Can I Do This?

Business By SweetThistleCakes Updated 26 Dec 2006 , 4:11pm by knoxcop1

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:06am
post #1 of 18

Please bear with me- most of this seems scattered over a few paragraphs:

I've been offered a space downtown at a steal of a price. It's an upstairs loft- type of space that is currently occupied as a law firm. My overhead would be approx. $300/ per month, give or take. I can afford that. I currently have a licensed kitchen that I dont have to pay extra for, but I dont have a space to advertise there because it's privately operated (by the owner) and the rules say no to that. So the prospective space would strictly be for advertising and for consulting. No need to have a kitchen on site. I cant afford to build one, and I'm getting one for nothing now.

I don't want to open a full blown bakery. I soley want to do occasion cakes. Weddings, birthdays, all occasions. That means no store front open to the public- kinda like Charm City Cakes. I want to only do custom made to order cakes because I dont have the desire to do have a variety of cakes, place them in a display, and hope they sell.

I haven't had any "paying" orders since the end of October. Before that, I was going strong. Partially because I haven't been actively seeking them because I'm been a lil burnt out and partially because well, who knows why...but my phone hasnt been ringing. There always seems to be an interest but BS walks, and money talks and it's been pretty silent.

Can this be beneficial? How do you market a custom cake shop opposed a bakery? Wont people expect a full fledged store front with items to go? Is it worth the $$ and the 6 month lease to take a chance on this? After all, it's only going to be a place with a consult room and a sign outside. Is that alone worth $300 /mo in hopes of drumming up some steady business? Worst case scenario is that I sign the lease and I fail and I'm paying for space I dont use, right?

17 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:12am
post #2 of 18

If you can afford to spend $300 per month for the space,with or without business then why not?

Sounds like very reasonable rent.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:24am
post #3 of 18

$300 is a reasonable rent, but I see some possible questions/problems.

Second story means no passersby to look in.
Yes, most people would expect baked goods on display.
If it is only for consultations, there are cheaper ways.
You already have a custom cake business-just not shop

Also, it won't be just the $300, you might have heat/air conditioning/lights/garbage. And, you will have to furnish it.

You might find a way to make it work for you, but I am guessing you could find a better use for that money. Now, if there was kitchen, it would be a very different story.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:38am
post #4 of 18

If you tried it, make sure to have dummy cakes made up for display.

You may want a small fridge to house samples.

Is there a way you could use a room in your home for consultations.

Six months isn't that long if you give it a shot and it doesn't work you loose your money but you gave it a try.

How strong is your dream?

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 4:38am
post #5 of 18

Technically, if you have the money you can do it. Personally, for that type of building and arrangement, I would save the money and use it for other marketing. That way too, you are not tied down to an office where you can't bake or leave if you want to get your name out there other ways. Look at all your options first. $300/month is a great deal, but you are losing a ton of free time to do the other parts of your business....

Just my opinion.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 5:27am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetThistleCakes

Please bear with me- most of this seems scattered over a few paragraphs:

I've been offered a space downtown at a steal of a price. It's an upstairs loft- type of space that is currently occupied as a law firm. My overhead would be approx. $300/ per month, give or take. I can afford that. I currently have a licensed kitchen that I dont have to pay extra for, but I dont have a space to advertise there because it's privately operated (by the owner) and the rules say no to that. So the prospective space would strictly be for advertising and for consulting. No need to have a kitchen on site. I cant afford to build one, and I'm getting one for nothing now.

Can you have consultations at the current locations?
mpc

mypastrychef Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 5:55am
post #7 of 18
Quote:

Can this be beneficial? How do you market a custom cake shop opposed a bakery? Wont people expect a full fledged store front with items to go? Is it worth the $$ and the 6 month lease to take a chance on this? After all, it's only going to be a place with a consult room and a sign outside. Is that alone worth $300 /mo in hopes of drumming up some steady business? Worst case scenario is that I sign the lease and I fail and I'm paying for space I dont use, right?

