How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5671 of 11579

Sorry everyone I wasent on CC !
Linliv46.. Yes that is it I did post a few pages back that it was in the CC recipes. Sorry I didnt mean our recipe file ! Sorry you all misunderstood !
I also posted that it wasent overly sweet. But I dont think its bitter either ! But we all taste things differently.I just know Its always a big hit for me !
If anyone has a good milk choc bc recipe they want to share I would love to have one to try .

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5672 of 11579

OMG!! My butt hurts from sitting on it reading for 3.5 hours!!!! My hand hurts from scrolling! I have not posted here in quite some time, Mel I can't believe Zach is 6 weeks old!! Wow time flies! Fiddlesticks I was glad to see your still around icon_smile.gif GrammaG, thanks for all you do on those recipes! I have missed you guys!! I have nothing to add at this point as far as recipes go, but I have missed you!!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5673 of 11579

Hey Mel: I would like to make a peach filling for a yellow cake using bettercream. Can I used vanilla pudding, cream cheese and chopped peaches and then mix with whipped bettercream. I think that is how I did it last time. You are the bettercream queen.

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5674 of 11579

Dee1219.. Yep Im still around ! Where have you been ? Moonlighting on other threads ?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5675 of 11579

I'm still working on an eggless vanilla cake that doesn't taste like soda but in the mean time this is a pretty knowledgeable article that talks about the science of cake baking. It's a lot to take in and hurts my head some times. icon_confused.gif I also read somewhere that without eggs you need the vinegar in the mix to get the soda to activate for the rising process.
http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

Welcome back Dee!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #5676 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Candy, They don't believe I make them, they firmly believe she goes to wal-mart or somewhere and changes the boxes. She's having a rough day today icon_sad.gif. I feel bad for her.

OMG, I think you mean they think she goes to a high priced, fancy bakery and switches the boxes!!! thumbs_up.gif

I quit getting notices and I've been too busy to notice! How sad is that?? I am back into the swing of weddings, met with a florist today for next weekends cake, this week I am doing a big cake for my mom's co-worker, so it has to be good!

CandyLady, you can make a filling like that, or, I used cream cheese (whipped smooth) and a delicious peach jam, then whipped some bettercreme and folded that in. It was amazingly good! I'm sure the pudding idea would work as well! Let us know!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #5677 of 11579

Awww Mel, try to ease into it, lol, I remember how much you had to do the week before Zach came out!

Yup, they think she's goes to a bakery, then comes home and puts them in the long tin pans I picked up at GFS, (it's easier and chearper to get those for her work), and then tries to pass them off as mine, lol. Ronald was in the area though today, and stopped into her store, and it's the same Ronald that does all of south florida, so he knows me pretty well, as well as my mom, and since I wasnt there, and he didnt see her first, he took 1 bite, and told them, that yes, they are mine, lol, she called me laughing while he was standing next to her, so that's good. Some of the other area managers stopped in hoping she had brought something in since I had sent stuff with her last friday, and the good thing is is that they told her to give me money out of petty cash to buy whatever I need to make them cupcakes, lol.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #5678 of 11579

Good grief, is this thread STILL going on??? What are we on now -- 379 pages??? *icon_eek.gif Wow! icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #5679 of 11579

Fiddlesticks & Penny, thank you for the comments on the cupcakes, and I'll share the comments from Andy's cupcakes with Dakota. When I am able to call Susanna, I'm going to ask her Andy's favorite cake, and see if I cant figure out how to turn it into a cupcake, and then when I get the cupcakery open, I'm going to name it after him, and on July 18th every year, I'm going to donate the sales from that day to Susanna & the kids, and 90% of this idea came from Dakota, she's an incredibly sweet and sensitive little girl, she cried right along with us at some of the stuff, and the other, she said to celebrate his life, he wouldnt want us sad.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #5680 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Fiddlesticks & Penny, thank you for the comments on the cupcakes, and I'll share the comments from Andy's cupcakes with Dakota. When I am able to call Susanna, I'm going to ask her Andy's favorite cake, and see if I cant figure out how to turn it into a cupcake, and then when I get the cupcakery open, I'm going to name it after him, and on July 18th every year, I'm going to donate the sales from that day to Susanna & the kids, and 90% of this idea came from Dakota, she's an incredibly sweet and sensitive little girl, she cried right along with us at some of the stuff, and the other, she said to celebrate his life, he wouldnt want us sad.

That is an incredible idea, Chassidy! So very thoughtful and a wonderful tribute!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #5681 of 11579

thanks Mel...I knew you could help. Office wants 1/2 sheet cake for around $15...see that's what we are up against when you give them something for nothing a few times. Idiots. I till love to bake but have cut back a lot. I know how chassidy feels. All that work and they dare compare it to store bought!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #5682 of 11579

Chassidy hope your mom had a better day in the end! Glad they realized they were eating HOME baked cupcakes! Geez!

