Mmf?

Decorating By cakelady2B Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 5:11pm by Tellis12

cakelady2B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2B Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 16

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this question is redundant, but what is mmf? I keep seeing it and I'm guessing it's some kind of fondant, but I just wanted to know what it stood for.

15 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 16

MarshMallowFondant! A fondant made from melted marshmallows and powdered sugar.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 16

MMF = Marshmallow fondant

Welcome! icon_smile.gif I know there is a list of acrtonyms somewhere on this site, I'll search for it for you unless someone has already beat me to it!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 16

Don't feel silly, I thought the same thing, at least you were brave enough to ask. I spent a long time trying to figure these things out. welcome!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 16

there's also a recipe for it...click on the recipes icon above and type in mmf. icon_lol.gif

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 16
Melscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melscakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 16

ooh I have a question about MMF too.. what is the easiest way to color it?? Im decorating a cake tonight, and I wanted to use some MMF accents.. but the last time I made it, I had a hard time coloring so I only used two colors..lol. I know there has to be a few threads about this. but Im kind of in a rush icon_biggrin.gif

Help icon_cry.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #9 of 16

Just knead...knead and more kneading. It is a little bit of a workout. But I kind of roll the fondant in my hands and just keep working the color in. I use alot of shortening on my hands too. Some say it is easier if you color it when your making the fondant, but I don't usually need that much.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #10 of 16

If you are making a large batch of same color fondant, say green for a 'grass' base, add the food coloring to the fondant after it is melted but before you start adding the powder sugar. Of course as you add the powder sugar, it will lighten up the color of the fondant, so start out a little darker than what you are actually looking for.

B2B

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #11 of 16

ok i seriously like JUST read on another thread...the name of which i can't remember now, naturally...that somebody said she actually pulls off the amount she wants to color and re-microwaves it to color it. i guess it melts it down some and makes it easier to knead or something? lol. don't quote me, i've never done it, i'm just telling you what i read like 5 minutes ago on another thread. if i can find which thread it was i'll come back and give you the link!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

Just knead...knead and more kneading. It is a little bit of a workout. But I kind of roll the fondant in my hands and just keep working the color in. I use alot of shortening on my hands too. Some say it is easier if you color it when your making the fondant, but I don't usually need that much.

That's what works for me too...roll it into a long snake, then fold it up and roll it again, until it's all evenly colored.

Oh, warm it up a tiny bit before you try to knead the color in, it will make it easier to do. Just 10 seconds or so in the microwave, and be careful when you pick it up in case it's hot.

Guera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Guera Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #13 of 16

I also read here the microwave method, but she said to re-heat the mmf with the coloring and stir with a spoon and once cool enough to handle, to continue mixing with your hands

Claire86navy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire86navy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 16

So I needed to make black mmf for a tuxedo grooms cake. I colored it black when I made it. It sat in the fridge. over night. I took it out the next morning and let it return to room temperature. When I began to work with it all it would do was crack and break. Its like it lost all its elasticity! This is the second time this has happened to me with black fondant. I had also made a batch of white at the same time and it was just fine. So, what's up with the black? Please Help! icon_mad.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 16

I too have nuked it for a few seconds before kneading color into it.

Clair86, I've had the problem w/ black too. I've never put mine in the fridge though. But I think it's the cocoa powder (b/c my brown does the same). So, what I've done is add some glycerin & it comes back to itself. I would suggest if you can just to make it the night before you need it & leave it on the counter. Might want it to be a little "sticky" before you let it rest. Maybe it dries out more upon resting than regular MMF.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 16

nuking it for a few seconds definitely helps. Also, I had lots of bumps of sugar in mine when I first started making it and those were because I was adding the sugar too fast. If you add it slowly it soaks up the moisture and then you can add the rest of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%