Just Curious!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 8 Aug 2005 , 4:20pm by Jackie

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 26

I was just looking at all the wonderful food shaped cakes for the contest and there are several entries from people I have seen anything else from. .....No posts and no pictures other than the one entered for the contest... Why is that?

If they are going to be a member of this fabulous site, IMO, they should be posting in the forums and the galleries and not just post for contests and take away from those who have been on here forever or even just recently joined and introduced themselves. Just a little frustrating that this kind of thing is happening here on CC!

Good luck to the "honest and genuine" members! There are some really really great looking cakes in the contest this time!!

Amy

25 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 26

Perhaps there ought to be some 'requirements' made to enter contests? Personally, I don't care as long as they are members of this board, which they apparantly have to be to post, pictures or otherwise. But since you feel other wise, Cakemommy (and I respect how you feel), talk to Jackie and ask her to place requirements if others feels as you do.

I sure was impressed with some of those cakes though!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 26

The contest has been limited to "members" of CakeCentral only. I understand what you're saying about someone who doesn't frequent CakeCentral entering the contest; however, that would be an issue for Jackie to decide on how to handle icon_smile.gif

For entry rules regarding members only entering contest, see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/contest-1-Food-Shaped-cake-decorating.html

cakemommy Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 26

I am aware of and understand all that but it seems that some of the non-frequent members are stealing all the thunder for those who have worked so hard with what they have learned from this site.

I too am impressed with what I have seen from those select few and what I'm saying is "Join us, let us know who you are (in so many words of course) and share your techniques." "Don't just watch, come in and steal from us and dissappear. Stay a while and share."

All done!!!

Amy

Just trying to stick up for the underdogs of which I am one!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 26

I am a new member and this is my first interjection. I am sooo amazed with this website!! I Love it!! I have been into cakes for years and when I found this website, I felt like I had found a "home". I haven't posted any pics yet or entered any contest. I don't know where to start. I want to be a "regular". But, don't know how to or where to send pics of my cakes.

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 26

Don't you think its a little harsh to say they are "stealing" by entering ? Perhaps they are to intimidated to post pictures and this is there first time entering a contest.

cakemommy Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 26

Intimidated by posting a work of art! Did you look at the entries???

I believe I said I'm done with this subject and now I was forced to write another comment.

I think I"ll drop out now for good. Bye everyone and enjoy decorating. Apparently I'm not allowed to voice my opinion here. I wasn't asked to stick up for the underdog, I took that risk on my own and now the price is paid. So long everyone!

Amy

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 26

i understand how u feel.. but id just talk to jackie or something if you feel that strong about it icon_razz.gif

ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 26

cakemommy, We by no means would want you to leave this site because of this .. I understand what you're saying, I just wanted to let you know that Jackie has put in place policy that limits the contest to only members of CakeCentral .. please don't take what others say or anything that I may have said to you as a personal attack against you. It was never meant to be that .. so I apologize if you felt that I may have done this to you in any way.

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 26

Would it be that difficult to omit the names of the entries? That way the cake would be truly judged...not the member. just a thought

Wasn't this subject brought up last contest?

ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 26

That's a good idea and suggestion that can be made to Jackie .. I'm not sure if it can be done, but we can suggest it icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 26

Jackie is working on some programming that limits who can and cannot put cakes in the contests, but if memory serves me correctly, she also has another job...and programming can take time if you want it done right.

Locking this post so that no one offends anyone in any way shape or form, every one has a right to an opinion. I think enough of them have been stated. Any other questions related to this topic, which is about the contest should go into the Cake Contest forum.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:07am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I was just looking at all the wonderful food shaped cakes for the contest and there are several entries from people I have seen anything else from. .....No posts and no pictures other than the one entered for the contest... Why is that?
Amy

Hi Amy,

This has come up before in our other contests, you can read more here.

What I decided after getting a lot of good feedback from the community, was to install a rule on future contests where there would be some sort of initial time that must pass before you can participate in the contests.
For example, when a user firsts registers on CakeCentral.com, they will not be able to enter a cake, or vote on the cakes until they have been a member for at least 30 days. As M0use said earlier, this requires a great deal of programming on my part. That is why this rule has not been implemented yet. However when I do , you can be sure I will make an announcement about it, and clearly post it once it goes into effect.

