Straight From Crisco....their Helpful Tips

Decorating By gourmetcakes Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm by DuckyChickenLady

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 13

Thought I would share what I just found on the Crisco website after still not being 100% happy with my Crisco buttercream that I made last night.

This link will take you directly to the page on the Crisco website giving their tips on specific issues people are having with their buttercream icing that is made with the new Crisco: http://crisco.com/basics/decorating_cakes.asp

I had switched to the Walmart GV brand for the last several months, but have now heard rumors that they are slowly changing their formula to 0 trans fat as well. So, I figured I would try to go back to Crisco before spending a lot of extra money on hi-ratio.

Hope this helps some people who are still having issues. I will try the MP the next time I make some.

12 replies
rlicup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlicup Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 13

i think there is another thread in the forums where alot of CCrs have shared their recommendations with the "new" Crisco. I wish I added it to my watched topics list so I could find it again....

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 13

Hey...there was a great thread in which Indydebi shared a tip on using dream whip with the NTF Crisco...here's the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-491583.html

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but others on the thread (like 7 pgs) have tried it and it's worked. She does recap the recipe in the thread (I think like pg 2 or 3).

HTH

Keyshia

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 13

After reading that thread about IndyDebi's buttercream (which looks very yummy, by the way), the very first post mentioned that the Dream Whip has Trans Fat in it. My fear would be that I would start using this recipe and they start making the Dream Whip 0 Trans Fat too....then what?!?!

I guess I just want to find a fix with the Crisco that will work because I believe, as much as we don't want it to happen in the cake decorating world, that everything will end up Trans Fat Free.

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks sooooooooooooo much!!! I am so glad to have found this thread!!!
I just went through driving around for hours in search on non-rancid shortening. (Hi trans fat)
Every freaking store seems to have 'bad' shortening..it's gross..it has a chemical smell to it.
Anyhow..the Crisco doesn't..and I bought 4 lbs of it..so this is most helpful!! Thank you thank you thank you!!
(everyone normally loves my icing..so I can't let them down!)

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetcakes

After reading that thread about IndyDebi's buttercream (which looks very yummy, by the way), the very first post mentioned that the Dream Whip has Trans Fat in it. My fear would be that I would start using this recipe and they start making the Dream Whip 0 Trans Fat too....then what?!?!

I guess I just want to find a fix with the Crisco that will work because I believe, as much as we don't want it to happen in the cake decorating world, that everything will end up Trans Fat Free.

That was my mistake - dream whip doesn't have any trans fat.

But her recipe works thumbs_up.gif I highly recommend it.

DuckyChickenLady Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 13

Missmeg,
Do you use 1/2 butter & 1/2 shortening with Indydebi's recipe?
I would like to give that a go..and see how it works.
I don't want to give up the butter... thanks in advance, ~Cheryl

missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 13

When I've done that, I've done 1 cup Crisco and 1/3 cup butter - the butter has a different melt ratio than crisco and shouldn't be used in a 50/50 split.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 13

I have been using heavy cream instead of the water and this seems to work for me and tastes yummy

missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 13

I've used whole milk, 2%, 1%, heavy cream, and light cream. You can also substitute any number of liquid flavored creamers for a different taste icon_smile.gif. I like Cinnamon/Hazelnut, White Choc/Rasp, and Butter Pecan.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 13

I've always used 1 T. meringue powder to 1 c. of Crisco in my buttercream and haven't had any problems with the new Crisco with one exception. We had two weeks of solid rain and flooding here in northern Florida recently. My buttercream just fell from the cakes. I had to significantly cut back the liquid for it to work. Other than that, the Crisco has worked fine for me and no problems since. I find the heavy cream to be an interesting suggestion and may give it a try. I haven't found hi-ratio shortening in my area, and the store brands, including Walmart, have been 0 trans fat as well.

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks so much for all the tidbits of info!
I made my BC yesterday with 1/2 Butter & 1/2 Crisco with 2 TBSP's meringue powder. It was a little too grainy...but tasted yummy.
Today I am trying 1 TBSP Dream Whip & 1 TBSP Meringue Powder..and I'll let you know...I am just adding a little more icing sugar.
~Cheryl

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 13

Oh ya..I thought I would share what the grocery manager told me on Friday.
He said that soon it will be impossible to find shortening with any trans fats.
He said that the stores that sell it will be taxed on them. This is here in Ontario, Canada. ~Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%