Throwdown # 4 Ready To View :)

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #271 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Sugar_Plum_Fairy, I'm glad you tried my fondant! I think everyone should have tried it before voting on my cake... icon_wink.gif It's a bear, but the taste is SO worth it... I always make extra for the snacking I *KNOW* will happen! icon_biggrin.gif I'll go check out what you did with it!

It was really difficult to work with; you were very "on" with that, but the taste....you were 1,000% accurate. The best fondant I ever tasted. And I had initially planned to do this when I did my TD cake, but didn't due to timing and the fact that I already had so much fondant on hand, but putting the cream cheese-based fondant over the white chocolate cream cheese bc (to cover the hummingbird cake) was THE winningest combo I've tasted in a long time. Thanks again for sharing your recipe.

Of course, stupid me, left the leftovers out on the counter (since I normally don't put fondant in a plastic container, I sort of forgot about it) when we left to go to the birthday gathering, so I had to throw them out upon my return 10 hours later. I'm assuming since it's cream cheese based it needs to be refrigerated. I was so disappointed. Now I have to go buy more cream cheese (but at least I have some of the bc left over). icon_lol.gif ("Mmmm, tastes just like candy!")

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #272 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Get those speakers!!!!...lol...glad you enjoy!

Hey Edna,

Finally found the speakers this morning, I've been hunting high and low so I could check out your tutorial. It was well worth it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif[/quote]

lol...that an my accent..
Thanks!
Edna

tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #273 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Edna .. What happens to gumpaste (anything) when it sits on buttercream for any length of time ? Anything? does it soften at all or get sticky ? Hows that work ? Thanks! Oh and can you show how to ice square corners to ?

After is dried is fine.It can sit in buttercream with no poblem.

I'll work on the square one!...icon_wink.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #274 of 282

Thanks.. Edna dear ! And yes I would love to see how you do square corners ! Thanks much

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #275 of 282
Quote:

Edna .. What happens to gumpaste (anything) when it sits on buttercream for any length of time ? Anything? does it soften at all or get sticky ? Hows that work ? Thanks! Oh and can you show how to ice square corners to ?

I second that Edna! I'd love to see you put a tutorial for a square cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #276 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

I second that Edna! I'd love to see you put a tutorial for a square cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lol...I'll be on vacation until next week..but I will work on one!..icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #277 of 282

Im sure Its a much deserved /needed vacation ! Enjoy !

tonedna Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #278 of 282

Oh God I needed..7 weddings this week..Is about time!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:53am
post #279 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

It was really difficult to work with; you were very "on" with that, but the taste....you were 1,000% accurate. The best fondant I ever tasted. And I had initially planned to do this when I did my TD cake, but didn't due to timing and the fact that I already had so much fondant on hand, but putting the cream cheese-based fondant over the white chocolate cream cheese bc (to cover the hummingbird cake) was THE winningest combo I've tasted in a long time. Thanks again for sharing your recipe.

Of course, stupid me, left the leftovers out on the counter (since I normally don't put fondant in a plastic container, I sort of forgot about it) when we left to go to the birthday gathering, so I had to throw them out upon my return 10 hours later. I'm assuming since it's cream cheese based it needs to be refrigerated. I was so disappointed. Now I have to go buy more cream cheese (but at least I have some of the bc left over). icon_lol.gif ("Mmmm, tastes just like candy!")

I'm gonna have to try that combo, sounds DELICIOUS! Did you use almond flavoring with it? Just vanilla? Curious what you used since you already had white chocolate cream cheese BC... I'm almost drooling thinking of hummingbird cake with that on it though! icon_cool.gif

I always refrigerate the fondant leftovers, but I don't necessarily refrigerate AFTER I've put it on the cake... After reading a few threads on the subject, it seems that the amount of sugar in the fondant is enough to keep it from going bad... At least, I've never had trouble with it, just keeping it cool of course. I wouldn't leave it outside in HEAT for any extended length of time, but you wouldn't do that with ANY cake... I don't know about your leftover situation, but it's probably best to err on the side of caution!

Oh, and I commented on your picture, but I'll just say again that you did a lovely cake! I like the thinly rolled tissue paper look... I can only imagine how many do-overs you had to try to get that... icon_eek.gif Awesome job! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #280 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I'm gonna have to try that combo, sounds DELICIOUS! Did you use almond flavoring with it? Just vanilla? Curious what you used since you already had white chocolate cream cheese BC... I'm almost drooling thinking of hummingbird cake with that on it though! icon_cool.gif

I always refrigerate the fondant leftovers, but I don't necessarily refrigerate AFTER I've put it on the cake... After reading a few threads on the subject, it seems that the amount of sugar in the fondant is enough to keep it from going bad... At least, I've never had trouble with it, just keeping it cool of course. I wouldn't leave it outside in HEAT for any extended length of time, but you wouldn't do that with ANY cake... I don't know about your leftover situation, but it's probably best to err on the side of caution!

Oh, and I commented on your picture, but I'll just say again that you did a lovely cake! I like the thinly rolled tissue paper look... I can only imagine how many do-overs you had to try to get that... icon_eek.gif Awesome job! icon_biggrin.gif

First, thank you so much for the comment on my cake, both in the gallery and here. Surprisingly the tissue paper was very easy to do (I used some leftover MMF! icon_wink.gif ). It just wasn't going to happen with the cream cheese fondant. Again, I don't know if the humidity played a huge part in that. I did have the central air on, but that means it was about 76 or 77 degrees in the house (that's the average we set it for).

For your recipe, I did use the vanilla and almond like you suggested. The only thing is for the future I'll probably go with a bit less almond and up the amount of vanilla. Maybe because it was a brand new jar of almond extract, I don't know, but it was a little too much. With everything else it tasted good, but on its own I would have preferred it 'toned down' a bit. Still tasted extraordinary though.

Again, Jennifer, thanks so much. Let me know if you try that combo and what you think (hummingbird cake, white choc. cream cheese bc, cream cheese fondant). I had been worried about cream cheese overkill, but thought it came out perfectly.

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #281 of 282

hello everyone, ive been out of the loop for a while hehe, was having withdrawls lol.

so how are we doing the july td's??? i am supposed to do one this month and im wondering how everything is gonna get posted.

edna i love the tutes you did

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #282 of 282

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome back!

I would contact Christi if I were you. If anybody would know what's going on, she will! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%