What Should I Charge?

Decorating By Briniga Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 3:15am by laurakelly2

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #1 of 16

How much should I charge for this cake? This will be my very 1st order to get paid for. And she's a friend, so I dont plan on charging a whole lot...opinions anyone??
LL

15 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #2 of 16

You do not say what size it is.

I would charge $2/serving (2"x2"x2") It does look like it is 2" is that right?

Oh and a minimum of $10 on the bow

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 16

Looks to me to be an 11x15x2 cake so that would mean 35 servings.
If it's a 12x18x2 then there will be 54 servings.
In my opinion there is really no other decorating (no flowers; piping etc) so I would not charge extra for the bow. But that's just me icon_smile.gif

Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 16

It's a 12x12x2...sorry I forgot to put that earlier

Briniga Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:05am
post #5 of 16

Anyone there?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 16

If it's for a friend and you don't want to charge her much, figure out the cost of ingredients, and add on what you think is fair for your labor.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 16

So it's maybe about 18 servings, first cake, not a bad job - how about going with the $2 per serving and charging $36?

Another way is cost of ingredients x 3 = price of cake.

Or as was said before, if it is a friend you could always figure out cost of ingredients and just charge that.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 16

If it's for a good friend I wouldn't charge much either.. ingredients would be about it.. (I bake from scratch so that adds up quick).

Normally I would make sure to iron out the price BEFORE you bake the cake. It saves everyone grief. Because most people are used to the cost of Wal*Mart cakes. On a normal basis I would charge $4/serving for that cake and $15 for the bow. If it's 12x18x2 that's 50 servings so $215.00. I bet if you told your friend that she'd poop her pants right? This is why you work out the price first.. this way there are no surprises and she can can say no that's not in my budget BEFORE you bake and put your money into it. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 16

18 servings??? No way. Even if it is 12x12x2.. that's 35 servings.. a 12x12x4 serves 70. And it isn't square.. it's on (what looks like ot me) a sheetcake board, and if it's 12" one way it has to be 18" the other. I think that was a typo. A single layer 12x18x2 would serve 50+ 2x2x2 servings.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 16

I was in a Walmart yesterday that had a bakery (my local one doesn't) and I had to laugh to myself - between the wedding cake display and the $7 "chocolate truffle* cake.....cheap cake isn't good and good cake isn't cheap.

I'm lucky if I only spend $7 on just the chocolate when I make my chocolate truffle cake.

FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 16

HA!! No kidding Sue.. I just made a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse for filling and ganache as the icing.. and 8".. the thing cost me $30 to make.. most of which was spent on the chocolate (and I just use ghirardelli.. nothing special).

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 16

According to Wilton's party serving, a 12x12 - 2 layer cake should be about 48 servings. Without the 2nd layer that's 48 half servings. So in actuality the cake is really only 24 party sized servings.

With regards to the complexity, it's a fairly simple cake that should not have required that much time. Your cake is not totally covered in fondant.

I would suggest charging no more than $50 for your cake based on serving size and complexity.

FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 16

It definitely depends on what chart you go by, because I go by close to the wedding chart and a 12x12x4 would serve 70 (72 according to Wilton) wedding servings so half would be 35. That's a 2x2x2 piece of cake.. pretty standard "sheetcake" serving. But all that aside.. if you LOOK at the cake in the picture.. it's a rectangle not a square.. either that or it's a a REALLY wonky picture, but it's on one of those show-n-serve type sheetcake boards.. so I'd be willing to bet money that it's not a square cake.. a 12x18x2" cake can be cut into 50 plus 2x2x2 pieces.

Briniga Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 16

Its a square cake pan, I just checked. I got it as a set, wilton brand & it says square set. In the pic it looks funny cuz the site made me size it down, cuz it was too big to upload it on here. Also the cake board was one I got from hobby lobby, it was rectangle & too long so I cut it down to fit the cake better. Thanks everyone for ur thoughts icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 16

Ahh.. well the distortion definitley makes it look like a rectangle. Next time you need to downsize a picture go to resizemypicture.com

http://www.resizemypicture.com/resizer/resizer-main.php

they do it for you. icon_smile.gif

So if it's a 12x12x2 then it's 35 servings by my chart.. Being for a good friend.. I'd charge for just ingredients.. if she's a GOOD friend. If not then discount how you feel, but full price would be$4/serving or $155 from me. icon_smile.gif I wouldn't go less than $2/serving.. and that's pushing it. It's not cheap to make a cake.. especially if you bake from scratch.

laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:15am
post #16 of 16

I'd charge $45 to a good friend based on size, detail and cost to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%