I Just Needed To Say Thank You!touching Story Attached Too.

Lounge By luvincake Updated 1 Jan 2007 , 5:28pm by alracntna

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:40am
post #1 of 46

The other day I was really down about the Holidays. And I posted it. I recieved so many pm's and a few responses on the post that I don't believe any one of you who answered know just how much you helped me get out of my funk.

But what really brought me out of my funk, was that today, While I was at Hobby Lobby, I noticed an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She had dropped her purse and it was scattered all over the floor. She was totally helpless. She had both legs amputated so it wasn't like she could get out of her chair and pick up the stuff. Everyone walked right past her, including a manager and didn't even offer to help. I left the very long line I was in and went over and just started picking her things up for her. While I was doing that she was telling me that she lost her legs due to diabetes. I told her that my grandmother passed away almost 5 years ago from complications due to diabetes. And the she too had lost her both of her legs. When I went to raise up, the woman grabbed my neck and hugged me. She told me that she had to hug a real life angel. That she could see the halo and wings that just "glowed" all around me. Then she told me that she has been by herself for 2 years now. No visitors, no one has talked to her in a "normal" conversation since her husband died 2 years ago. Except me. She said that she was there to buy an angel for herself to carry on a tradition that her husband started the 1st year they were married. Every year he would suprise her with a new angel for her tree. That was 60 years ago. She also said no one came to visit, no neighbors checked on her only the nurse that comes in 4 times a week. She had no more family. It broke my heart. And I got tears in my eyes. I told her that I would love to come visit her that she reminded me of my grandmother. The woman started to cry and gave me her address and phone #. I called her a little while while ago to check on her and she invited my family over. She said that she would love to have children in her home again even if they were teenagers (she chuckled with that). So my family is going to go over there tommorrow evening and help her decorate her tree. Before I hung up the phone the lady told me, "Last night before I went to bed, I asked God to send me an angel. To let me see one with the halo and wings. Today he sent her to me." icon_cry.gif I hung up with tears in my eyes after I told her "ma'am I am far from being an angel" She told me "you're closer than you think."

I just had to share this story. This woman touched my heart and she pushed me completely out of my funk. So during all of the hustle and bustle of this season let's not forget to smile and not be so rushed. Who knows what your smile could mean to someone else.

Ann

45 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #2 of 46

You were lucky enough to be in just the right place at just the right time to make a difference in someone's life. Happy Holidays!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #3 of 46

thanks for sharing, that's a great story. I'm sure you'll remember it forever!
Happy holidays, and have a great time at her house! icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:30am
post #4 of 46

Oh Ann, that was exactly what you needed. And best of all, she needed it too. Why don't you see if you can find a special little angel ornament to take with you when you go to visit her? You did a good deed!

luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:37am
post #5 of 46

Shirley I love that idea. Thanks, I will definately do that.

Pootchi, you're right I will remeber it forever.

Ann

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:45am
post #6 of 46

I'm crying now! How simply touched you have made this woman feel, you are her angel and God had planned it for you both to meet up in trying times to help each other emotionally. You are now both blessed! I'm happy for you both. I like shirleyw's idea of getting her a small angel to take their tomorrow night. Have fun.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:46am
post #7 of 46

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
That's so beautiful. I'm crying here. Bless you! Enjoy this wonderful lady you have met.
Sharon

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:47am
post #8 of 46

ok, Im close to tears myself! You never know how u bless people, jus going on about your daily routine! That is so wonderful.. I hope you guys have fun tomorrow

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #9 of 46

Oh Ann you made me cry!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

That is so touching. Not many people are willing to help others out anymore, especially the elderly. I love the elderly, I think they are so cute and they have such wonderful experiences they are willing to share. God Bless you Ann for being such a wonderful person and having such a great big heart!!!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #10 of 46

What a beautiful, heartwarming story! I'm wiping the tears now. I've been in a funk myself but your story is changing that. I collect angels and I think this woman knows an angel when she sees one. Thank you for brightening my day!

luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:07am
post #11 of 46

I forgot to mention the most ironic part of this whole thing. I have been married to my husband for going on 7 years. this will be our 6th Christmas together. Every year that we have been married, the day after Thanksgiving he goes out and really fights the crowds to look for an angel tree topper for me. It usually takes him all day to do this. He wants to find that "perfect" one for me. I Love christmas angels. This is his tradition for me. He is going to be leaving for Kuwaiit next week and will be gone a year. So this year he went out looking and brought home 2 angels. He says that I can't look at one of them until next year. And he has it in a special hiding place. He will tell me where it is at the day after Thanksgiving next year. I have been tearing this house apart trying to find it. Just like a kid in a candy store. LOL

Ann

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:16am
post #12 of 46

How odd is that!!! Amazing! You two were ment to meet at Hobby Lobby today. I've got goosebumps right now. That's really sweet that your DH buys you a special angel too icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Now I'm crying again but they are happy tears!

