Powdered Sugar Shortage

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm by all4cake

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #61 of 68

Well crap! It was .98 at the Winco last week and I only bought 7 or 8 and they had a ton! I think I will making a midnight run up there tonight to stock up!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the post - I hadn't realized this was going to go nuts too! icon_sad.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #62 of 68

Gosh darn now the truck problem is affecting the Publix's here in Georgia (mid West) now.
I'm going to call Donimo in the morning when they are open.
Maybe if more of us call they can watch their distribution lines better. I'll post if i hear anything from them worthwhile.

Heres their info:
Donimo distribution located in New York. Customer service lines open during 8:30AM-4:30PM Eastern Time Mon-Fri. Call 1-800-729-4840 and then press 4 when you hear the automatic intro.

hee hee...I just remembered what my signature says.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #63 of 68

I just bought a bunch of powdered sugar today at Walmart--store brand, and plenty was in stock. Sometimes I get to the store after someone else has wiped out the shelf of something icon_mad.gif ,but that happens occasionally and always will. I haven't seen any signs of real shortages of anything.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #64 of 68

My local WinCo has it for 49cents a lb. I always stock up there!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I'm in Idaho......

Me too.

I'm a pretty new baker, but I love your pics and cakes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #66 of 68

A thought crossed my mind(scarey, ain't it?).

Along with the "official" reason for the shortage as stated in another (Katrina-Rita...which did, indeed effect Imperial sugar),

I say the economy....I know. I know. but wait...

People are see gas prices sky rocket as well as other things....

They begin a more reserved way of shopping(cutting back)...

The sales plummet on certain items....

These decreased numbers in sales cause some automated ordering systems to decrease shipment quantities(why would a store want to receive a pallet quantity of a product if the sales on that product aren't ideal over a given turn around time on that particular item....grocery items as well as other seasonal(fashions, lawn and garden....) items have a shorter given time than do items like pillows, utensils, toilet paper).

Some stores that have the automated ordering systems(Sam's club does utilize this in areas of the club), sales are a big factor in their product line...if the sales aren't there...it gets a smaller slot or eventually cut.

I would like to ask everyone, the next time you're at Sam's...put in a request for 50lb bags of CAKE FLOUR....PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Okay, the thought didn't just cross my mind...it stayed and had a cup of coffee.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #67 of 68

all4cake, VERY good analysis! As someone who used to be in charge of purchasing for a major manufacturer, it makes total sense to me (because I was the person decreasing my standing order if my inventory levels were high).

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #68 of 68

Thank you for the backup!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%