How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #5701 of 11579

Ok. I think I will add it to my cupcakes and use a plain bettercreme filling just to cut the sweetness of the blackberry habanero. So what kind of frosting? I could go with just a blackberry bc without the habanero. Or chocolate? or chocolate ganache? Cast your votes! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #5702 of 11579

My vote is the blackberry bc without the habanero! I cant wait to see these !

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #5703 of 11579

OK. Cupcakes are in the oven. Probably won't have pics until tomorrow night. I have to go buy blackberries yet. Plus it will give the cupcakes a chance to sit so I can fill them tomorrow too. I had to use a half cup of the jam to taste the flavor in the batter. It's fun to experiment, especially if they turn out!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #5704 of 11579

Blackberry buttercream sounds great! It gets my vote.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #5705 of 11579

Ok Grandma, I'm probably too late, (stopped getting stupid notices again, ergh!) but here is what I would like to try with your jelly...

Devil's Food cuppies... fill them with the jam that has had a little bit of whipped bettercreme folded into it just to cut the jammy sweetness and lighten it up a little. Then dip in ganache and top with a fresh blackberry. Stick the blackberry on there while the ganache is still slightly sticky so that it stays. To me, that sounds fantabulous!!! However, I know whatever you do/did will be awesome, and can't wait to hear about it!

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:12am
post #5706 of 11579

You are totally right, Mel. I blended it in with the mix and the Blackberries got lost in taste. Has a hint of habanero, though which is all I want. I think I will make a blackberry curd and fill and frost with a mascarpone/chile frosting and top with a blackberry. Next time I will either add the jam to bettercreme for a filling or add a dollop of jam when I add to liners and swirl it through the mix like I did the raspberry lemonade cc's. Oh well, off to the Farmer's Market next week! I just love going there. I want to try a different booth any way. This jam had seeds that I had to strain first. After I bought this one I found another booth that had seedless and a lot more flavors with habanero. It must be the thing this year! But I tell you, that goat's milk caramel is to die for and I can't wait to use it with something. I think I'll mix with betttercreme to fill vanilla cc's and then use it straight and drizzle it across the buttercream frosting.

Melvira Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #5707 of 11579

I was afraid it would get 'lost in the batter' so to speak. Swirling it in might be totally awesome though!! YUM!

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #5708 of 11579

Oh GrammaG, those sound devine! I can't wait to see a pic!!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #5709 of 11579

GrammaG those sound sinfully delicious. icon_biggrin.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5710 of 11579

Hope someone's here.... I have been having an AIR problem on my last few batches of Bettercreme. It ends up with little air bubbles (or tiny holes) when I pipe it out. Maybe there is too much air in the bag??
Do you generally use a wisk with the Kitchenaid or the flat beater?
I have been using a wisk.

Melvira Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #5711 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Hope someone's here.... I have been having an AIR problem on my last few batches of Bettercreme. It ends up with little air bubbles (or tiny holes) when I pipe it out. Maybe there is too much air in the bag??
Do you generally use a wisk with the Kitchenaid or the flat beater?
I have been using a wisk.

Sounds like it's overwhipped. 99% of the time, that's what it looks like when it's overwhipped. All holey. thumbs_up.gif try adding a touch more liquid and stirring it in, or, if you've already used it, the next time you do it, whip just a tiny bit less. I always use the whisk attachment when I make it. And only when I 'go to far' do I get the holes. I HATE it! It doesn't look nice and pretty when that happens!

zoomzone Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #5712 of 11579

Thanks Mel! I wasn't sure if it was overwhipped, but it does look like bird poop! LOL!

zoomzone Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:32am
post #5713 of 11579

AHHH Much better! Didn't overwhip this time!
I made Choc Cuppies with PB chips and PB Bettercreme topped (like everyone's!!) with a PB cup! I will post a pic in a bit.

There is a fine line between soft peaks and qverwhipped with the bettercreme- even tho i knew that- I kept whipping it before cuz I did't want it to flatten out and lose its form. Thanks again, Mel!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #5714 of 11579

I baked my son's birthday cakes, and now I changed what I want the cake to look like, so I have to make another cake...lol.....Oh well, cake ball time!

