post #211 of 234

I love Geoff.

That is all.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #212 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I also know from watching the show that if it weren't for Geoff and the other highly-talented people on his staff, his shop (and show) wouldn't be nearly as popular.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...and I love that Duff is ALWAYS acknowledging what a talented group of people he has on staff. He knows he's got something special there and isn't afraid to give credit where credit is due.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #213 of 234

$1000.00 is the norm for celebrity cake decorators. Elissa Straus (sp?) also has a $1,000.00 minimium. I bet they have to turn orders away because they're so popular!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #214 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

$1000.00 is the norm for celebrity cake decorators. Elissa Straus (sp?) also has a $1,000.00 minimium. I bet they have to turn orders away because they're so popular!

gotta love that there are ppl willing to pay for talent! REally when i see the work that some of those girls/guys do it amazes me. I hope they are getting paid well for their artwork.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #215 of 234

Oh yah, Marina Souza has an $800 minimum for any kind of cake order. Im sure once their seen on tv a couple of times their business is booming! I know Duff has atleast a year and a half waiting period he is so over booked.
Thats always a nice feeling knowing that your busy that far in advance.
And he does credit his staff to his success. I believe most of the employees have art majors from the University of Baltimore or Peobody. The one girl (cant remember her name at the moment) did that portrait from that guys book. It was astounding! And I can see someone paying $1000 for that cake just for the time and just the artwork that went into it. Also, he does A LOT of traveling with his deliveries. So he has to make the price go with the amount of time him and his employees put into it, along with supplies, and just the gas to get it there! So yah, driving a rayshark to Kentucky, I think they got a bargain at $1000! (probably was a bit higher than that but you get the drift).
I had saw in one bridal magazine that they had prices of what to expect for wedding cakes. They had the average bakery charging between $5-$8 a slice and a FN Celebrity Chef cake being $1100 a slice! Yikes! But people will pay it if they have the money and sometimes even when they dont!
And like I said before, Im not going to judge the taste unless I have a piece. One person's heaven can be someone else saying Yuck! So going by someone else is opinion isnt really correct. Some people like super sweet frosting and others dont. But that is what cake tastings are for. If they bought a $1000 cake just because it came from his shop then it was their fault. They should of did a cake tasting and if they didnt like it, then they didnt have to buy it!!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #216 of 234

I love Ace of Cakes! I think that Duff and his staff work very well together. They all play a very important role in the cakes that come from their bakery. You will usually see more than one of them at a time working on the same cake. They make each other better. Yes, there are other decorators that are just as talented out there, but they probably don't have a show because they don't have the funny personalities of the Ace staff.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:44am
post #217 of 234

I did not read thru all these posts(too many)- but did Debbie ever comment? 'cause she was on a cake challenge- the simpsons one- and her sculpting is amazing! she is very precise. If I remember right- it was very stressful and if you asked her- she probably wouldn't want a show! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:54am
post #218 of 234

I think Mary Smith should get more camera time! I luv watching her create her art and the camera is never on her enough!! MORE MARY! MORE MARY!! MORE MARY!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #219 of 234

I have to give Ace of Cakes credit!! My wife and i love the show and we are now making cakes for the fun of it. The learning process and time spent together has really made this hobby fun. We have given every cake away and appreciate the nice comments we get. Afterall here we are learning from all of you on Cake Central. We know Duff and his crew aren't the best decorators but it's more about the fun of the project not always the end result.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #220 of 234

i like the ace of cakes show, i learn a lot by watching it....little tips and tricks. I also wanted to say that the cakes start at 1000.00 and go up from there.....so that book she painted could have cost more than that.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:51am
post #221 of 234

I think he and his crew are fun and entertaining, but I get so sick of people coming to my consultation saying, "Have you ever seen that guy on FN?" ah no, I never watch cake related shows. lol. It just gets annoying. I understand that they are not cake people, but it gets old.

