Powdered Sugar Shortage

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm by all4cake

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

It was told to me by the manager at the local Sam's that the "shortage" issue has been blown way out of proportion. He said that since the diesel has gone up so drastically, the trucks aren't running as much or at least they're waiting for a FULL load before they deliver. He said that about 4 times a week they would get semi-trailers that were only half full. But now the half full trucks are waiting on a full load before they make their run to save on diesel.

But of course, since my husband was in the media for many years, we know how the media can magnify everything.

I think it mostly has to do with the diesel and truck deliveries.

I completely agree! My sister recently ordered new furniture that was coming directly from the company and it took almost 6 weeks for it to come because they were not sending out trucks until they were completely full!

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #32 of 68

I use the same method as Sassycleo! I buy the sugar in bulk then divide it up in to 1 pound bags and store it like this. I do the same thing with my Crisco. I love it I don't have to measure as much when I am in bake mode! I just use Zip lock bags at the moment, but it works for me.

A funny story! Once I had all of my filled bags stacked on the kitchen table, I was clearing out enought space to put it all up, and my neighbor decided to pop in. Imaging her shock in seeing 50 lbs of white powder dvided up in small packages covering my table! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif She thought all that PS was cocaine! I set her straight, but we laugh about it. icon_lol.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #33 of 68

There were bags and bags of 7# sugar at Sam's this morning. They are $4 something tho'

I work in a bread bakery and there was a shortage of bread flour over the fall/winter. He and the other bakeries were forced to almost double the cost of their bread. Now the price of the flour has come back down, but his prices are still the raised price. Hmm....I guess they figure that since people are now used to paying that price, he will take the additional profit, too. Maybe it works out, I know it costs him a fortune to run his ovens almost 24 hours a day.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexinWV

I use the same method as Sassycleo! I buy the sugar in bulk then divide it up in to 1 pound bags and store it like this. I do the same thing with my Crisco. I love it I don't have to measure as much when I am in bake mode! I just use Zip lock bags at the moment, but it works for me.

A funny story! Once I had all of my filled bags stacked on the kitchen table, I was clearing out enought space to put it all up, and my neighbor decided to pop in. Imaging her shock in seeing 50 lbs of white powder dvided up in small packages covering my table! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif She thought all that PS was cocaine! I set her straight, but we laugh about it. icon_lol.gif

If you were selling coke (and in that quantity!), surely you'd be much richer than you are lol! That is a classic! I would love to have seen her face hahaha!

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #35 of 68

It's amazing how the gas/diesel prices are affecting every aspect of our lives.

I wonder if there's any relief in sight? I sure don't see it here in Mississippi...

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexinWV

If you were selling coke (and in that quantity!), surely you'd be much richer than you are lol! That is a classic! I would love to have seen her face hahaha!

It is my "secret" ingredient! icon_cool.gif

Lynn2768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn2768 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #37 of 68

There is a shortage of powdered sugar and the prices are going to keep rising. I was told that all of this is due to the refinery that makes the powdered sugar caught fire a few months ago! I know that this is NOT what any of us wanted to hear, sorry icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !!!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #38 of 68

[It is my "secret" ingredient! icon_cool.gif[/quote]

I guess that's one way to keep your customers coming back. It brings a new meaning to "addicted to sweets"

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #39 of 68

The difference between 6x and 10x powdered sugar is how finely milled the sugar is. 10x has a smaller particle size than 6x. You can also get icing sugar, which is even more finely milled than 10x sugar.

Powdered sugar contains 3% cornstarch, no matter what size (6x or 10x) you buy.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #40 of 68

I go to ALDI"S It's only 99 cents for a 2# bag

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #41 of 68

I thought it was alocal thing
I haven't been able to buy publix brand PS for about a month and a half now- maybe theirs was made at the refinery in Georgia that burned down.
I can still get Dixie Crystal PS but its almost twice the price.
I've started buying the 5lb bags at Costco

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #42 of 68

that's one heck of a secret ingredient.....LOL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #43 of 68

The Wal~Mart here very rarely has many bags of ps on the shelf...nothing new about that though...it's always been like that...ooooooooooorrrr, they'd have an empty whole where d/c is to be and nothing but wm brand. I do know that a couple of the Sam's in my shopping radius don't carry the larger bags of ps...ever. I haven't noticed any shortage at the ones that do...yet.

That reminds me...I got a craving for rice...haha...wth???

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

The Wal~Mart here very rarely has many bags of ps on the shelf...nothing new about that though...it's always been like that...ooooooooooorrrr, they'd have an empty whole where d/c is to be and nothing but wm brand.

