Where To Get Sps

Decorating By TxAgGirl Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm by SazzyG

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:47pm
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955

........ Are the 13" SQUARE PLATE Item #: W302-1063 used with the 4" SCORED GRECIAN COLUMNS -BAKERY CRAFTS® /12? In other words are the square plates part of the SPS system?
Thanks,
Susie

Bummer, I just ordered this morning. I had written to the company but didn't wait until I got the answer. Leah told me they would work but am told now that they won't. Leah I know you were assuming they were SPS plates but in my post I said the SQUARE PLATE Item #: W302-1063.
The company emailed and said I needed Bakery Crafts columns with their square plates.
Now what do I do? I don't want to place another order somewhere and pay for MORE shipping charges.
Susie

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #62 of 81

Leah, I can't thank you enough for those wonderful directions! ***looking for a kissing/hugging emoticon****

I recieved my plates yesterday and know exactly what you mean about the centering.

Susie, I got square plates and they fit fine...not sure what happened to yours icon_confused.gif

Now, I can't wait to build my cake, which is this coming Friday. I'm VERY excited about the possibility of cake success and less anxiety...almost too good to be true. LOL

susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:09pm
post #63 of 81

[quote="crazy4sugar]
Susie, I got square plates and they fit fine...not sure what happened to yours icon_confused.gif [/quote]

I was told by the oasis people that the Item I posted below the plates will not work with the SPS columns. The plates are page seven here :
http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/Products.asp?CategoryID=65
they are down a little over half way.
Product ID: W302-1004
Product Name: PLATE 7" SQUARE
Unit Price: $2.50
Qty: 1
Ext. Price: $2.50

Product ID: W302-1047
Product Name: PLATE 11" SQUARE
Unit Price: $4.15
Qty: 1
I'm thinking that these don't even go down INTO the cake.
This is what customer service wrote to me:
No they are not the right columns for those plates. In fact Wilton is discontinuing the scalloped square plates. They are coming out with smooth edge square plates, next month.
You have to use the Bakery Crafts columns with their square plates.
IF any one has 4" bakery craft columns, pm me. icon_smile.gif
Susie

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:55pm
post #64 of 81

Breaking the Oasis code, when an item number begins with a W, assume its a Wilton product. When an item number begins with BC assume its a BakeryCrafts product. I've been told by people who have used both Bakerycrafts and Coast that those parts are not interchangeable either.

So you need some 4" columns? Of course I have some. I buy 20 bags at a time. PM me with your personal info.

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:11pm
post #65 of 81

Can someone post a picture of what this system looks like? Or is there a picture on the web somewhere? I am trying to imagine this and can only come up with those columns that are tapered at the end that you push into the cake and place a plate on top. Is this it?

leah_s Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:25pm
post #66 of 81

Oh definitely not those unstable Wilton tapered columns. blarg. If you go to www.BakeryCrafts.com and do a search on SPS a picture will come up, but it may not make a lot of sense either.

susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #67 of 81

Leah,
Thanks! I just PM'd you.
Well at least I will be able to see why SPS is so neat after I use the BakeryCraft ones too. icon_smile.gif
Appreciate it,
Susie

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #68 of 81

Yeah, my square plates are Bakery Craft; I'm always wary of interchanging brand names icon_confused.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:06am
post #69 of 81

OK, just to clarify--SPS is a system of interlocking plates and columns.

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #70 of 81

Maybe this question has been answered but..... what is the need for the multi piece columns? Do the original style from BC work the same as the multi piece? Leahs you are the expert here but your description doesn't mention the multi column set do you us the original or the multi? BC seems to be great but what made you choose this brand? Price, quality, ease of use or...?

Pfeil & Holing have a similar set they are a wholesaler like bakery crafts but I think their prices are a bit better? P&H have a new sets out this year that are very classy solid acrylic columns in gold or silver glitter along with spiral & twisted variety. Love them! So if you need a column cake instead of stacked these are my first choice over the hideous old fashioned Wilton or the plain BC! www.cakedeco.com

I love sps systems in fact my favorite so far is from a Ebayer that was selling off the last of their cake store. The system has square notches instead of round were the plates & columns meet while the rest of the column is round . Any ideas what brand these may be? They work very well for me because they can be sawed to the needed size with little scoring marks the bottom of the column just like the bakery crafts columns, actually they look like BC with the exception of the square notches. My cakes are never the same size, one week they may be 4 1/2 the next they could be 6 in tiers so it's nice to be able to saw to size.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:35am
post #71 of 81

The multi piece columns is used when you need space between your tiers (not stacked). My cakes are exactly 4" high, so the GC-4S works perfect for the stacked cakes. If I need separation between the tiers, I go with the multipiece.

I use an Agbay like Leah. She's much busier than I and has the deluxe version, I just have the regular one blade version. I just baked a couple of cakes tonight. Bake them in my 2" Magic Line pans, level them to 1 13/16'" for buttercream, 1 3/4" for fondant, then torte them in half, about 7/8" each.

It's so much easier to just make the cakes exactly the same height, plus they look so much better.

leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:12am
post #72 of 81

To quote myself:
To make a cake with separations, just use taller legs. The legs come in 9" lengths and a multi-piece leg that can be 5", 7" or 9" depending on the number of extensions you use. You push the legs down thru the cake, creating air space/separation between the tiers. No plate will be sitting on top of the cake.

I choose this system for several reasons:
-the peg on the plate that grabs the cardboard above, I believe makes this system superior to Coast.
-cost
-sturdiness
-ease of use

You can certainly saw the SPS columns to size for a 6" tall cake tier. Just order the longer columns and they are scored in 1/2 inch increments for ease of cutting and measuring.

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:38am
post #73 of 81

Thank you for explaining the multi vs original, I have used various sps so I understand the concept. The multi piece system just seems odd when you can cut at the score marks, it makes more sense. Bush & Coast are 2 I use most but I will give BC a try. It does still seem to scary to transport a finished stacked cake, are you relying solely on the peg to hold the cakes in place? I trust this works but just surprised! icon_eek.gif I am a little transport shy since I did have 1 cake disaster when cut off by a biker & had to slam on the brakes to keep from turning him into a frosting streak! We always assemble on site.

Vdrsolo you did make me laugh too... I didn't mean my tiers were different sizes, but different each job icon_lol.gif This week I did a 6 inch cake next week might be only 4 since each job is different icon_biggrin.gif We do completely custom work so we need columns that can be customized too.

vdrsolo Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:46pm
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by weddingsbymindy

Vdrsolo you did make me laugh too... I didn't mean my tiers were different sizes, but different each job icon_lol.gif This week I did a 6 inch cake next week might be only 4 since each job is different icon_biggrin.gif We do completely custom work so we need columns that can be customized too.

I have actually seen wedding cakes that are 4.5 inches a layer, 3.5 inches a layer, maybe 4 inches another layer, that looked funny. Hey you never know, some people may think this is ok!! icon_smile.gif Sorry for the confusion!

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:11am
post #75 of 81

I'd love to know more about this system and love the idea of it, but when I tried looking on bakery craft you have to be a business. Bummer!

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:53am
post #76 of 81

SPS is available from oasis supply also.

SazzyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #77 of 81

Ignorant one here...what's an agbay please?

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:47am
post #78 of 81

The Agbay is the best, most fabulous cake leveler on the planet.

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #79 of 81

And I get one...........?

vdrsolo Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:50am
post #80 of 81

www.agbayproducts.com

It is awesome!

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #81 of 81