Some members are extremely active on this site, and will send a PM to someone that needs help, or leaves posative comments on other's photos, without every posting any of thier own. Then I may post the next contest theme, and they have just the cake to enter. I do not want to discourage these members from entering, simply because they have not posted in the forums, or uploaded other photos yet.

Quote:
Quote:

Intimidated by posting a work of art! Did you look at the entries???
......I took that risk on my own and now the price is paid. So long everyone!

I believe you may have mis-read the post (I am guilty of that as well sometimes icon_smile.gif ) by katiebug, I did not read any of that post, or any of the other posts in this thread as an offense, or personal attack on you. I believe she was trying to say, that some people may feel intimitaded by the other cakes in the contest, or in the photo gallery, and may not want to post thiers, because they feel intimidated.
I do not think she was saying "you" personally may or should feel intimidated.

I really enjoy the CakeCentral galleries, and contests. I love seeing what the members of CakeCentral with come up with next. The interesting thing about the contests for me is, I have access to all the voting data, and I can see how many cakes are getting which votes. And every contest surprises me.

And I do agree with KatieBug, that the word "stealing" may not have been the best choice of a word, but I completely understand what you are saying. As a matter of fact, a lot of people in the community share your exact sentiments. (See this thread).

Just to re-cap, I will be implementing a 30-day "no-contest participation" period, however I do not know if the programming will be complete by the time the next contest starts. When I do make this a rule, I will make an announcement.

Another "hot" topic about the contests is, giving prizes for the all the top cakes, such as 2nd third, 4th place, etc. I wish I could! To be perfectly honest, I wish I could give prizes to everyone that entered, but the CakeCentral budget at this time only allows for 1 prize to be given out each contest. One thing I did start doing is announcing the runners-up in the newsletter and in the forums. The contests are always so close, I am literally biting my nails! icon_smile.gif The past few winners have only been seperated by just a few points.

On another note, I just wanted to thank the CakeCentral moderators for responding to these questions as quickly as you did. I am re-opening this thread for a little while, so cakemommy, and others can feel free to respond to what I have said.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:58am
post #14 of 26

I have said enough about how I feel the last time this came up, but always the bottom line for me is that Jackie has done her best to implement the fairest method in her opinion. After all, it is her site and her rules and if I did not get that message across well before, I would like to now. I appreciate the fact that she tries to obtain input from the members of the site and I appreciate just how much work it must be to change things or implement the changes. Not being a computer whiz like our Jackie, I wouldn't have the smallest notion of what she goes through with these situations, but I can see the results and I appreciate the efforts.
Just a wee note, though, there are folks like me who don't really like posting pictures unless they are practially bullied into it. That is just how we are, we are not withholding things so as not to share. Personally I prefer to offer recipes or tips or instructions, when I can. Now I am wondering if folks think I don't offer pictures because I don't want to share or participate fully or if they think I have other reasons. I am just not comfortable with putting up pictures, I don't know if that is a modesty thing or what, but that is just the way I am. I am wondering if now I need to apologize for it and do something I am not really comfortable with just so as to feel like I am a member in full standing? And if I felt like entering a cake into a contest would folks be upset with me because it was the first cake that they had seen me post on the site even though I have posted one or two others, just not in a photos area?
I think that perhaps folks have different ideas about what membership is about. For some folks, it is reading the posts and offering instructions or recipes or possible solutions to problems. For others it is looking at pictures and offering encouragement and praise. Others just read the posts and articles and such and thank folks for sharing. Some folks only post questions when they have problems, hoping for responses. Sometimes we learn a lot from these questions, because they really make us think. Some folks only have access to a computer at work and so make very limited posts and don't have the time or access to post a lot. Personally I feel that all members are equal, whatever they do. I value everyone's opinion, I understand we all see things differently from time to time. Sometimes we all blow off steam or are not as careful as we might be in our choice of wordings. We all make mistakes and sometimes we need to apologize and be forgiven.
I suppose what I have a difficult time with, is that every couple of weeks or so, it seems that a thread has to take a bit of a mean turn. Either folks taking offense because someone has not chosen their words carefully or folks stating an opinion feeling like they are being attacked because someone else doesn't agree with it. Then folks start threatening to quit or leave the site. Well it all gets to me, makes me feel uncomfortable, makes me stay away. I suspect I am not alone in feeling this way.
We are on this site to share a passion, information, encouragement and such, not to use it to offend others and to get our way or leave. I think we are mainly all adults and so we should be able to handle differences of opinion and state our views in a nice way. I find that some days I just don't have the patience to deal with the stuff that goes on, in some form or another, on all of these cake sites, no matter how hard the owners or moderators try to keep track of things. So when I get fed up enough, I stay away and when I get over it, I return. On some sites, I just stay away permanently, if it goes on often enough. That is my choice, not anyone's fault.
I just really and truly wish that folks would try to make positive posts with positive comments when they are referring to other folks on the site. It really upsets me when the posts might be read and cause offense to someone who has just joined or who may be more sensitive than others. What folks may not realize is that some folks don't have a lot of contacts in the outside world and their communications here may be deemed a form of a community friendship. So anything negative may be truly taken to heart, even though it is an anonymous cake site.
Just my opinion,
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:46am
post #15 of 26

