Ouch...tried For A Bakery Job

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm by sarahnichole975

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 34

I saw an ad looking for a part-time cake decorator and sent a short email expressing interest and explaining that I had been a hobby baker for ten years. I was honest about never having worked in a bakery and sent a link to my website so she could see photos of my cakes. I had looked at the bakery's website first to see what kind of work they did and it was very basic...plastic figures stuck on the kids birthday cakes, and the only flowers I saw on any of the cakes were some white drop flowers.

She sent me a reply that said, "Thank you for the photos. As it said in my ad, I am only looking for an experienced decorator for wedding cakes and birthday cakes. This is a very upscale bakery and the details on the cakes have to be perfected for the brides and grooms. Maybe I will have you make some cookies for me during the holidays though."

Is working in a small bakery really that different from baking at home? I mean, what really changes? And how is a bakery that sells tuna casserole upscale?

33 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 34

Ouch. That hurts. Your cakes are lovely; maybe she's looking for a Colette Peters. Well, good luck to her!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 34

Ouch. That hurts. Your cakes are lovely; I'd be really dismayed as well. If she's trying to get "upscale" she should probably work on getting some "upscale" photos to attract the "upscale" clientèle. maybe she's looking for a Colette Peters.

Just brush it off. There will be more opportunities in the future. Good luck!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 34

She could have been more curteous in her reply. That may tell you a lot about how easy she would be to work for... icon_twisted.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 34

wow.....i would hire you!!! i guess i would wonder the same thing as i have not worked in a bakery either...but just between me and you its her loss!!! your cakes are beautiful!!!! good luck!!!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

She could have been more curteous in her reply. That may tell you a lot about how easy she would be to work for... icon_twisted.gif

That's what I was thinking. I spent three years before working for an evil man and I decided that I would never work for anyone I didn't like again. (at least not while my husband makes enough to support all of us icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 34

If she calls for cookies, spit in them....

Of course I'm just kidding. That does hurt though. Seems a little rude, which I never think is necessary. I'd think the experience you've gotten working from home would be a great asset. I agree that you'll have more opportunities in the future!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 34

Uh huh. Upscale=plastic figurines. Would someone please let Duff know that? He needs to start putting plastic stuff on his cakes?

Your cakes are great-don't let it get you down!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 34

I'm sorry, did she look at the wrong website?? You cakes are great!!! Perfected?? What does that mean....is any cake really perfect?? I think your cakes are as close to perfect as you can get and I agree, it shows her character and probably better that you stick to your own thing.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

If she calls for cookies, spit in them....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Nah, wouldn't do that...but the other day I bought a lovely copper hand-shaped cookie cutter. Guess what I could make with that? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I could even make one red fingernail, for the only finger left sticking up.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 34

I think you'd be better on your own. Rent a kitchen space, and give her a run for her money (and clients icon_lol.gif ) . Your work is wonderful. Good luck!

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 34

I wouldnt even worry about her! I love your cakes and i think she would be crappy boss anyways...you should just keep doin what ur doin!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 34

Yikes! She thinks she's going to find someone better than you? Your work looks fantastic! And, I am sure if she needed something specific on a cake that you've never done, you'd be able to pull it off beautifully. Doing this as a hobby gives you EXPERIENCE, and 10 years of experience is a lot. Don't let this get you down. You really do great work. I don't think she's going to be inundated with responses from Bronwen or Collette or Sylvia, so she might be back in touch with you when she realizes she is lucky you responded to her ad!

And, I'm sorry, but if she came to me later for cookies, I think I'd either be VERY busy or VERY VERY expensive. That might be silly and immature, but her email would have left a bitter taste in my mouth (even though she was polite and professional) and I would be hard pressed to feel excited about working for her in any capacity. That's just me. It's my issue. icon_redface.gif Hopefully you'll be comfortable with whatever arrangement you come to....if there even is a work relationship down the road. Good luck and keep pursuing this because you've got a lot of talent and skill. icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 34

I don't know what she's looking for-your work is really nice! It's okay...it's not meant to be a job you are in. Something better will come along and you'll be glad you are not stuck in their bakery. thumbs_up.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 34

I think you are better off not working there....she sounds like an upscale snob.......

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 34

My first response was - IS SHE BLIND!!! My second thought was that she probably couldn't afford to pay you what you're worth and didn't want to reply as such.

Shrug it off - you're definitely better off.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 34

My point is speed. There is a world of difference in a professional decorator and a home decorator. I revolve in both worlds.

I had one guy tell me that he would have no idea where to start if he was to make a cake at home. He was an accomplished baker/decorator.

It's two different worlds and results are just one factor. In fact you have to be able to do stock cakes. Not everything is all decorated to the 9's in a shop.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 34

I say I smell a dumbass.. tapedshut.gif

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #19 of 34

i applied at a local bakery and was told that they were a small mom and pop place and could not afford to pay me. they would rather hire someone with no experience that they could train. i was looking for a parttime job 2 days a week for some extra money.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 34

I have never heard of a bakery that sells tuna casserole! And my family has made me promise to never, ever make it again!

