Can Anyone Tell Me Where I Went Wrong With This Recipe???

Decorating By keyshia Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm by JanH

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all, I got a recipe from the forums on the Wilton website because I wanted a good recipe for a scatch lemon cake. Anyway, after following these instructions, I baked my cakes and the middles fell. icon_sad.gif the only thing that wasn't clear that I can think of that might have cause it is that it didn't say whether to mix the lemon juice and buttermilk, so I did. Otherwise, I am not sure why it did that! The batter was yummy, I haven't tasted the ruined cakes yet, but would love to figure out where I went wrong. here's the recipe (and TIA!):

3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter (softened)
2 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk

1. Make the batter. Preheat oven to 350 degreesF. Using a small brush, lightly coat two 9 in cake pans with softened butter or vegetable oil cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out any exces. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside. In a large bowl using a mixer set at medium speed, ream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending each thoroughly before adding the next. Scrape down sides and beat in vanilla extract. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the lemon juice and buttermilk and ending with the dry ingredients.

2. Bake the cake. Divide the batter equally between the pans and spread evenly. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a tester inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean --20-30 min. Cool in the cake pans on a wire rack for 15 min. Using a knife, loosen the cake layers from the sides of the pans and invert the layers onto the wire rack to cool completely. Frost with Lemon buttercream.

Like I said, thanks for any input! icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

4 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm... the ony reason cakes have ever fallen on me was because I opened the oven inthe middle of baking or tested it with a toothpick too soon.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 5

I have had a soft cake (also lemon) fall when I forgot to tap out bubbles and my DH wouldn't quit opening the oven to look before I showed him how to turn on the light. I took the fallen cake and layered with lemon curd, berry filling, and marscapone/cream and made a trifle and told everyone that was what I had intended icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #4 of 5

I don't bake from scratch however one thing that no one has addressed is the possiblilty of elevation differences. This can be a major problem. I have no idea what the elevation is where you are.....if it's over 2,500 that could be the problem.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 5

There's more than one reason why cake layers would fall upon cooling - overmixing probably being #1.

Cake troubleshooting chart:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%