i just wanted to say, about the contest.....I ENTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME! i was so excited too! now, because my husband uploaded or down loaded whichever, my picture for me, i didnt get to post anything under the comment section. i tried to go back and put something in and couldnt figure it out. so mine just has a picture and my name.
it was a lot of fun to make, and i was able to try to make something that i had been wanting to try for some time now. and i really want that book.
anyway, i cant wait for the next contest to be announced so that my wheels can start turning again.
so glad we all have the same passion here!
melody

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:58am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

i just wanted to say, about the contest.....I ENTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME! i was so excited too! now, because my husband uploaded or down loaded whichever, my picture for me, i didnt get to post anything under the comment section. i tried to go back and put something in and couldnt figure it out. so mine just has a picture and my name.
it was a lot of fun to make, and i was able to try to make something that i had been wanting to try for some time now. and i really want that book.
anyway, i cant wait for the next contest to be announced so that my wheels can start turning again.
so glad we all have the same passion here!
melody

Melody,
Good for you! It takes a lot of guts to put your cake out there, to be judged and I truly admire all of the folks who participate in these contests! I personally think you are all winners regardless of the contest results and I am proud of all of you.
I think it is wonderful to see how excited and enthusiastic you are, being a contest entrant, it is so nice to see.
All the best of luck to all of our wonderful contributors!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:51am
post #17 of 26

Here I go again (I'll probably get repremanded for this) but I disagree about it taking guts to enter a contest... BUT since it was brought up again... Why would it take a lot of guts to enter in a contest??? You post your pics right? Well all you have to do is post the pic in the contest! Win or loose your a cake decorator just like everyone else. If your afraid of loosing then I understand but to not post a pic in the contest because of someones opinions is ridiculous. That's just a cop out. Win or loose you are still a winner!!!

We have already went over this time & time again!! The rules were stated during the last contest & it didn't need to be in red ink this time!! Rules were set by Jackie & that's that. You weren't supposed to enter more then 1 picture PERIOD. You were supposed to be in the forum for 30 days PERIOD.

Cakemommy saw that a few decorators had entered & weren't qualified to enter so she told everyone. That's what she was supposed to do. She is also human & gave her feelings too. Something she does have too. It was easy for Jackie to take the double pics out of the contest. If you agree w/ the rules then by all means tell Jackie when there is someone entering in the contests that isn't qualified. Then that's on Jackie if she doesn't remove the pic.

I read posts a long time before I entered a contest... I was never intimated. So stop making excuses & enter those cakes in the contests & read the directions & follow them! Man, how easy is it to follow directions!

