Notice - Be Careful!!!

Decorating By Irish245 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm by loriemoms

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 38

I just wanted everyone to be aware of emails like this.

....not like any of us would actually bake cakes, box them up (for a wedding???) and wait for someone to show up without getting any money first????

it came from [email protected] (I checked - nobody on yahoo listed with that name)

(email cut and pasted below)

-----------------

Hello,

I will like place an order for my up coming wedding, I will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and let there be an inscription be writing on one as (HAPPY MARRIAGE LIFE) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 25th of July 2008, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date for me?? . Reply me back and let me know if you can fill in the date for me.?? then i can forward all the details and the picture sample of what i will like you to bake for me.

Thanks and God bless.

Alex Bryant.

37 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 38

Thanks!

I do think it's more about money than free cake. The best thing to do is ignore it, and the scammer will see it as a miss.

Another member posted about a similar scam in which she actually began corresponding with the person, but was suspicious.

I bet this person wants to correspond with someone, set it all up, send a money order or check for more than the actual amount, and ask you to send the remainder to someone else (i.e., them) all before the check can bounce (and it will). You're out not just the cake, but the remainder of the check.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 38

This one's been making the rounds for a couple of years now.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 38

I figured it's not new but I figured I'd post anyway for anyone that might not have seen it.

Stupid people must think everyone else is as stupid as they are huh???

Kris

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 38

The phrase "HAPPY MARRIAGE LIFE" is a clue one in many other previous scams posted here. Poor use of English as well.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 38

Yeah, that one is too annoying. I've gotten it as well.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 38

I must not be well advertised enough... I've never gotten it icon_smile.gif

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 38

Well just the way the email was worded, "it should" I would be like, that's now how you should talk to someone you plan to hire someone for....sheeesh.... It should be more like...I was wondering if it would be possible to have it boxed up..blah blah blalh

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:57am
post #9 of 38

I use to work for the with the Relay service (for deaf and hard of hearing) and we use to get calls all the time from people (i won't say what country they're from) trying to order 50,000 of whatever (laptops, cellphones etc..) These people would try to use stolen credit cards and things like that. I hated the fact that they were using this relay service to scam, needless to say, after cursing them out I quit. I couldn't take it! At first I thought it was just electronics and things like that but they started trying to buy cars (like who on god's green earth would sell a car over the phone, accept a credit card and then ship the car?) Now they are just getting crazy with it.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #10 of 38

Everyone beware that there is a bogus Paypal email going around now too. I got one today. It looks like it is from Paypal but it is fake. They are phishing to get your password.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:51am
post #11 of 38

This is a daily occurance between the inheritance letters, quick contact us and everything else, they just need couple of people to bite in order to get some money.

What really anoys me is that they often highjack someones' real e-mail address as a front and then when people see that they say this is spam and then your e-mail starts to get blocked.
We now have a service that checks if our e-mail address is being use like this. It's really annoying for about 3 weeks about 80% of the servers that our friends use would not e-mail us because we were considered spammers. ARGH! Sorry I highjacked this it's just really anoying.

Good Luck and watch out for all these really bad people .... just trying to keep it clean!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:13am
post #12 of 38

they called me on the relay phone in feb.

happy marriage life....

it was the ever popular kate coker who called me.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #13 of 38

This is why I love my Mac. It has a bounce tab that sends it back to the sender making them think it is a non-existing email address. I use it regularly and quite often it comes back again saying that the email address from the sender does not exist either.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #14 of 38

I just placed an ad on Craigslist for my daycare and have three Nigerian scammers try to get me already. They all three were parents working oversees and wanted me to watch their child while gone. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have been entertaining myself by messing with them.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I just placed an ad on Craigslist for my daycare and have three Nigerian scammers try to get me already. They all three were parents working oversees and wanted me to watch their child while gone. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have been entertaining myself by messing with them.

Really want to have fun? Google scambaiter or 419eater (if you haven't already). These are people who spend months, sometimes years, just messing with the scammers. They often mess with the same scammer multiple times, at the same time, just by using different information.