If you can have consultations at you current location, then that is what you should focus on!!

My shop is like Charm City-you can not come in and buy anything except your cake...pre-ordered cake. Most of my customers call ahead for an appointment or order over the phone. Lots go to my website to look for ideas and then call me to order over the phone. If they randomly drop-in they will be greeted by a "locked door" and a sign stating "RING DOOR BELL". We look at our surveillance camera and decide if we want to unlock the door.

OK, do you have a visual?

People will learn that you don't have a full fledged bakery. That is not a problem. Our customers wish we had something out for them to buy on the spot, but that doesn't keep them from coming back.

The idea may sound charming, but I think this loft would be a huge burden on you. There are so many ways you can use $300 month to your advantage.
If you want to throw away $1800 CALL me!
mpc

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 8:58am
post #8 of 18

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you have a licensed kitchen that you are now using that belongs to someone else. They will not let you advertise your business. You are not paying for the use of the kitchen?Do your customers come to the kitchen to pick up their orders? How did they hear about you to start with? Possible thoughts. Could you talk to the owner and maybe work out a deal to pay them a little to be able to advertise? I cannot see spending money on a second floor room, just for consulting, besides it sounds like you may be tired of what you are doing, why would you want to get in deeper? Maybe you should look for another place that you could do what you want, and not be hampered by someone else's rules. It sounds like you may need to really look at your situation, and decide if you really want to continue on. There are certainly other ways to advertise that won't lock you in to a lease. Good Luck though on whatever you decide to do.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 18

Let me hit on some of the questions here.

I can afford the rent. The space is actually $200, but I factored in an additional $100 for insurance, electricity, trash removal, etc.

I have three elaborately decorated dummies and a large window of which to display them in.

I can not have consults at my current location. There are no negotiations on this. I deliver my orders to the reception/ home of the order-ee. My orders come in via word of mouth. I had fliers and biz cards out where I was able to place them.

I'm not so much tired of what i am doing as much as I am tired of spending the $$ to be legal and not getting anywhere in my opinion. What I am spending the $$ on is the health inspection, the permit for the year, and the Saniserve class. Quite honestly, after al the $$ for ingredients and such I have spent this year, I'm out $$. Why do this for free?

What kind of cheap ways are there out there?
The local newspaper didnt work for me. There is a monthly town magazine that is publish but a small cube of a 2in X 2 in space for advertisting is $140/ mo. For an extra $60 a month, I figure, why not have a banner outside a buliding that will stay up month long on a busy strip?
What I have working for me is that there is no bakery in town. There are two grocery stores, a bistro that carries pastries, and a kolache place that has "decorated cakes" but it'a all traditional decorated with buttercream and such. My contribution would be fondant and whimsical and 3 D designs where the only place they can get them now is 45 mins away in Dallas and then their paying a mininum of $4 slice.

I'm really torn bwt what to do here.
icon_confused.gif It's Christmas morning and I'm more worried about this than celebrating the day. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MPC, you do what I want to do. Call me, place the order, and then come pick it up.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 18

I'm not sure it would be benificial for you to rent a space for consults. This is a funny business to be in since its all word of mouth you might be better for you to invest the $$ into some internet bridal web sites and a listing in the yellow pages of your area. I have recieved several orders off the internet and pay a minimal fee to have my web site linked to them do you have a web site thats another way to recieve business, on my contracts I have a place where the brides lets me know where she has been refered by, lot from my site and from the bridal sites. The biggest and best thing you can do is to spend that money on a web site if you don't have one best advertisement you can have. Most Bridal sites are free but you can add the link for a website for a fee some even at no charge.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 18

Then why not spend your $$$ on finding a small place where you could also have the commercial kitchen? Do you realize that now...you are running between your house, the kitchen, & customer doors. Adding an office to that might just run you crazy! If you could do everything out of one spot you will make your baking less hectic. JMHO.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 18

Just noticed are you moving to a different area in 8mo to NC if so doesn't make sense if you are having to start over again.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 18

Yeah. I have to agree that it might behoove you to look for space that allows you kitchen access and has a space available for consults as well.

