How Do You Flood Your Cookies With Ri?

Baking By cookieman Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 2:32pm by twinsmake5

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 16

When using royal icing (or another icing like it), what is your preferred flooding technique? I have always used a squeeze bottle. I outline the cookie and then fill in by squeezing away using the tip of the bottle to spread the RI as I go. I'd love to know how others do this. Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 16

I've used a piping bag, a spoon to just drop icing on the cookie and spead it around, and more recently, tried the squeeze bottle technique! I LOVED using a squeeze bottle! Very easy and clean process! I'll continue to use squeeze bottles!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 16

I've been using a piping bag and it's been such a mess.
My son wants to help with the Easter cookies...so I got the bottles hoping it would be easier and neater for him.

I am so encouraged by your comments!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 16

I'm so glad you asked this because I'm new to cookies (other than what my family will eat) and have wondered the same thing. My neighbor uses squeeze bottles and now you have convinced me to go buy someicon_smile.gif I agree piping bag is a mess!

Paula

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 16

If you go to coppergifts.com you can get bottles that you can actually put tips on. They are great! I love mine.
Melissa

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 16

I use the squeeze bottles also. Works very well for me.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of 16

I'm glad I posted this question! It seems to have helped some people and reassured me that I am going about it the right way (after many years I guess I needed the confirmation!). Sometimes it is hard on my wrist, but I think that is due to the excessive amount of time I spend on the computer between work and CC! Thanks to all who replied! icon_smile.gif

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 16

I've always used the bags and tips but recently purchased some bottles from Kitchengifts. Can't wait to try them and if they work as well as everyone says I will definetly be buying more. Disposable bags are getting way to costly for all the cookies I do. Lynda

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 16

I have used squeeze bottles, cloth piping bags, plastic disposable piping bags and parchment cones. I prefer the parchment (1st choice) or disposable plastic because I don't like the clean-up of the the others.

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:30am
post #10 of 16

I like the squeeze bottles as well. You can get a 6 pack of them at Smart and Final for cheeep.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 16

I'm going to hijack this thread just a little. Sounds like alot of you prefer the RI to flood with instead of using MMF which I have been using. Do you not find it very sweet? I have used it but thought I preferred the fondant. Comments/suggestions? icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 16

I use a piping bag and tips #3. I place a small moist paper towel in the bottom of my drinking glasses (one for each color) and set my piping bags in the glasses (the paper towel keeps the tips moist) while I'm working on my cookies.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 16

Candy bottles -- the plastic squirt bottles in the chocolate section of your local cake shop. Thin to flood stage and outline and flood with the same consistency -- no need for two consistencies. icon_biggrin.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 16

This past weekend was my first time flooding cookies. I tried using the pastry bag and the squeeze bottle and the bottle worked so much easier! I didn't have to worry about the icing dripping out of the tip in between cookies or squirting out of the top of the bag from squeezing. The only thing I had trouble with was over-flooding icon_biggrin.gif lol. Apparently the "less-is-more" concept works here.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:52am
post #15 of 16

ok... I'm obviously going to have to try using my bottle!! I hate trying to get that thin RI into the bag!! What a novel idea!! Thanks!! icon_lol.gif

Kim

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 16

I vote for the squeeze bottles - the smaller size from kitchengifts. It's harder to clean the big one and I've never needed that much icing at one time anyway. I like these bottle because you can change the tip size using your Wilton or similar metal tips. Easy... a no brainer. I will never return to the piping bag or the spoon method! I do want to try MMF - haven't done that yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%