Texans Out There!! I Need Help!!

Decorating By Nyma Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 7:00pm by tcturtleshell

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 44

Hey guys!! I'm just frustrated!! (how dramatic!!! icon_razz.gif ) AlamoSweets gave me the phone number an address on a place in San Antonio where I could get luster dust (I refuse to order it online!!) the pace is Terry's House of cake decorating but I've been calling all week and nobody answers so according to ALamoSweets they were going to close for the holidays and I guess that's the problem.
SO! my question for you, fellow texans!!, where can I buy some luster dust in TX???? I the next 10 days I will be going to San Antonio, Austin and Dallas so if anyone knows of a store around any of those cities could you please let me know???? Please!!!! icon_cry.gif

Thanks!!!!

43 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 44

cake carousel in Richardson (outside Dallas) or Cakes Amoire in Plano both have it.....

You can find them both on the internet. I just left Cake Carousel and they had quite a bit. You might want to call both to make sure they have what you want

pamelan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamelan Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 44

There is a place here in Dallas called Cake Carousel that is on Central Expressway (75), in Richardson. It is right off the highway (East side) just North of the Arapaho exit. They have a web site that you can pull up on Google. There is also another store Cakes Amore further north on 75, on the west side of the freeway, I think at the Spring Valley exit. They also are on the web. Hope this helps.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 44

I love shopping at both of those places, they have it all!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 44

Cake Craft Shoppe

3530 Highway 6

Sugar Land, Texas 77478
281-491-3920

Esme Cake Supplies
5517 Fm 78, San Antonio, TX 78219
(210) 661-6017

There is a cake supply store in San Antonio that I cannot remember it. I think its across from Chessy Janes the first one. I hope those others help I dont what they carry. I think Cake Craft has a website.

Hope this helps.
MC

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 44

I've heard great things about the Cake Carousel in Richardson! Would love to make a trip there myself one weekend! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 44

Austin has the All in one Bakeshop--it's on Hwy 183 near Lamar. It is the best cake shop any where in my opinion!

Nyma Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 44

Thank you guys!!! I appreciate all you help. I was able to contact Esme Cake supplies but they don't have luster dust. Did call to all in one in Austin and they do have it, so hopefully I will be able to go this weekend party.gif

Thanks everyone!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:54am
post #9 of 44

Sorry about that! I am not sure when they will open but please try to call before you come to SA again. It is owned by a little old husband and wife and they are the dearest and sweetest. They have all shades of the luster dust and coloring dust (doesn't have sheen). It will be worth the trouble to give them another call just before you come. Again, sorry for the disappointment!

Nyma Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 44

Alamosweets that's not a problem, I was just able to catch them yesterday, what happen was that they open from Wed-Sat icon_confused.gif and I was able to verify Sat hrs of operation.

Thanks a lot for your help!

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 44

What's the name of the place in San Antonio (Wed-Sat hours) and phone #?

Nyma Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 44

It is Terry's House of Cake Decorating (or something similar) and their phone # is 210-341-1574.

Bye! icon_biggrin.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:05am
post #13 of 44

I saw this & had to make a post.. My DH & I are going to be in San Antonio this Sat through Tues!!! I have never been & I'm soooo excited!!!! Is there anything I should go see while there? Cool places to eat? We're going to the Riverwalk, Alamo, a boat ride. I can't wait!! DH is going there to one of the AF bases. Can't remember which one. I get to go along for the 1st time in 20 years of marriage!! What a great early Christmas gift! NO KIDS!!

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:19am
post #14 of 44

Yep it is Terry's house of cakes. She is open now. She closes for 2 weeks during thanksgiving and Christmas. She will be closing On Dec. 23rd thru Jan 10.

I go to this place for most of my supplies. Terry and her husband are a very sweet old couple. They help me with tips and everything. They have been giving me ideas as well.

Her address is
1917 El Monte Blvd
San Antonio, TX 78201-2226

Phone: (210)341-1574

Esme Cakes has nothing in it. I live right down the road from them. I wouldn't waste my time.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #15 of 44

TC you will absolutley love San Antonio. We went on our honeymoon, 5 anniversary and twice this year. The river walk is so pretty be sure and go at night when it is all lit up. Be sure and go to the Mexican market you can get Mexican vanilla very cheap. Where are you staying?

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 11:34am
post #16 of 44

mcalhoun,
Thanks for that advice. I have a Mexican friend who is from there. She told me several things to do including the Mexican Market. I hope we have time to go. We will be staying on a AF base nearby. I can't remember the name. We might be staying close to the Riverwalk on Sat night just so we can go sight seeing. Maybe I'll find Christmas gifts while I'm there! I hope! I'm soo excited! We leave tomorrow. I never get out of Louisiana... can you tell? LOL! icon_smile.gif Last time I got out of the state was 2 years ago (I take that back. I did go to Longview to meet Mac & TexasSugar, had a blast!). Went to Memphis. Yep, saw Elvis while I was there! LOL~

Nyma Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 44

Hey turtleshell your going to have a blast in SA, I love that place, we lived in Lackaland AF base (I assume that's the one you're going) for a while in 01-02 and it is great. I'm living 2.5 hrs north now and every time I have a chance I just pack my things and go there. A NICE place to go eat is the Tower of America you will just love that restaurant it's a 750 foot tower with a revolving rest in the top were you can get a gorgeous view of the city and it is very romantic too!!! icon_wink.gif

Have fun!