Not knowing your city, that may be a stretch for you to accomplish. But in the end---it would certainly be better than running to three different places to get one thing done.

Not to mention the fact that in cake dollars, $300 in 30 days' time is HUGE. Huge.

Let us know how it works out, and what you decide.

Best of luck,
--Knox--

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 18

Network!!!! The brides go to all of the other vendors in your area. The photographer, the bridal shop, the venue, the caterer, etc., all send me brides. I send brides to them. Attend bridal shows. I go to 4 shows 2 times a year. Join the Chamber. Have a cake display at the bridal shop. Maybe you can meet clients there. I have a listing under bakery and wedding cakes in the yellow pages. You are the marketing department of you. Get excited about what you do. It takes a lot of $ and work to be legal. Be proud of what you do. I first started working with a caterer and did all of her cakes, then I grew so much I had to rent a space. That was 6 years ago, and I am remodeling the shop to add more space. The space you are looking at does not sound like what you need. A small store front, even with out a kitchen would be better. You need to be visable. Partner with another vendor. You have to get it rolling to make it work. It is so worth it!

mypastrychef Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 2:43am
post #15 of 18
Quote:

What kind of cheap ways are there out there?
The local newspaper didnt work for me. There is a monthly town magazine that is publish but a small cube of a 2in X 2 in space for advertisting is $140/ mo. For an extra $60 a month, I figure, why not have a banner outside a buliding that will stay up month long on a busy strip?

MPC, you do what I want to do. Call me, place the order, and then come pick it up.

The dieing newspaper is no good unless you do it for a long time and your ad would need to be more than 2x2.

I agree with cakesondemand!!...the website is more valuable than you can imagine!! You can pass out "nice" business cards wherever you go with your website address on them. I remind all my customers no matter how many times I take an order from them to look at my website.
I learned the hard way...You have to continueally market your business. If you have a website with awesome pics of your work, soon people will create a buzz for you.

You always need to market directly to your niche. I keep an ad in the local wedding magazine. I have a 1/2 page ad and a direct link from their website to mine.

I give away a free birthday cake every day on the Top 40 radio station. My certificate says good for 8" white single layer cake with sprinkles and it has to be ordered.
I only have about 2 certificates a month redeemed but "My Pastry Chef Bakery" is mentioned everyday for the contest. THe radio station has a link to my website also. I have many people saying I heard about you on the radio.

If your banner is on the busy road and will be seen by many people then $300 is not bad for that kind of exposure. Make sure you have a large banner, with good info on the banner and a picture of an eye catching, attention grabbing cake.

You have to have pictures most people are visual if they see it they will buy it/order it.

I rented a kiosk in the Mall for $275 month, I put a nice 5 tiered wedding cake in the glass and had brochures and it increased my cake orders during that time.

As for your too many work areas... if everything were at the same location, you could have cakes in the oven while you were taking orders. That would mean more freed up time for you. You will eventually meet yourself coming and going with this work up. But if you can swing it for 6 months and then move to a more sensible plan your customers will follow you. I have moved my business 3 times in 11 years.
mpc

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:45am
post #16 of 18

building out a space to code that wasn't previously a restaurant/bakery is very expensive. I know of several successful cake designers that rent commercial kitchen space but also lease a "studio" space to do final decorations cakes cakes and have consultations. One of them being Marina Sousa of justcake.com. She rents kitchen time from a local church and have a studio where she hold consultations. I think if the rent is only $200 and you can afford it with or without the business I would go for it. That space will be great for hosting tasting parties once or twice a month or more frequently depending on your advertising needs.

emmiepeterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmiepeterson Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:58am
post #17 of 18

what would you do with your business then?I think in only 8 months you would just be starting to see return on it.

emily

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 4:11pm
post #18 of 18

Wow, PastryChef!

Your info is great--thanks for that. Really informative!

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%