And for every scammer they mess with, that's one less victim the scammers can call on.

But, it's often best to ignore them. icon_wink.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 38

[quote="emrldsky"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

But, it's often best to ignore them. icon_wink.gif

PLEASE PLEASE ignore them. Imperative! If you reply, you automatically tell them there is a live person at the other side and expect them to see your email to other scammers. This is how it often works. ALWAYS ignore and delete... please friends.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 38

oh great...this is exactly the email I got today and so i was fishy about it and gave our families work p.o box address to send the check instead of my home...my scammers name was Mike Williams. and even said he had tried my cakes...how funny is that and even sent a pic...so glad I found this on here...i will tell him I am no longer interested! i wasnt even going to start or buy cake stuff until the check was cleared anyway but now I will tell him not to even send it...

April :0)

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Everyone beware that there is a bogus Paypal email going around now too. I got one today. It looks like it is from Paypal but it is fake. They are phishing to get your password.

Anyone who receive an e-mail telling you that you need to change your paypal password for security or something saying that you had use an amount of money, should never click it. My husband sister did that just last year, right before she visit the family during july 4th. After the visit, they found out that someone took about $2000 from their bank account. Their bank took their car (since they didn't pay for it for 2 month, the money was suppose to be taken out to pay for it but someone took it). Their bank found out that the person who took their money was somewhere from Africa. He had done it tons of times but they just don't know who. They didn't get their money back at all. My husband talk to his sister telling her that paypal will never ever e-mail you to change your password...he say something about that they would call you..and if you're not sure, make sure you go to the real site to check it. I've received tons of paypal e-mails telling me that I had use about $46 or just telling me that i need to change my password (i don't even have a paypal account but use my husband, somehow i've been receiving those types of e-mail under my e-mail address ).

anyone out there, just be careful.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 38

You know this really gets to me. It is just a shame on so many levels. My heart goes out to those who have been taken advantage of. I even feel sad for people who are so empty inside that they seek to hurt others.

These people are obviously not dumb, too bad they aren't using their intelligence to create some good in this world instead of sorrow.

My husband just received a scam type letter in the mail this past week, who ever it was even called him on the cell phone wanting our address so they can deliver a check to him.

I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but I ain't a spork either! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for continuing to post these types of warnings, we all have to look out for each other.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilcake

... i will tell him I am no longer interested! ...I will tell him not to even send it... April :0)

I wouldn't contact him anymore! Just walk away. They won't leave you alone if you do respond. Just delete any more emails.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 38

As an Avon Representative, I would get these scam emails on a frequent basis --someone wanting to order hundreds of bottles of Skin So Soft and have them sent to some far off place. As mentioned above... DO NOT REPLY. Most any system is set up to screen for an email address you do not want entering your inbox. It will catch it and automatically delete it. Please safeguard yourselves in this manner.

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #22 of 38

I think we may have just got a variation of this but the request was opposite in terms of detail to what you have been seeing. The first email just said they wanted a three tiered cake for 250 people within two and a half weeks and that it would be picked up. The second email said the person was hearing impaired and wanted to communicate by email.. I started getting suspicious but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I sent an email detailing specific info that I needed to give a quote. The next email said they wanted a 5 tier cake and it was going to need to travell a long way and they wanted to pay 1200 dollars. We just said NO and haven't heard anything in a couple of days. The dumb ting is I should have caught on just by reading the name the person was using - it seemed familiar but I idn't know why until I googled it - Charlie Lucky Luciano.... Hmmm...
Well I made the mistake of answering him so I guess I had better be on guard for the next round. Getting details out of this guy was so terrible that I woudn't have been doing his cake if it was for real.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:35am
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish245

I just wanted everyone to be aware of emails like this.