While I'm on a soap box... I should put this in the moderator post BUT since we're talking I thought I'd add it here..
I know I will never be picked to be a moderator Jackie & that's fine with me!! I don't want to be one if it means I have to always agree with everyone & not have my own opinion (Not throwing that at anyone. If I was I would name names). That's not me. I have given my opinion a few times & then have my opinion be turned around & questions I ask not be answered. I only speak when I feel strongly about something. If speaking my opinion gets me kicked off here then everyone will know why!! I'm a very nice person & I love helping people!! But when I disagree with something then I should be able to say that I disagree. I have never been hurtful or hateful with my posts. I am not quitting CC... I am just telling how I feel. Maybe I'll do like you do Squirrelly... go away for a few days then come back when I've cooled down. The same things keep coming up because they haven't been resolved you know...

That's all I gottta say for now...

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:36am
post #18 of 26

Hey Turtlelady,
Actually, I was asked by a friend on another site why she couldn't post a vote on this contest and since I know that she only joined recently, I thought that perhaps Jackie had put the rules that were discussed into place and that is why her vote wasn't registering. She thought she wasn't voting in the right way. Anyway after I answered her, I looked on the site and saw Jackie's post about the rules not being changed in time for this contest as it involved a lot of programming. So I then posted to my friend that the rules hadn't been changed, but in another of Jackie's posts she had stated that she had set the time to midnight for the votes to start registering and it hadn't worked. (So I told her to try posting again) So from that information, I took it to mean that the voting rules had not changed in time for this contest, which means that the same rules applied from the other contest and therefore anyone who had joined regardless of when could enter and/or vote. Did I get that right? So if that is the case, then anyone can still enter and/or vote and therefore all entrants or voters had followed the present rules.
I respect your right to agree or disagree with anything you like kiddo, I think you know that by now. I always value your posts, I have a lot of personal respect for you and your knowledge and kindness and friendliness to all.
Regarding my comments about folks entering cakes in contests, I still think it takes a lot of guts to create something and put it out there, whether it is a work of art (which in my opinion is the category cakes fall into) or anything else.
I have been decorating for almost 30 years and until quite recently never showed anyone pictures of my cakes. That is just part of my personality, I also don't like having my picture taken, that is just me. Haha, in fact a cake buddy of mine who I finally met in person was beset with a couple of requests for pictures she had taken of her and me when she visited, pretty funny actually. I was an extremely shy person (don't laugh) and I think one of the last throwbacks of this might be how I feel about showing people things that I have done. It is partly the modesty we were taught in private religious schools about how you should never have pride in your work and such. Anyway, that is likely why I have so much respect for folks that can do this. I also respect folks that enter contests knowing that they may not win, but they enter just to participate in the fun of it.
Having said that, I guess I am one of those folks that is not truly competitive, haha, good thing I am such a crappy athelete and don't enjoy playing games!
I just wish that when things like this come up, we could perhaps find another nicer way of bringing them up without it getting so personal. I know people make comments in the heat of the moment, but having done so it would be perhaps a good idea to go back and read them before they are posted so that down the road, there isn't a lot of hard feelings and folks leaving and such. I am including in that, comments commenting on posts, not just posts. I find that true on every site. Now maybe I am in the minority reacting that way and perhaps the majority feel that I am wrong. Perhaps I am just at an age and in a space in time when I want peace and try my darndest to be in nice places and avoid situations that are not nice whenever possible. Perhaps stating that is not being respectful of other folks' rights to view things in another way. I guess I find often that there is a lot of aggression out there and I would like to live in a kinder gentler time, but that is my problem, haha!
I do apologize if I have offended you or anyone else, Turtlelady, because you are truly a favourite of mine kiddo!
Hugs Squirrelly

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:41pm
post #19 of 26

I am one of those behind the scenes members. I am sorry I do not post very much. That is just my personality. If I see a post that has not been answered, I will help if I can, but everyone is usually really quick to answer. I don't usually post questions because I search through past posts and usually find answers. My main reason for joining this group is to read through posts to learn and look at the gallery for ideas. When I post my photos I try to put as much information in the comment so someone can duplicate if they want. This website is by far the best place to get ideas. Reading through this post and the one in July made me feel guilty for posting a pic in the contest. This is the first contest I attempted because I love to do sculpted cakes. I don't know if I want to be forced to post regularly in the forum and there are months I may make only one cake. I am seriously considering entering the OK State Sugar Art sculpted cake division competition and I thought entering the CC contest would help me prepare for this. I never meant to hurt anyones feelings and I hope I will be able to continue entering the contests.