I agree with the others, you're probably better off not working for her. icon_smile.gif (Keep that new cookie cutter handy for when she calls you later though, lol)

tatetart Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #21 of 34

duplicate post...

tatetart Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 34

If she calls for cookies you can always reply...

thank you so much for your inquiry. However due to the demand of custom orders from my very upscale clientale, I do not deliver wholesale to a retail bakery.

I have a friend who works for part-time at the bakery dept for Walmart. I will give her your name and number. If she is interested in a wholesale cookie business, she will call you.

Thank you again for your interest.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #23 of 34

We need a translator!

"Thank you for the photos. As it said in my ad, I am only looking for an experienced decorator for wedding cakes and birthday cakes."

Translation: I looked at your website and I couldn't afford to pay you what you're worth. I need someone who's experienced in slapping canned icing on prefrozen cakes fast enough to push as many mediocre products out my door per day as humanly possible. I'm also worried that if I let you in my shop, my employees will realize that I'm not as good as I tell them I am.

"This is a very upscale bakery and the details on the cakes have to be perfected for the brides and grooms."

Translation: It looks like you might actually possess some creativity, which I can't allow. We do things one way and it had better be the same each time or else my staff might get the idea that they are allowed to think while on the job. I like to tell myself that this attitude makes my bakery "upscale," even though I know that I'm kidding myself.

"Maybe I will have you make some cookies for me during the holidays though."

Translation: If I reject you now, then I might be able to take advantage of you during the holidays and you might actually be grateful for it. If I can get you on the hook that way, then I might be able to offer you a job later at a below-poverty level wage that you'll think is great because I finally deigned to give you a call.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
post #24 of 34

The woman was rude. And a bit defensive, don't you think? I'll bet she really is looking to pay minimum wage and your work it too upscale for what she had in mind. Cookies...forget it. I agree, if you can swing it, open your own bakery.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #25 of 34

My feeling is that she looked at your site and realized you would out do her work and she does not want the competition in her shop.

tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

My point is speed. There is a world of difference in a professional decorator and a home decorator. I revolve in both worlds.

I had one guy tell me that he would have no idea where to start if he was to make a cake at home. He was an accomplished baker/decorator.

It's two different worlds and results are just one factor. In fact you have to be able to do stock cakes. Not everything is all decorated to the 9's in a shop.

This is so true..I have to make this gorgeous cakes..and I have to move fast. When I have 10 weddings to finish in 2 days. And they have to look as good as a magazine cake, thats the difference between home and custom bakery.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 34

She was advertising that she was going to pay $13 an hour...this city is notorious for its low wages and $13 an hour is a lot here. The bakery down the street from her was advertising that they would pay $7.50 an hour.

My husband said maybe she was just looking for ideas and advertised so she could get people to send her photos of their work...because her cakes didn't look like she'd been to Cake Central icon_biggrin.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #28 of 34

Sorry she was so rude that was not called for. There are ways to said sorry without being so rude.

Your cakes are beautiful.

I wonder if she did not mix you up with someone else. She Said photos you said web site. Maybe she got confused.

I do home baking 2 cakes at a time and that's not everyweek so no-where what a bakery would do. When I watch the artists are the bakery I am amazed as how fast they do things. It's way more fast production then art, because they have to get it done and it's multiple so same thing over and over. They still do beautiful work. I am just not sure it would be for me.

As far as the Holidays Cookies... sorry with such a rude comment NO COOKIES FOR HER.

Good Luck.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #29 of 34

I have a slightly different perspective on this.

When you gave her your website Deviant Art Gallery that may have been a turn off and she may have not even looked - also Dark Minds Eye.

This can bring not the image you are trying to get across. Your cakes are very good and mostly "hearts and flowers" and a lot of pinks with much lace and the usual wedding and birthday designs but if she looked at the website name and the dark minds eye she may think she was getting something totally different.

Sorry to say this but you made a MAJOR mistake with your selfpromotion.

If I am trying to hire someone I look at all these things but if there email is obscene or childish or goth - you get my drift then I think twice about this.

Did you meet with them or just send an email and your website? Your stuff is great but she may have never gotten past the name of the site.

Anyone applying for a job is told to make a professional email name (preferably your first initial and last name) and any website be named the same. Also make sure when you google your name that nothing inappropriate comes up.

Your stuff is great - but you need a website that is named something for the job or cakes you have. Also you need to tell them you have 10 years of experience baking and decorating as your own boss. Not i am a hobbiest and have never worked in a bakery or cake shop. Tell them every class you have taken, wilton or otherwise. Any conventions or ICES memberships etc.

Big problem with women who do things is that we undervalue what we are able to do when we should be telling people I love to do this and I am good at it!!

tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #30 of 34

Did you see her work?..Is it good??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%