes, and even houses as the rich & famous do. I guess I'm just a modest person who doesn't need to have the the most expensive cake, shoes, purses, clothes , cars, house......I like to have nice things but I have a limit that is very reasonable because I don't like squandering money on anything. I would feel bad spending $1000 on a cake that will be eaten in 5 minutes.....to me that is money squandered. But I guess it has been proven the more money a person makes the more they spend,huh. Anyway, Duff's is loving it ...let 'em squander away because it's fattening his wallet.LOL I don't blame him though. If someone gave me $1000 for a cake I'd think they were nuts but I'd take it anyway. Duff is seizing on his opportunity (as he should) and if there are people willing to squander money on one of his cake then good for him.right?LOL

*EDIT* please don't get me wrong I LOVE watching Duff & his crew on the show! Geoff is my favorite!! I would love to see them working in person ....LOL...

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #175 of 234

bundtdiva, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! I couldn't get anyone to watch my kids this weekend. I want to go meet them so bad! Maybe next time =(

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #176 of 234

I was watching a recent episode where Mary Alice answered the phone and said, "Oh, another hang-up" and she said she got many, many of those each day. I'm guessing their fame has made people just call them up to hear her answer the phone or see if Ace of Cakes really exists or some nonsense like that. It just made me feel so sorry for her to be on the receiving end of that silliness or stalking or whatever it was. It was kind of eye-opening for me...just that minute of revelation...about the bad part of fame. I know phone calls like that would freak me out a bit.

pinkalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkalicious Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #177 of 234

All I have to say is that Duff and his staff are great. They inspire me and their work excites me. I only hope to be that good one day!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #178 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennianne

But a caterpillar (I thought it was a ladybug!) or baby blocks $1000????? $50 max!!!!

A number of CC'ers have posted that they won't even turn their oven on for less than $60 or $100. They/we have a minimum for our small business the same way that Charm City has a minimum for it's large business.

That means if someone wants me to make them a 6" cake, then they are paying my $60 minimum fee for it. Why? Because they are eating up my time with a piddly little 6" cake that just does not pay for the overhead involved in making it. When I'm screwing around with a $25 cake, then that is time that I could be spending with a bride booking a $3000 wedding, or working on the $450 wedding cake. That $25 cake does not even begin to cover the expenses of running a business like mine....$25 would not even pay my staff to make that little cake, and my staffers are 15 and 16 year old high schoolers!!! Nowhere NEAR the talented crew that Duff has!

Duff has the same business sense. He has a talented staff that I'm sure make more than minimum wage and to tie them up making a $50 cake is not only nuts, but a bad business decision.

The $1000 is not paying for "just a cake" .... it's much more than that.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #179 of 234

maybe I can pay the min. $1000.00 but tell them to keep the cake, just let me play with them for the day.
wouldn't that be cool?

and I really don't have $1000.00 but if I did maybe I'd call Mary Alice and order that. hehe

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:24am
post #180 of 234

i have to say i watch the show all the time... including the reruns.. i used to tivo it but i dont anymore bc they give it alot...

but anyways, duff's laugh is histerical!!! it cracks me up!!!

an geof... he is like a silent sad puppy i want to spank... that is sooooo bad... my DH is going to kill me for that one.. but for real he is so pacifistic i just love it... and makes me want to grab him and shake him...

anyways i watch bc i love the people, and he inspired my interestigly placed flowers, stripes, dots.... all to hide the fingerprints... i love the fact that he said that!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%