How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #5731 of 11579

Penny Thats a beautifl cake ! What tip did you use for the flowers other then the rose ? You have some lovely creations in your photos !

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5732 of 11579

That is a beautiful cake! Wow, I was thinking how MY cakes look when I'm trying to 'use up' ingredients.....no where NEAR what beauty yours was!!
When I 'use up' blue stuff, it would have looked like a Smurf blew up!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #5733 of 11579

Thank you!

I used a 104 tip for the roses. I just figured out a trick to make my roses look better yesterday. I wasn't making my base big enough. Once I fixed that, they went better.

I had wanted to try this cake for sometime now, I just loved it when I saw it here on CC....so it was just the one to use up some blue icing. Merissa's original cake looks much better with her beautiful pale blue and purple flowers...I hope to make the cake again and use more pastel colors some day.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5734 of 11579

What is Merissa's member name so I can look up that cake. Lavender and blue sound pretty! Thanks!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5735 of 11579

Grandma, sorry to hear about the family's loss! My prayers are with your family. And Penny, your cake is great! The butterflies are awesome.

I feel so lost without my cupcake friends lately! We have just been so busy. I still read everyday, just dont always have time to post. We are re-modeling the house and trying to get most of it done before school starts back up. And I have been trying to get into my classroom and get stuff back together! I cant believe its only 4 weeks away... where has this summer gone??

I actually have 3 cakes to get done this week, so I will be a busy girl. Trying to teach myself how to use rkt to carve... any suggestions?

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #5736 of 11579

It is Merissa! She, very sweetly, left a comment on my cake...you can click on her name there to see all of her stuff. It's all very creative and beautiful!

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5737 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

And I have been trying to get into my classroom and get stuff back together! I cant believe its only 4 weeks away... where has this summer gone???

I will be teaching HS for the first time this year...I go in tomorrow to start working on my room. I am SO LOST! I don't even know where to start!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5738 of 11579

Penny and Daisy~ YOU'RE freaking out? I just spent the entire morning filling out all the school papers to SEND my kids back! ha, ha.

Good luck to both of you!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5739 of 11579

Well, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I had to go bake cupcakes after reading this darn thread - and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!Image

Chocolate-filled, chocolate-glazed, chocolate cupcakes! ARGH!!!

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #5740 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Penny and Daisy~ YOU'RE freaking out? I just spent the entire morning filling out all the school papers to SEND my kids back! ha, ha.

Good luck to both of you!

Ya, I have to do that, too! Since I am going back to work full time, they both have to go to new schools...it's just crazy!

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #5741 of 11579

Hey everyone! Hope you all have a great week.

GrannyG - sorry your family is going through tough times, you will be in my prayers.

I wanted to tell you that I take my dibs and dabs of leftover icing and freeze it in rolled plastic wrap (saw that somewhere on one of the threads a while back) then when I need "just a little bit" of icing, I usually have it. It only takes a short while to defrost and it tastes good as new!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #5742 of 11579

Great tip grannyrose - I was just freezing it in storage containers, but that sounds much simpler and then you can just pop the tubes into a piping bag and wahla - done!

GrandmaG - your family is in our prayers. So sad to loose someone so young.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #5743 of 11579

Thanks Penny . But I was wanting to know the tips you used for the other flowers ,not the rose! LOL!

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5744 of 11579

Oh, sorry!...the same one, actually. For the larger flowers I used a 104, and then a 103 for the smaller ones!

Hope that helps!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5745 of 11579

icon_lol.gif No problem !!Thanks icon_lol.gif By the way did your hubby like the cake ?

DaisyLisa17 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5746 of 11579

Penny, is this your first year teaching? Or just your first year teaching high school?? My first trip to work on my room a couple of weeks ago was a disaster!! I could have cried!! All my stuff was shoved into one corner so they could clean the carpet. It took me 3 hours to arrange all my furniture, and I dont even have a big room. The second trip was to unpack boxes... and attempt to organize the shevles. Its still a work in progress. I figure if I can just go a couple hours a week I'll be good. But I just get so excited thinking about starting fresh this year. I'm loving my time off, but I cant wait to get started!

Good luck to you!

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5747 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

icon_lol.gif No problem !!Thanks icon_lol.gif By the way did your hubby like the cake ?

Yes he did icon_biggrin.gif

Penny7271 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #5748 of 11579
Quote:

Penny, is this your first year teaching? Or just your first year teaching high school?? My first trip to work on my room a couple of weeks ago was a disaster!! I could have cried!! All my stuff was shoved into one corner so they could clean the carpet. It took me 3 hours to arrange all my furniture, and I dont even have a big room. The second trip was to unpack boxes... and attempt to organize the shevles. Its still a work in progress. I figure if I can just go a couple hours a week I'll be good. But I just get so excited thinking about starting fresh this year. I'm loving my time off, but I cant wait to get started!

Good luck to you!