....not like any of us would actually bake cakes, box them up (for a wedding???) and wait for someone to show up without getting any money first????

it came from [email protected] (I checked - nobody on yahoo listed with that name)

(email cut and pasted below)

-----------------

Hello,

I will like place an order for my up coming wedding, I will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and let there be an inscription be writing on one as (HAPPY MARRIAGE LIFE) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 25th of July 2008, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date for me?? . Reply me back and let me know if you can fill in the date for me.?? then i can forward all the details and the picture sample of what i will like you to bake for me.

Thanks and God bless.

Alex Bryant.

yes, I have received this same email in one form or another, and from this Alex person as well. I just quietly delete them. I don' t know how we can stop them...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #24 of 38

If you have a Mac computer, you can bounce them back. It looks like it is a non-usable email address. On my pc, I just filter it as junk and block the address.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:43am
post #25 of 38

When I get emails from my friends in Nigeria I tell them to send the check to my work address. XXXX police dept anywhere USA. LOLOLOL This is after I "play" with them for a little bit. PS I don't work at a police dept. icon_biggrin.gif

The thing you NEVER want to do is never open a link from them. Never give ANY personal info. Make up a name, whatever nothing personal though.

Mike

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #26 of 38

I haven't gotten any about the cakes but I do get the paypal ones at least twice a week. I just forward them to [email protected] and they take care of it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

When I get emails from my friends in Nigeria I tell them to send the check to my work address. XXXX police dept anywhere USA. LOLOLOL This is after I "play" with them for a little bit. PS I don't work at a police dept. icon_biggrin.gif

The thing you NEVER want to do is never open a link from them. Never give ANY personal info. Make up a name, whatever nothing personal though.

Mike

You know thats not a bad idea! Give them the address of your local police department! Tell them to send the check there...tell them to make it out to the name of your local sherif..

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:35am
post #28 of 38

ok... i've been reading many scam emails requeting wedding cakes here on CC, & they serve as a reminder for me.

however the thing abt paypal really freaks me out.. i received emails from paypal, which i will post below, hope you guys can help to let me know if it's authentic or otherwise:

Dear <my name>,

We have received the email you sent to PayPal.
We're sorry, but your account access limitation cannot be lifted at this
time. Please complete the steps below so that we may review your account
further:

- In place of a utility bill, we will accept a copy of a cell phone bill,
credit card statement, tax document or any other official documents that
helps us verify your residency at the address listed on your PayPal account.

You may provide us with the documents required by fax or upload function.
Please visit the Resolution Center and select a method to submit your
documentation.

If you are faxing documents, you are recommended to use the cover page
provided by PayPal. The cover page contains information specific to you and
using it ensures that your documents are routed and handled in a timely
manner. If you no longer have a copy of the fax cover sheet, please fax the
requested documentation to 65-6510-4589 Attn: Account Review Department.
Please notate your email address and the case number on each fax sheet when
faxing the documentation.

To upload your documentation, please click "Browse. select the file you
want to attach, Click "Open."

We review the received documents in order and generally it takes 3 to 5
business days to process these documents. Once we process your documents,
we will contact you about the status of your PayPal Account.

Sincerely,
Farey
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any page. If
your inquiry is regarding a claim, log in to your PayPal account and go to
the Resolution Center.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Consumer advisory- PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal's stored value
facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of
Singapore. Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

PayPal Email ID PPxxx

this email came from [email protected], is this a valid paypal email address? initially they were asking for proof of address (utility bill), so i followed the link to paypal's website, sent in a note from the website itself to paypal, stating that i do not have any utility bills under my name, all are under my DH's name. they replied with the email above.

pls, pls, tell me it isn't a scam....

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:54am
post #29 of 38

It's a scam. Get a hold of your bank NOW. Change the bank acct # on your Paypal acct. Do NOT ever respond to a Paypal e-mail.

Mike

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:21am
post #30 of 38

see after the @ sign where it says intl that means that the email address does not sit within the paypal.com domain. Many do fall for it. You can always call them if you are really worried about it, i think they even request to have you forward them all fake emails, I know my bank does. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%