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:45am
post #13 of 46

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif all I have to add to what I wrote earlier is icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Molliebird Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:47am
post #14 of 46

Well, personally I think you're an angel, you've met an angel today in this lady and you married one also. Perhaps this lady is your guardian angel who will be with you while your husband is away. I believe angels are all around us. Some we see and some we don't!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:18am
post #15 of 46

This is the best post I've ever read! You both found exactly what you needed. What a great story!! These are the good things in life that need to be shared.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:27am
post #16 of 46

oh, now you've made me tear up. That's wonderful. I've been struggling to be more considerate to others lately. It's scary to help strangers sometimes. I feel like they'll be offended or something. Your story make me want to keep an eye out for people who need help. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:00am
post #17 of 46

What a wonderful thing that you did. So glad you cared enough to help her, what an incredible start to a new relationship. How about also taking her a cake (diabetic recipe of course) that would be so nice. Your random act of kindness will pay off in a big way. Kudos to you.

luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:08am
post #18 of 46

That sounds like a good idea also, I am sure that she will love it. Does anyone know of something that tastes good for a diabetic cake? I know that I have seen several recipes on here. But what is you opinions of them? Thanks

Ann

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:11am
post #19 of 46

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif That is beautiful!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #20 of 46

Alright, tear factory over here! That is a wonderful story.

How about an angelfood cake? They are usually very low sugar, some are sugarfree. A tiny bit of drizzle over the top would make it even prettier.

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 46

Wow...great story! icon_cry.gif Prayers go out for your hubby & you while he is away.

luvincake Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #22 of 46

We went to the ladies house tonight. And I am telling you, I haven't enjoyed myself like that in soooo long. She is very sweet. The kids loved her. We had the angel food cake that I made for her (she was thrilled with it), decorated her tree, and looked at all of her beautiful angels. You know she could remember every year that each angel came from. I learned so much from her. When we were leaving she asked for us to come over for dinner this Sunday. She may be a double amputee, but she gets around very well. And her house was just magnificent. In my families eyes it was almost like being in a mansion. Also I will be picking her up for our Christmas Dinner. I am so glad that I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday.

Ann

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:55am
post #23 of 46

Thank you for giving an update! Good to know it went so well. Congratulations on new friendships!

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 4:58am
post #24 of 46

I am so happy for you and her, I know you made her dream of a new friendship come true. Make sure you get a group picture and frame it for her, she will be so excited and display it with pride; get one for yourself as well. You were indeed her angel of mercy that day. May your holiday be blessed. Keep us posted on the visits.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:28am
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvincake

We went to the ladies house tonight. And I am telling you, I haven't enjoyed myself like that in soooo long. She is very sweet. The kids loved her. We had the angel food cake that I made for her (she was thrilled with it), decorated her tree, and looked at all of her beautiful angels. You know she could remember every year that each angel came from. I learned so much from her. When we were leaving she asked for us to come over for dinner this Sunday. She may be a double amputee, but she gets around very well. And her house was just magnificent. In my families eyes it was almost like being in a mansion. Also I will be picking her up for our Christmas Dinner. I am so glad that I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday.

Ann

Yahoo! I was hoping it would be a positive experience for all of you. Having her for Christmas will be very special too.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:39am
post #26 of 46

I read your initial post about the chance meeting in Hobby Lobby and was so touched by the whole thing. I think it is just wonderful that you have befriended one another. I'm sure that your kindness has made a huge impact on her life and yours too. Bless you and your whole family!!

Cindy

Molliebird Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:41pm
post #27 of 46

Thank you for your update. This was something that was definitely meant to be. I'm glad you shared your experience with us. I think this will be a friendship to last for both of you.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:12pm
post #28 of 46

I am just sobbing like a baby!!! That is the most awsome story. I absolutely LOVE helping people. I always think I know one day I am going to need help and I want someone to help me. Do unto others as you would want them to do to you. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! I will keep your husband in my prayers. My father in law is in IRAQ and won't be home until august so they say right now!!!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:11pm
post #29 of 46

Oh my, what a heart wrenching story! I can't stop crying! icon_cry.gif Thank you so very much for sharing. It has touched my heart like you will never believe.

Ann, it is my belief that your meeting the lady was through divine intervention. You both have touched each other in a mighty way that will prove invaluable. Just when she thought you were sent for her it could be that she was sent for you. Your angel. Please keep us posted whenever you can on your new found relationship especially the Christmas visit. It is sure to be a blessing to everyone involved. What a true "Touched by an Angel" story!

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and your husband while he is away in Kuwait.

May God Bless you all!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:42pm
post #30 of 46

I got goosebumps reading your story! icon_cry.gif I believe that everything in this world happens for a reason. I believe that you were meant to be there in the store at exactly that moment. Someone else suggested that you are each others' angel. She is your surrogate grandmother and you are her surrogate family. Enjoy your time together!

Happy Holidays and God Bless you!

Vicki usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%