I don't think we need to thank Duff for giving us business. We need to thank the person who came up with the idea of wedding cakes. We would still get cake business without Duff. Also, a lot of his workers are interns, so he doesn't have to pay all of his employees.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I like everyone (Duff, Bronwen, Collette, etc.) I am just not a fan of watching a cake show for the entertainment of it. I can watch any other reality tv show for that. I would rather see Duff and his sense of humor come up with a more informative show with entertainment. Sort of like if you replaced the boring women of Bake, Decorate, Celebrate, with Duff. LOL. And make it more advanced. Or just keep the show the same, but teach while having fun. ????

I think Duff and his crew are great, I am just sick of hearing about him. icon_smile.gif I just have to tell myself that people are just fascinated with what people can do with cake. If the other decorators had their own shows, people would talk about them too. Our customers just don't know many famous decorators to brag about. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this all made sence, I am really sleepy. icon_biggrin.gif Off to bed I go.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #222 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenator

I would love for the Ace of Cakes to post on the TV show how much his cakes cost!

I'm so tired of customers wanting a 3-d cake with like freaking fireworks that shoot out of the top and will hop around and sing happy birthday AND help raise their children all for the low low price of $19.99!!

What is his minimum order these days? $500?

I wish people would understand!

Ahh Man!!!! Help raise the kids?? I seriuosly need me one of them cakes! And just for the record...the dog cakes completely freak me out anyway!! icon_eek.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #223 of 234

I'm with imaginecakes. Do those cakes potty train? I can do the $1000 minimum, as long as my 3 yr. old never has another accident.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:37pm
post #224 of 234

I love ace of cakes it is one of my favorite shows. Its because of that show i got my love of cake making i watched it with my mom oneday and thought i would love to do something like that. I am no were near as good as some of the people on here but i don't sell my cakes just do them for friends and family but i think i have truly found something that oneday a may be very good at and hopefully start a business.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #225 of 234

I enjoy the show, but I don't watch it every week like I used to. For those who wonder why they have the show and not another decorator, it's a lot like Hollywood. Their special ingredients are luck and personality.

Mike McCarey is my favorite decorator. He's amazing! http://www.mikesamazingcakes.com/

cakemakerkevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakerkevin Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:00am
post #226 of 234

i really enjoy ace of cakes and the duff family but i have to agree with michele01 we need more informative like maybe indydeb on utube i have seen a few people on there but all basic things i personnaly would like to see more of that sort of thing usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #227 of 234

I enjoy the show. Their cakes are not perfect, no ones are. They show the fun they have creating cakes, which to me is the most important element. Personality, talent and the ability to relate well to the camera are all important elements of the show.

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:28am
post #228 of 234

I love Ace of Cakes. I didn't read through all 15 pages of posts but does anybody watch Amazing Wedding Cakes? The decorators are all very talented but they all annoy me! The same with Sugar Rush...Warren's personality just doesn't come through. So...I totally enjoy watching decorators that are funny and entertaining too.

And forgive me if I'm behind (haven't been on CC in awhile) but I just went to The Cake Atelier website and it looks like the girls are splitting up...so sad. They were really good.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:11am
post #229 of 234

You're spoiled by all the amazing stuff you see here....but, remember, the general public doesn't see what we see on a daily basis.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having his success....nope, not one bit!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #230 of 234

I'm with you, advent68! I'm with you!!

momvarden Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:26am
post #231 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I enjoy the show, but I don't watch it every week like I used to. For those who wonder why they have the show and not another decorator, it's a lot like Hollywood. Their special ingredients are luck and personality.

Mike McCarey is my favorite decorator. He's amazing! http://www.mikesamazingcakes.com/

he is truly amazing.....we is teaching in GA but the classes are full.

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #232 of 234

Plain and simple Duff is " good television" coimg from someone who has TV producers in the family ...a lot of times producers realize and know that yes there are great talents out there maybe even better talents but who would these people translate to the target audience..? Duff and Geoff are truly great TV .. the rest of the staff adds to the whole reason why many people tune in week after week....

momvarden Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:51am
post #233 of 234

i agree....they are good tv

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:46am
post #234 of 234
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a fan of Bobby Flay. He seems arrogant at times and it rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't mind hanging out with Alton Brown or Tyler Florence though!

Ditto!! I love Tyler!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%