Organic Cake Question

Decorating By shiralh Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm by pastrylady

shiralh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiralh Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,
Most of the cooking/ baking I have done is vegan. Recently (the past couple years) I have phased in Milk and Eggs, butter etc.<br>

A few days ago I had a request for an organic wedding cake.
Not vegan, but organic.
Will all organic ingredients have a different effect on the cake?
Will I need to make alterations in my baking method?
THANKS.

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 15

It will just cost more, but the ingredients will behave in much the same way as other ingredients.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 15

Most of the baking I do for my own family is using organic ingredients. The recipes will behave in the same way, although I think it tastes better. Then again it could just be wishful thinking on my part as a way of justifying the vastly increased cost. For the same reason I use regular ingredients for cake orders, unless I am specifically asked for organic.

The only problem you may run into is getting every single ingredient organic. Flour, butter, eggs and milk are the easy ones. Organic baking powder, shortening, cocoa powder and powdered sugar may be a bit harder to come by.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #4 of 15

I bake a lot of organic, and almost exclusively organic (except for stuff like baking soda or vanilla) when it is for kidsâ parties⦠Depending on where/what ingredients you buy, it is twice to sometimes three times more expensive⦠But then again, âregularâ grocery stores sell organic items overprized compared to the exact same brand sold at a somewhat âspecialtyâ store (prime example are my most favorite Dr. Oetker organic chocolate and vanilla cake mixes, on sale at Whole Foods Iâve gotten them for as little as about $2 per box, while the cheapest at Raleyâs has been $3.50 â havenât yet seen them in other chains).

Organic also often means less processed, and I find the taste generally richer⦠I have experimented side by side with chocolate chip cookies, of all things, one regular batch, and one with mostly everything organic, including the organic dark chocolate chips! The organic version was a bit darker, with a bit heavier crumb, a little more on the chewy side and oh, so heavenly tasty - but I credit the taste mostly to the chocolate chips! With that said, those chocolate chips were insanely expensive in comparison, and while worth the experiment, definitely not worth on a daily basis - Iâll take good olâ Ghirardelli any time.... Organic eggs â yes. Organic strawberries â yes. Organic chocolate chip cookies â nope! icon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 15

I'm doing an organic cake for my friends daughters birthday. She purchased the organic cake mix and I'm using an all butter icing. I have no clue as to how it will taste, but its what she wants.....She likes the smbc.

I'm just hoping it will rise wellicon_smile.gif

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 15

My cakes are organic and/or local produce whenever possible. I tell my customers that I use as much organic and local produce as possible, but that its not always available. I have found the organic box mixes to be great though! As for your question, I haven't found any difference in how I bake my cakes now as compared to when I was usuing non-organic items.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:29am
post #7 of 15

Tests have shown that organic flour behaves better in baking, than regular. Of course this test was done with Danish products, but it's a good example on how organic ingredients are most often superior in taste and performance. So no need to worry about that.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:47am
post #8 of 15

When buying organic. Mkae sure it says "CERTIFIED" organic. If it doesn't have the word certified it can be any number of things.

Mike

disneynutbsv Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 15

I just made the organic cake mix and it doesn't rise very high?? Plus it smells weird. The brand is Bob's Red Mill (chocolate). Anyone use this before?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

I just made the organic cake mix and it doesn't rise very high?? Plus it smells weird. The brand is Bob's Red Mill (chocolate). Anyone use this before?

was it organic or gluten free?

disneynutbsv Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 15

Nope, you are right its Gluten Free. I didn't purchase it, it was my friend that bought the mix...I know she said she wanted organic....

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 15

Yep, their GF choc is not my fav. Pamelas is out of this world good, you'd never know it was GF!

disneynutbsv Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 15

Ok, so I just got off the phone with my friend Stacey and she said that she can't have wheat so she purchased this mix. She's in the organic way of life, so I"assumed" it was organic. But I did have to tell her that it was only like an inch tall and I don't think it would be enough to serve all that she's inviting to the party. So, I guess she's going to get another mix to put on top of that one....

disneynutbsv Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 15

And unfortunately our organic section is limitedicon_sad.gif We have a grocery store with two very small aisles of organic products.

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 15

Most of my cakes are made with conventional ingredients, but I do offer cakes made with all organic ingredients.

I found that I have to change my base recipe slightly when I make an organic cake. My cakes are all from scratch. I use cake flour in all of my cake recipes. I've found organic cake flour isn't soft enough to get the same texture I achieve with conventional cake flour. Generally, I've found that the organic pastry flour is a little brown and the organic AP flour is white. While the organic pastry flour might be great for cookies or muffins, for my cakes I like a very soft, white flour. To get that texture in my organic cakes I use a mixture of organic all-purpose flour and organic corn starch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%