Dipped Strawberries Juicing?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm by BrandisBaked

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 16

I decided to try my hand at dipped strawberries, since they look so good!! When i was cleaning out the cabinet, I found two pounds of almond bark - white & dark - that i must've bought at Christmas since it's the only time i can find it. icon_smile.gif

I wiped them with a damp paper towel and let air dry, then dipped at 5:00 and left sitting on the counter. By 7, they were juicing. Not bad, but still. How do you do these for a wedding? Normally set up is a few hours before the reception.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 16

I've made them the night before and they held up fine. Were the berries older ones? icon_confused.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #3 of 16

I've seen them juice too. I don't know why. I'll be watching this topic to see if anyone out there can solve this problem for us.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 16

I've used chocolate covered strawberries twice and both times had them juice on me. Mine were fresh and dry...

hopefully someone has some ideas

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 16

I helped my friend 'rescue' a bunch she ordered in the mail that juiced really bad, breaking the chocolate and everything. I did some research at AJ's Fine Foods (grocery store here with a great bakery) and online. I read that you shouldn't wash them. Ewww! I still did. You also can't seal them. They need to have air getting to them. I guess so the moisture has somewhere to go? I think indydebi is right on and it all has to do with how ripe and juicy they are. I do mine the same every time and sometimes they're fine, and sometimes they're not.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 16

At a demo at ICES (I think--or somewhere I heard this)...don't wash your strawberries under running water. Moisten a papertowel and wipe ROOM TEMPERATURE strawberries off. Let air dry. Works every time. And yes, strawberries need to be fresh and without soft spots or bruises.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #7 of 16

I have a baker friend who worked at a very prestigious bakery in our town and she said they never washed the berries. They just wipe off any visible dirt. Sounds icky but they will start juicing with any moisture. I did alot of dipped berries for a wedding, did not wash them, and they lasted a long time.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #8 of 16

This is great info icon_biggrin.gif

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for that info, I made some for my Anniversary and they juiced and I didnt know why...However I did run under water let air dry, I am going to try the damp paper towel...Does anyone know if refridgerating them can cause it also???

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #10 of 16

YES and it will cause them to sweat!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:55am
post #11 of 16

Very strange...

At the grocery store I worked at (Fred Meyer) we always washed our berries and kept them in the case up to 5 days. Only had a problem toward the end of their shelf life.

Also, I did over 300 strawberries for a charity event (filled and dipped), and I washed them thoroughly in a sink full of water. I had no problems with them getting "juicy" - but I used very fresh berries that I purchased that morning. I would NEVER send out unwashed berries - think of the things on them and how ill someone could get. Salmonella (or worse) anyone?

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #12 of 16

leaveing them out at room temperture if they are cold and then left out room temp. they will condensate,sweat)..this will make them juice..hope this helps

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:38am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Very strange...

At the grocery store I worked at (Fred Meyer) we always washed our berries and kept them in the case up to 5 days. Only had a problem toward the end of their shelf life.

Also, I did over 300 strawberries for a charity event (filled and dipped), and I washed them thoroughly in a sink full of water. I had no problems with them getting "juicy" - but I used very fresh berries that I purchased that morning. I would NEVER send out unwashed berries - think of the things on them and how ill someone could get. Salmonella (or worse) anyone?

SO agree! I wash mine under running water, then paper-towel dry them before dipping. If I make them the night before, I put them in the 'frig and take them out right before delivery to the reception ....

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #14 of 16

the only time I've had problems with my strawberries juicing is if they were too cold and I always wash I don't want to eat unwashed berries and I'm not going to feed them to someone else either.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 16

Gee, I don't know! I bought the berries at the grocery store at 2:30, and didn't fridge them, at 4:00 I wiped them with a damp paper towel and let air dry 'til 5:00 when I dipped them!! By 7:00 they had started juicing. Strange!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 16

I completely submerge my berries and swirl 'em around for at least a couple of minutes.

Perhaps it has something to do with the chocolate you are using. Chocolate with a higher sugar content will pull moisture out of your berries. I use a dark chocolate (in fact, my favorite thing to dip them in isn't even 'real' chocolate - but more like a ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%