Melvira Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #5715 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Thanks Mel! I wasn't sure if it was overwhipped, but it does look like bird poop! LOL!

Oh baby... appetizing!! Hahahaha!! Glad it worked out better this time! That's a relief!

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #5716 of 11579

Putting the Chocolate Blackberry Habanero on hold. So sorry there's no PICs. I am watching the Grandkids. Their 19 yr. old cousin, on their other family side, got killed in a car accident so I'm watching them so they don't have to get all involved in it.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:54am
post #5717 of 11579

GrandmaG.. Thats terrible news ! Im so sad to hear that family lost such a young person ! My prayers are with them !

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #5718 of 11579

Prayers are with them too! All I know is, it's been a rough year!! So many young losses.

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #5719 of 11579

You know it's funny how we come to this thread for consoling. We really are distant friends.

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #5720 of 11579

GrandmaG, my thoughts & prays are w/ your family and theirs

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:15am
post #5721 of 11579

There was another thread that someone popped in on it and pardoned her 'hijacking' the thread re: something that was off the posts topic and she was sad & sorry. I told her about this thread and how many of us have never met, and may never meet, but we have all become friends through our hearts. We've experienced sadness, joy, excitement, disappointment and even a baby! Some can't be on here a lot, some more frequent, but we all pop in to say HI. And HI is returned with a smiley face or a new recipe or pictures. And some pics not even anything to do with cupcakes. We send out love, encouragement, wishes, console, friendship and prayers.

Yep, GrandmaG, we are all Friends here, distant or not. I would hope that Heath and Jackie would have a warm feeling to know that this site has helped so many people in more ways than one.

Good Morning, Friends! Have a wonderful week!!
Vicky

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #5722 of 11579

Thanks everyone! Vicky you're right. I've been on some threads where they get so snippy at each other that I don't even want to read them.
BTW, I found vanilla powder at the Health Food Store yesterday! I'm so anxious to try it. Has anyone tried this? It's talked about in Cake Love. It's alcohol free so it's supposed to have more flavor because it's crushed vanilla bean without the alcohol. 1/4 tsp. compared to 1 tsp. of extract. I also found some powdered vanilla ice cream mix. I've got to figure out how to add that to a vanilla cc. I'm determined to make a scratch, dense, really vanilla cc without a soda taste! You know when those Vegan Vanilla cc's sit for a couple of days the soda taste isn't as strong. The other flavors come out. Well, hopefully I can make my curd while the Grandkids are still sleeping. icon_wink.gif

Meemawfish Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:51am
post #5723 of 11579

So sorry GramaG to hear about your families loss. My prayers go out to the family.

I agree that we are all one big family. icon_biggrin.gif

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #5724 of 11579

I am so sorry, GrandmaG. My thoughts are with your family.
And yes, we certainly are friends!

I baked and decorated an anniversary cake for my husband and I yesterday (7 years!). It came out ok....I wouldn't have chosen the colors, but I was trying to use up all of the icing leftover from the Blue's Clues cake and cupcakes. But it tasted yummy!

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5725 of 11579

I hear ya Penny! What else can you do with those leftover colors? You hate to have them go to waste! icon_smile.gif Congratulations on your Anniversary!

Meemawfish Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #5726 of 11579

Congratulations Penny and I think a blue anniversary cake sounds wonderful. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5727 of 11579

Congrats Penny! Your on your way to many many more !

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5728 of 11579

Thank you! It was a very nice day!
The picture is up in my photos now...I hope to make the cake again sometime now that I've had some practice with it.

I have a meeting at my new job tomorrow...I am thinking about bringing in some cupcakes. I am going to keep them simple...and keep using up ingredients that I've got already. I am thinking strawberry filling...

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5729 of 11579

Penny, your cake turned out beautiful! Did you make the butterflies?

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5730 of 11579

Yep - I went with chocolate transfers again. It's getting faster and easier each time I try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%