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 44

OH wow! Never heard of that! I need to go searching for pics! Thanks for the great info! I think it's Brooks Medical Center that we're going to. I know there are a few bases there. I just get them confused. If I ask my DH one more time where we're going he might leave me behind! LOL icon_smile.gif I'm driving him nuts! I'm just excited! LOL~ Is Tower of America expensive? I'd love to go. But if it's too expensive we'll pass & just enjoy the Riverwalk.

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:59pm
post #19 of 44

tcturtleshell...if you have time while in San Antonio, you need to visit HEB Central Market on Broadway. It's a huge gourmet-type grocery store and you can find lots of hard to find ingredients as well as stuff you've never seen before & eat lunch there!!!!!! It's the BEST !!!!!!!!!!

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:03pm
post #20 of 44

Oh cool!! All these great things to do there!! We'll get there tomorrow & be there till Tues. DH will be in class on Mon & Tues so I'll have to go around myself. That market will be something I can do alone. You know men, they don't like stuff like that icon_smile.gif

Moviechick00 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 44

TC you will love downtown SA. I lived there for three years but grew up an just over an hour away. So I used to go all the time. Tower of Americas can be expensive. I havent been there in years. The last I heard it was closed for remodling I am not sure if it has reopened. The Rivercenter mall is cool, there is a comedy club at that mall. The christ mas lights are wow...super wow. The boat rides are fun and lots of time you will learn alot about SA. There are horse carriage rides they are parked in front of the Emily Morgan Hotel and beside the Alamo. I love SA just to visit not to live there. It would take a lot to get me to move back. Hope you have fun!!!
MC

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:08pm
post #22 of 44

I agree with bookbabe. All in one bakeshop in Austin is my favorite place to shop.

Nyma Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:08pm
post #23 of 44

I would say $50-60 for both, I don't like to say if that's expesive or not because "expensive" is very subjective but here's a link to more info and some pics that might help. You can download the rest menu (that's cool!) it doesn't have prices though!

http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/restaurant.html

Enjoy your trip!

Moviechick00 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:11pm
post #24 of 44

Cheesy Janes is a burger place just down the road from Central Market. There is a cake shop on Broadway I think its across the street from Cheesy Janes or right around it. The Witti Museum is on broadway also heres a link http://www.wittemuseum.org/ theres a lot ot do but never enough time.... icon_sad.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:18pm
post #25 of 44

Nyma, thanks for that link. Awesome!! The menu looks delicious! Especially the desserts! LOL~

MC the lights is what I'm really excited about. My home town Natchitoches, Louisiana is called The City of Lights. Oldest town on the Louisiana Purchase. It's a beautiful place to visit. I bet SA is just as pretty. Plus I love Mexican style everything!!

Ya'll are so awesome to give me help! I can't wait to see what others say. So many things to do.

AlamoSweets Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 44

There are so many great restaurants AWAY from the downtown tourist area that are so good. Our family favorite is the La Fonda On Main. They have a patio area with a canopy of banana trees and other tropical plants. In case it is cool they have outdoor heaters. It is just outside of the downtown area so cab fare wouldn't be much. You can look it up on the internet. It is very lovely and very affordable. If you enjoy a margarita theirs are wonderful. If you want an expensive dinner try Boudro's on the Riverwalk. They serve prickly pear margaritas and make guacamole at the table side. Warning - one prickly pear margarita is enough! If you are driving you could venture out to the Hill Country to a small town called Boerne. It is quaint and has lots of little shops that are loaded for Christmas. It is about a 30 minute drive up IH-10. For a great and inexpensive meal try Alamo Cafe. It has been here forever and serves Tex Mex. It is a truly family style restaurant but has very good food and is fun. The ceiling in the entrance is hand painted to look like the sky with ever rising and setting of the sun made to look real with lights. Tortilla makers are right there and you can watch them make fresh hot tortillas. The one on HWY 281 is the best. My opinion only!

There is so much more but to tell you the truth at Christmas time a walk up and down the Riverwalk at night cannot be beat. My Daughter is an Inn Keeper at a small B&B on the Riverwalk. If you need ANY help in finding places or need help in ANY way my cell phone number is on my website www.alamosweets.com. I would love to help in any way I can. I hope you have a wonderful visit. I think you will find San Antonio to be one of the most friendly and laid back cities around. You won't feel like you are in a city that is larger then Dallas!

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:01pm
post #27 of 44

Does anyone know anything about Lucy's Cake shop in SA?

AlamoSweets Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:04pm
post #28 of 44

Lucys is more or less a mass production type shop. They do have some supplies such as basic pans and plastic decorations. It is very far from me on Loop 410. They can produce very inexpensive wedding cakes because of the quantity they make. They have stands and such too. Hope this answers your questions.

Nyma Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:05pm
post #29 of 44

I do! Well, not that much but I called them on Tuesday and they don't have Luster Dust, you can find their phone # if you just put Lucy's, San Antonion on Yahoo search.

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:06pm
post #30 of 44

Thanks for that info Alamosweets! I'm going to go look at your website for the #. I just might call! SA sounds amazing! If my DH didn't have to work tonight I would be ready to leave right now! LOL~ Going to look on your website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%