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #5683 of 11579

chassidyg.. You have such a kind heart !
CandyLady..1/2 sheet cake for around $15. OMG ! Thats not even worth turning your oven on for ! Does that even cover the supplies ? And your going to fill it to ? Did I miss something somewhere ? Was this an order or your donating it ?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #5684 of 11579

Chassidy, actually they ARE getting cupcakes from a fancy schmancy bakery... it just happens to be YOURS!! thumbs_up.gif

I'm trying not to overdo it, but I have a wedding about every weekend from now until September!! Yay! Well, sort of Yay. They are cakes that should be pretty and nothing too taxing at this point. I don't have a wedding the weekend of August 9th, but I do have to make a 90th birthday cake and cupcakes and drive them to St. Louis. (DH's great aunt.) It's nice to be doing cakes again, although I did enjoy the break. So far Zach has been pretty good about napping so I can do some work!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #5685 of 11579

super cute site for cupcake related shirts,etc:

http://www.cafepress.com/mkecupcakequeen

Also, in my travel on the internet today I came across these 2 recipes that I thought would be of some interest icon_biggrin.gif Both recipes were found at http://mkecupcakequeen.blogspot.com/

Cherry Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 can cherry pie filling
1 cup buttermilk
6 full size Mounds bars, quartered
·  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
·  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, buttermilk and pie filling, mix well.
·  Fill cupcake liners to one quarter full
·  Place one quarter of a full size Mounds bar in the center.
·  Fill liners with remaining batter.
·  Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
·  Frost cupcakes with White Chocolate Coconut Ganache, listed below.

White Chocolate Coconut Ganache
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbs. coconut extract
1 bag white chocolate pieces
+/- 5 cups confectioners sugar
1.  Slowly melt butter, cream and extract together. Do not bring to a boil.
2.  When fully melted and barely at a simmer, pour over chocolate. Stir aggressively until fully blended, creamy and yummy. At this point you can use as a glaze.
3.  Or, allow to cool to room temperature.
4.  Allow to chill for several hours or over night. Be sure to lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the top to avoid skin.
5.  With an electric mixer, whip chocolate mixture with powdered sugar in 1 cup increments. Frosting will be loose at this point.
6.  Bring frosting back to room tempurature and then pipe on.

Mini Vanilla-Almond Peach Cupcakes With Fresh Peach Frosting

Makes 36 Servings Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
Recipe provide by The California Tree Fruit Agreement (organization?)

Cupcakes
2  cup flour
2  teaspoon baking powder
3/4  teaspoon salt
1/4  cup unsalted butter, softened
1  cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2  eggs, at room temperature
1  teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2  teaspoon almond extract
1/2  cup low-fat milk
1  fresh California peach, pitted and diced
  Frosting
1  fresh California peach, divided
1 1/2  tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2  cup powdered sugar, divided
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract
  Tiny mint leaves (optional garnish)

Directions
To prepare cupcakes, preheat oven to 300°F and line 36 mini muffin tins with paper wrappers; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually add sugar and beat for 2 minutes more or until fluffy. Add eggs and extracts, beating well after each addition. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then half the milk; repeat and mix until well combined. Stir in diced peaches and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins (they will be very full). Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in tins for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting. To prepare frosting, peel and mash or puree half the peach. Beat butter and 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Blend in 1 1/2 tablespoons peach puree and extract, beating for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, adding more peach puree if a thinner consistency is desired. Spread equal amounts over each cupcake. Dice remaining peach half and sprinkle over cupcakes. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired.

I have been on a coconut fix ever since I made pina colada cuppies so I plan on making the cherry chocolate coconut ones this weekend. Despite my fixation w/ coconut, I made pink lemonade cupcakes w/ pink lemonade frosting today (which were made from a recipe I found online from scratch) that were just okay...nothing special (next time I'll use GradmaG's version) but all 12 are gone!

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5686 of 11579

Wow micnmax2003! That is a great Blog! I love the idea of the chocolate covered bing cherries! It took me a couple of hours to go through all of the individual cupcake blogs. Some of them were really great to look at!

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm
post #5687 of 11579

Hello again, I have not been surfing other sites fiddlesticks Hehehe!! Good one though! I have had guests from out of town, a few from Ohio and one from New Hampshire. I have seen the space needle more times than I care to mention!! I have also had a few cake orders in the process of all of that. So I have been busy busy! I loved hearing about all the new recipes and such. I am SO excited to try the Resess's PB topping in the bettercreme, wow does that ever sound delicious!!

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5688 of 11579

I got some Blackberry Habanero Jam at the Farmer's Marke today and a Mexican Carmel Sauce made with goats milk. Tastes a little bit like Dulce de Leche but more of a caramel taste. Really good! What flavor cupcake do you think the Blackberry Habaero would go with? I think maybe chocolate but give me all of your ideas on this! Thanks!!

chassidyg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5689 of 11579

What about a french vanilla grandma? I dont know what Habaero is, but I think the blackberry would be good with a vanilla.

