How Far In Advance Can I Bake??

Decorating By Sally Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm by sweetneice

Sally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sally Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a cake for a birthday party that is this Saturday, but I have to have the cake decorated and delivered by Friday evening. I would like to go on and do some of my baking tonight. I was wondering how long the cake would keep if I baked some tonight and the rest tomorrow, IF I wrap them up really good in Saran Wrap. I have done that before, but not this many days in advance. Will they still be ok by friday?? Has anyone else done this 4-5 days in advance before?
Thank you for any help!!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 6

Definately you can bake tonight. Once it is cool to the touch wrap it in SaranWrap & freeze it. The night before you want to work on it, remove it to the frig. The more time they sit around your place the less time the customer will have to enjoy it. So if it is 5 days old when they get it they won't have time to keep any leftover before it spoils icon_sad.gif But by fzing you stop that time frame and they will be as if you baked them that day icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

i wrap mine is saran wrap and then foil before i put it in the freezer. when i want to thaw it out, i take the foil off and put it in the frig.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 6

So, does this change the taste of the cake to a not so fresh baked taste? I have wondered about doing the same thing, but was afraid that it would alter the taste and make it difficult to decorate with because of the moisture from being frozen

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6

I bake, cool, wrap in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, then a bag & freeze. To thaw I take everything but pw off & sit on a cooling rack for a few hours. This way the condensation is absorbed. I actually think the cake is more moist after freezing, especially w/ my white & strawberry cakes.

I would bake tonight--all if you can. Wrap, freeze, then thaw Thurs. night & decorate Friday---unless you need more time, then thaw Thur morn.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for that info! I'm going to try that! It saves alot of time. I thought I had to bake EVERYTHING the night before. I ended up extremely tired!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%