That's exactly the same as here! I can almost never by PS at the local Wal-Mart -- and that has always been the case! The shelves are always empty!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #45 of 68

I agree down here too in GA -its never on the shelves. Just the generic brand. I've always used name brand. Too scared to use generic....is that unwarranted?

all4cake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #46 of 68

I don't use anything that doesn't list a manufacturer...all it says on wm's stuff is either...

marketed by wm
distributed by wm
manufactured for marketing by wm

orsl

nah, I don't think it's unwarranted at all

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #47 of 68

I use the Bakers and Chefs brand from Sams. I prefer the generic brands. It doesn't seem as sweet as Dominoes. BTW, I've never seen a 50# lb at Sams. Do you have to ask for it or something?

all4cake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #48 of 68

Your Sam's location may not be slotted for the 50lb bags. Make sure, when you visit, every time you visit...encourage others in your area as well...fill out a customer satisfaction/request form, available at the service desk. Doing this really does work to get products into your particular Sam's. Takes a bit of time...not like forever...but it works.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #49 of 68

I just bought 50 #s at Costco last week for $.40 / #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

I agree down here too in GA -its never on the shelves. Just the generic brand. I've always used name brand. Too scared to use generic....is that unwarranted?

I have notciced a BIG difference in the cane PS and other PS. I had to make a batch of fondant (toba's) for my BIL's cake. As I was sifting the powder sugar, it didn't taste right-- you know how you can kinda taste it as you inhale the PS dust? Then I added the gelatin mix and the sugar didn't want to incorporate like it usually does. I finally got it to incorporate and become smooth.... I THOUGHT!!!.... until I tasted it..... It was gritty and had a very strange flavor. Never again. I wasted the whole batch!

If you have never made your fondant or MMF with pure cane try it and see if it is different.

sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #50 of 68

Has anyone gotten the 50lb bag from CK Products? I just saw they sell it and was wondering what brand it was etc.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #51 of 68

Brilandken - Are you near Roanoke Rapids, N.C.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:05pm
post #52 of 68

It ticks me off when the media blows everything out of proportion and causes a national panic attack. I remember the chicken flu, when they were going to have to commandeer all the fire stations and schools to house all of this people who were going to start falling down in the streets with chicken flu any second now! icon_cool.gif

Post-Katrina ...... Sysco couldn't get 50lb bags of sugar. Zero. Zip. Nada. My rep was telling me it was because Katrina had damaged the southern sugar suppliers and there was no sugar anywhere. I told her, "Well then, you should back your trucks up to Sam's Club, because they have plenty!!"

Every Christmas there is a created "shortage" on some expensive toy that everyone suddenly has to have because there's a shortage on it. You're telling me that MONTHS before Christmas, these manufacturers know that this is going to be THE big toy this year and they can't plan ahead to meet the demand???? I've worked in manufacturing .... I've ordered raw materials from overseas. I've dealt with supply and demand, and I'm telling you, it's all a big invented shortage, designed to increase the price and cause a buying frenzy with the public!

So I don't believe anybody. I'm also old enough to remember the oil "shortage" of 70's ..... once the oil companies got what they wanted, suddenly the "shortage" disappeared.

sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #53 of 68

I just want my big bags of sugar back!!!!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

it's all a big invented shortage, designed to increase the price and cause a buying frenzy with the public!

exactly my thinking!

mandytagg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandytagg Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #55 of 68

Went to two super Walmarts in search of sugar in central FL today. The shelves were completely bare of sugar. I was told that this is because it was pulled from the market because the prices are about to spike.

Had to go to two Publix afterwards and snatch up what they had left. thumbsdown.gif

fb_cake_diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fb_cake_diva Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #56 of 68

Publix here in Florida has also had a shortage of 10x sugar. I've been buying up the Dominos 10x at Walgreens which always seems pretty well stocked & their price is better than the supermarket.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #57 of 68

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I found it very interesting.

http://www.ussugar.net/

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #58 of 68

I put out a "HELP" email to my Sysco and my GFS sales reps as they would be in tune to whatever is going on ... GFS guy says he gets a weekly report on the availability of items and sugar is not on it, plus he has not heard anything. He will keep me updated and I'll share any info as I get it.

So I'm not going to panic or stockpile. Stockpiling contributes to the law of supply and demand ... when the demand goes up (i.e. everyone buying it in high volume ergo a perceived increased "demand") the the price goes up.

If the public panics and starts buying it hand over fist, it's the PUBLIC that will be perpetuating this rumor.

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #59 of 68

My son drives a semi truck... my brother drives a semi... both of them are telling me that the product is there at the warehouses... but the problem is they're not letting the trucks run without a FULL load.. no more partial loads on the roads... so the product isn't moving from the plants as rapidly as it was even 6 months ago...

Shortage? No... there's no shortage... it's piling up in the warehouses waiting on enough orders to come in for one location to move it out...

Don't let the media spark some kind of panic. It's human nature to panic when you start hearing the media trying to brainwash the public... Believe me.. the product is available... it's the gas/diesel prices that are governing our supply on the shelves...

indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

... he gets a weekly report on the availability of items and sugar is not on it,

As I re-read that, it sounded like sugar was NOT available. What I meant to say is that the report is about availability PROBLEMS and sugar is not a PROBLEM. Sorry it confusing! I knew what I meant when I wrote it! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%