Anyone Tried Shipping A Cake??

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 2:44am by TooMuchCake

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 10

Promised to do a cross cake formy niece's baptism because we were going to drive, now we are flying so that idea is out. I would make it there, but I am told my in-laws have a very small kitchen/fridge my SIL said it may be lke a Dinner Impossible eisode. Can it be done or should I just suckit up and make it there?

Sue

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 10

If it was me, I would use a large sheet cake, and cut away the cross. That way, I should ship one solid piece of cake, very carefully wrapped and double boxed. then, all you have to worry about is the icing. However, be prepared for damage, just in case.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

How big a cake are we talking about here? I know Mike McCarry (sp?) and Jan Kish ship their fondant covered tiered cakes using the airline's "counter to counter" service.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 10

I did it in February. I shipped the two 6" minnie cakes in my photos from NY to FL. They made it there pretty much unharmed - one slid on the board and just had to be pushed back in the center.

They were fondant covered and shipped frozen for stability. Each was double wrapped in plastic wrap, wrapped in bubble wrap and put in its own small box with packing peanuts. (The ears were in their own boxes with bubble wrap also). All these boxes were put into a larger box with more bubble wrap & packing peanuts. I shipped overnight and wrote "fragile" all over it so there was less chance of the box being tossed around - even so, the mailman carried the box off the truck SIDEWAYS!

Be prepared though, it cost $50 to ship two 6" cakes overnight!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 10

check out this posts:

Make sure you pack it right.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-199881-fedex.html

Good Luck

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:37am
post #6 of 10

Ok on a more positive note, you might want to do it there make some cupcakes in the shape of a cross and cover with fondant. You could call the airlines and see if you can put your fondant and pre-made buttercream in your luggage that could work. I guess you could even prep your fondant and roll it out if you have the proper sized luggage??
Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for the advice. I'm thinking of shipping the cake and flowers and then just making the b/c there. I'd like to do the whol thing ahead but I really like the Fr. vanilla b/c and it has to stay cold. I know we have gotten food shippd to us in dry ice, but I think that ould be a massive PITA. I know it's going to cost a fortune to ship it over night, but what are God parents for, right?? Anyway thanks again, I'll also have to check with the airline to see what I can actualy bring in my luggage so I can do as much ahead as possible.

Sue

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #8 of 10

I did it, and was mostly successful, haha.
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Mail.html

Deanna

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I did it, and was mostly successful, haha.
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Mail.html

Deanna

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Your story is funny! Thanks for sharing!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #10 of 10

LOL Glad you liked it! (And yep, she ate it!)

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%