ShaynaO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaynaO Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5690 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I got some Blackberry Habanero Jam at the Farmer's Marke today and a Mexican Carmel Sauce made with goats milk. Tastes a little bit like Dulce de Leche but more of a caramel taste. Really good! What flavor cupcake do you think the Blackberry Habaero would go with? I think maybe chocolate but give me all of your ideas on this! Thanks!!

Blackberry Habanero sounds soooo good! Chocolate tastes really good with any sort of 'heat.' I make brownies with red chiles in them and they are excellent, so I'd thikn that the jam would be great with the chocolate. I'd keep it simple so as not to overpower the flavor of the jam.

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5691 of 11579

Should I add it to the chocolate or vanilla cake or mix it with a Bettercreme filling or Buttercream frosting?

micnmax2003 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5692 of 11579

I think that you should add it in the chocolate cake....i'm not too sure on the frosting though icon_confused.gif might be too much??

micnmax2003 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5693 of 11579

Another thought...perhaps you could somehow alter this recipe and using the jam instead of the puree and bettercream & make cuppies rather than cake

HABANERO "SAUCED" CHOCOLATE BROWNIE COFFEE CAKE WITH CRUSHED CHILE PEPPERS

(Delivers a powerful punch without the nasty bite)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 T cocoa powder
6 hot red chile pods pureed (see recipe below)
1 tsp. (or more if you dare) HOT HABENERO SAUCE
1/2 cup margarine spread
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or Mesilla Valley pecans
1/4 cup melted chocolate chips (I put chips in a microwaveable cup with a T
of water and microwave just until the chips begin to melt. Stir.)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 T vanilla
Cool Whip, aerosol whipped cream, or real whip cream

Chile puree: remove stem, seeds and veins from 6 New Mexican hot dried red chiles. Cut in pieces (I use kitchen scissors). Soak in boiling water 20 minutes. Blend in blender with a small amount of the "soaking" water, enough to create a paste-like texture. Note: It's okay if small chile bits remain.
Cream eggs and sugars. Add flour, cocoa powder, and chile paste. Stir well. Add margarine, melted chocolate chips and then whip. Add nuts, chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir. Pour into a greased 9" x 9" glass pan and bake in a SLOW oven at 325 degrees for 35 minutes or until center top springs back when touched lightly with finger. Serve topped with whipped cream sprinkled with crushed red pepper and garnish with one of Adelina's heated Red Chile Gummies.

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #5694 of 11579

micnmax2003, those sound awesome and could definitely be made into a cupcake! I meant to say cupcakes, not cakes when I was talking about what flavor. icon_redface.gif Ok, then my next question is if I mix the Blackberry Habenero in the mix then what kind of filling and frosting do I use?
BTW, anywhere I go that has cupcakes for sale I buy one to see what the competition is. I bought a lemon cc with buttercream frosting at the Farmers market and paid @2.50 for it. Nothing fancy. I couldn't even eat it all. It came from a regular bakery. It just tasted like a lemon box mix and the frosting was gritty and greasy. I'm not prejudice but my cupcakes are way better than anything I've ate so far in this town! I have to give all of you the credit because I've found most of my recipes or ideas from CC. Thanks to all of your talents!!

chassidyg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5695 of 11579

I'd mix it with the bettercreme, and just do a regular chocolate cupcake, but anyway you do it, I'm sure it'll be good, post pics after!

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5696 of 11579

GrandmaG. Are you selling your creations ? Just wonder since you said you were checking on the competition? I wonder what anyone on here is seling their average cuppy for ? you know nothing fancy ,just a swirl and maybe a few chopped candies or srinkles on top ? And what they would add to the $ if it was filled ?

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5697 of 11579

I'm not really selling them. I'm getting them out in the public a lttle bit. I don't feel ready to charge a competitors price yet. I've had orders but I've only charged $1.00 a piece. I don't have much overhead and it helps pay for my supplies. I guess what I meant by competition is the quality of taste. I charge $.25 more for filling and $.25 more for decorations or special liners. I don't know if I want to deal with the frustration of customers. I have more fun making them to give away but will sell them if asked.

GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5698 of 11579

Going rate around here is anywhere from $1.25 to $2.50 for a bakery cupcake. No fillings or decorations.

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #5699 of 11579

Thanks ...I think competition is probably some of both .I didnt know if you already sell or was planing to.I just wondered what anyone thought was a fair price for a cupcake ? In my area Im thinking its an average of $2.00 for a swirl and maybe $.25 more for a filling. Of course anything fancy would go up in $ for sure ! Thanks for the reply!

ShaynaO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaynaO Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #5700 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Should I add it to the chocolate or vanilla cake or mix it with a Bettercreme filling or Buttercream frosting?

I agree with the votes for adding it to the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%