Thanks! I am going to need it!
I have been teaching at the college level for 9 years..and now I will be teaching 9th and 12th grade biology. BIG CHANGE for me and for my family since I will now be full time.

My room has been cleaned...so it is mostly a blank slate. But this is all so new...I am not really sure where to start. But I will be giving it a try tomorrow! I never had a classroom that was all mine before....so this could be fun!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5749 of 11579

Not just fun.... ADDICTING!!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5750 of 11579

Maybe you have all been using it already but Smuckers has a caramel and a butterscotch ice cream topping out to !

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #5751 of 11579

Wow Fiddles that sounds great. I just wish I could find some bettercream.
I've looked everywhere and can't find any. I might have to order it over the internet. icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5752 of 11579

Also for those of you that use the Michaels coupons ! There were 2 this week a 20% off and a 40% off ! I love my Michaels coupons!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #5753 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

Wow Fiddles that sounds great. I just wish I could find some bettercream.
I've looked everywhere and can't find any. I might have to order it over the internet. icon_wink.gif

Are you close to any Syscos? Here is the map locator. They carry it.

http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

pamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamama Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #5754 of 11579

GrandmaG- thanks for that link! I got some at GFS when I visited Columbus but didn't know what I'd do when I finished it, but it looks like there is a Syscos not too far from me. Thanks again.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5755 of 11579

Thanks GrandmaG but I'm not close to any. I might have to take a road trip. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5756 of 11579

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1248703
Anyone see these ! I just loved the creative idea she had !

DaisyLisa17 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #5757 of 11579

Fiddle those are adorable! I looove the stands and the ones in the background are adorable too!

Ok ladies, I need your HELP!! And of course I come here first before the other forums, only because I trust yalls advice and opinions. I have a baby shower cake this weekend, and she wants a strawberry cake and a filling. But, no specified flavor for the filling! I thought cream cheese icing would be yummy with the strawberry. What could I offer her for fillings? I thought of using fresh chopped strawberries, but would the juice leak into the cake? Would I need to put a layer of icing down and then the strawberries? How about a lemon filling? Opinions? Experiences?? HEEEELLP!!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #5758 of 11579

I have used fresh strawberries as a filling, but fill it on the same day the cake is used. Just set them on top of the bc then put the cake layer on top of them. Of course that was no problem as it was eaten within hours.
That's just my own experience.

GrandmaG, how sad for such a young life to be taken, My prayers are with them.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #5759 of 11579

OMG Fiddle, I made some in those waffle bowls a few weeks ago and forgot to take pix (DUH?? icon_confused.gif ) so I want to make some more. (I also forgot to take a pic of a cake I did that same week!! What is WRONG with me??) Anyway, I just loved the idea of using those. But, did she bake them IN the cup? It doesn't look like it. I did bake them in the cups... makes a righteously BIG cuppy! Wooooo!

Quote:

Fiddle those are adorable! I looove the stands and the ones in the background are adorable too!

Ok ladies, I need your HELP!! And of course I come here first before the other forums, only because I trust yalls advice and opinions. I have a baby shower cake this weekend, and she wants a strawberry cake and a filling. But, no specified flavor for the filling! I thought cream cheese icing would be yummy with the strawberry. What could I offer her for fillings? I thought of using fresh chopped strawberries, but would the juice leak into the cake? Would I need to put a layer of icing down and then the strawberries? How about a lemon filling? Opinions? Experiences?? HEEEELLP!!

Honestly... I love Bettercreme whipped with the Hershey's strawberry syrup. It's light and delicious. I don't like putting fresh fruit between the layers unless it will be eaten the same day that I make it. I'm just funny about it... the potential for sliding layers... juice soaking in, etc. That's just me... I'm on a special level of paranoia!! Hehehe

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:03am
post #5760 of 11579

I made the chocolate cherry coconut cupcake recipe I posted a few pages back today & I thought I would share my observations:

The chocolate/cherry cupcake were fantastic thumbs_up.gif I think the recipe is a keeper all on it's own w/o the mounds bar (which did fill my desire for coco.
nut). I, however, found the white chocolate coconut ganache icing too be way too sweet (although my husband likes it, even my 5 yr old doesn't) so I think next time I will stick to a coconut flavoured IMBC icing. BTW, I was able to get 30 regular sized cupcakes w/ the recipe and will taking some to family tomorrow to more opinions icon_smile.gif

I'm thinking of making chocolate cuppies and would like to add homemade Almond Roca to them....which I make during the holidays and would like to incorporate into a cupcake. Any thoughts on whether I should:

*add crushed up candy to the batter before baking
*combine some IMBC w/ crushed candy and fill them
*frost w/ IMBC flavoured w/ Almond Roca Syrup
*frost w/ dark choc. ganach and garnish w/ broken pieces of Almond Roca

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

check out this cupcake.....making more than one sure would take some time!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nadibakes/2671515916/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%