My $.02 icon_smile.gif

BTW, deadline for entries for OK State Sugar Art Competition is September 23
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2429.html

cakemommy Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 26

Talmas, I have seen your photos and was not mentioning you at all!!! In fact, your entry is one of many I voted high marks for! I actually got hungry for corn after I saw your entry. Dont' feel bad in the least bit. You participate and that's great!

Good luck in the CC contest and go for it and enter the Sugar Arts Show. I enter the San Diego Cake Club Confections on Parade show in March. This will be my third year!!

Amy

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:22pm
post #21 of 26

You know what...This is really ridiculous!!!! All this hurt feelings over a contest and Moderators and people making or not making post and posting or not posting pictures....You know we are all truly a family and what do families do best... ARGUE!!!! And then some of them make up and some of them go their own seperate ways. So why don't we all GROW UP!!!! If you want to make a post make one...if you want to post a picture...do so!!! I know my cakes don't even pail in comparison to other's cakes...but I still post them, I still ask for advice and help, and I still try to give help or advice when needed. What I am saying is DONT let anyone on this site intimedate you or discourage you from posting pics, SAYING WHAT YOU WANT...ie speaking your mind!, or in general JUST BEING YOU. Stand up for yourself! Be PROUD of Yourself. POST IF YOU WANT TO or don't Post at all. It's your choice. You have the Freedom of choice, freedom of Speech, the Freedom to decorate...NOW USE IT and GROW UP PEOPLE!!!! Any complaints can be made straight to me about what I have said...I'm grown up enough to take it...just not enough to admit my real age!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:23pm
post #22 of 26

Talmas I wasn't referring to you either. Your cakes are great!! And you are a wonderful member/friend!! I apologize to anyone who I've offended by my opinions. I just wish that anyone who feels the same way I do would speak up. I'm tired of being portrade (spelling?) as the one w/ a lot of aggression (guoting Squirrelly). I am a very nice person till someone makes me out to be mean.

Good luck Talmas!!!!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:11pm
post #23 of 26

portrayed

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #24 of 26

I think all this forum needed was one simple clarifying post.

Yes this has all been covered last month.

Yes Jackie made a decision about what the future rules will be.

No Jackie has not implemented the new rules and therefore the old rules are still in place.

Yes Jackie will announce when the new rules are active.

No one is being forced to post pics or talk in the forum. A probationary membership period is all that will be required. No one is being alienated or made to feel less than welcome based on their participation level.

So now that we are all on the same page, can we all hug, move past the drama, and get back to making fabulous cakes? icon_biggrin.gif

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:21pm
post #25 of 26

I think that puts the icing on the cake Heath!

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:20pm
post #26 of 26

I am locking this thread.

Thanks to everyone who voiced thier opinions.

The reason I am locking this thread is it seems, there have been some mis-communication and hurt feelings, when there shouldn't have been.

Cakecentral currently has over 10,000 members and most of them vote, Not all of them post in the forums, or upload photos.

I am talking about thousands of votes on EVERY SINGLE CAKE entered in the contest.

The people who have won in the past, have had thousands of different people vote for them, yet the top 10 cakes were still only seperated by a few points.

The contest prize is a BOOK. Let's not forget that. I am not giving away any cars, or vacations here. Just a book.

Everyone is welcome to participate in the contests. If you just want to upload your photo and not put it in a contest, you can do that too.

Most people will get loads of posative feedback on every photo of cakes they upload. I do not allow unconstructive comments in the CakeCentral gallery. So in my opinion only encouragement and good things can come from sharing your cakes with the rest of the community.

I also completely understand those folks that do not want to upload thier photos, whatever thier reasons, and that is OK too. And to be perfectly honest, I am also guilty of that. Being the administrator of this site, the automatic assumption is that I am some world-class decorator. I am not, not by a longshot.

I do it because I love it. I'm not the best, I'm not trying to be the best. I just have fun and enjoy myself and mostly enjoy sharing new techniques, recipes and ideas with others who love cake decorating as much as I do. And that's really what this site is all about.

And that's what the contests are supposed to be about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%