Where To Get Sps

Decorating By TxAgGirl Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm by SazzyG

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:37pm
post #31 of 81

Those are it Brandy I just ordered them icon_biggrin.gif

(isn't it fun to convert to something MUCH simplier? icon_biggrin.gif)

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #32 of 81

yes- I can't wait!!! I have to now go find that post where Leahs gives the play by play for how to consruct your cake with these!!

thanks so much!

BCo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:42pm
post #33 of 81

darn- I have another question - these plates are reusable right?

thanks again

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:44pm
post #34 of 81

Yep so make sure you get your SPS back...IM gonna guard mine with my life icon_biggrin.gif

Hey not regarding the SPS but your pic....are you really really tall or is Duff average in height or short?

BCo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #35 of 81

LOL- no I'm short - I'm only 5'3" and I probably had on tall shoes (I have a short complex and like to feel a little taller!! hee hee)!! So with my shoes I was probably 5'5" - 5'6". So guess the answer is -he's really short!!! Well - at least I consider 5'6" - 5'7" short for a guy! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:50pm
post #36 of 81

I used to try to get my SPS plates and columns back. For the last couple of years however, I charge a $20 equipment fee for wedding cakes and then no one has to return anything. Easier.

They are reusable, though if you do get them back.

Ony time I saw a bride (not one of mine) selling her set on Ebay. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #37 of 81

Leah have you had any mishaps using this system? Like during transporting a fully stacked cake?

BCo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:54pm
post #38 of 81

Ok- good to know - so that's an option and a good idea to charge the fee if I would think it would be easier then trying to get them back - but for now I'll guard them and make sure I get them back!!! Thanks again!

and that's funny that the bride was selling them!!! hee hee

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #39 of 81

I'm confused. How can you only charge $20 and NOT ask for the plates and columns back when it looks like you could spend that on only one plate?

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #40 of 81

The plates and all didn't cost any more than 10.00.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #41 of 81

I must be looking at the wrong thing then. So - still confused! icon_confused.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #42 of 81

On an earlier post I pulled the prices off the oasis website for a 5 tier cake and before shipping the cost for the SPS was $15.

You may be looking at SFS--totally different system.

I moved a four tier once, completely stacked. I just don't like to lift that much any more, cause my back isn't what it used to be. I do move three tiers stacked frequently, though.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:55pm
post #43 of 81

Thanks for the info Leahs I can't wait till I receive the system!!! icon_smile.gif

I was also pleased that they carry chefmaster colors in large bottles icon_biggrin.gif

edited to ask are the legs the screw in kind.....just set the plate and all down in the first cake? (I ordered it and don't know anything about it icon_surprised.gif )

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #44 of 81

The legs don't screw on, they push on with a tight fit

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:07am
post #45 of 81

The legs don't actually screw in, but they still fit really tight. And yes, assemble the plate and legs as a unit then push the whole thing into the cake. After marking it of course.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:02am
post #46 of 81

So what is the system with the screw in legs... That's what I thought this system was?

Is it the SFS?

So I put the cake on the plate then take cake legs and all and set them down on the bottom cake?

vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #47 of 81

The SFS (Stress Free Support) System does have screw on legs. The plates are made out of stainless steel with stainless steel threaded "pegs" I'll call them. The support legs then screw onto these pegs. There are various hieights you can get. Each size supports give you about .5"-.75" of height to play around with. The nice thing to this system is that you can raise and lower these legs as high or low as you want. It is a very nice system, I have seen it and met the people who make it. But the huge drawback for me right now is the price. It is very expensive and you would need to pass that security deposit onto the bride. Some people are just not going to pay that deposit.

I currently use the SPS (Single Plate Sytem) from Bakery Craft, that's what Leah and I are talking about. I typically use the 4" columns on my stacked cakes. Once my cakes are leveled, torted, and iced. My cakes are exactly 4" high. If I needed the legs shorter, they would have to be cut since they push on, and do not screw on like the SFS. I actually charge a deposit and get them back since I want my bottom support board back anyway. It's not a large deposit so they are not out that much if they toss it.

vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

So I put the cake on the plate then take cake legs and all and set them down on the bottom cake?

Finish your bottom cake.
Assemble the plastic plate and 4 support legs.
Put those into the bottom tier.
Set your next tier on top of the plastic plate (there is a nub that sticks up on each plate in the center, you need to make a hole in your cardboard before you decorate your cake)

wgoat5 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 7:07pm
post #49 of 81

Thank you sooooooo much for elaborating on this icon_smile.gif

I fully understand how it works now.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions that is very kind of you!!!

vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #50 of 81

no problem, that was just the short version, do a search on leahs's posts and she has the more elaborate, detailed version!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:21pm
post #51 of 81

I was on the http://www.oasisupply.com/ site and planned on purchasing the plates/pillars. I pm'd Leah and she answered my question but I have another and don't want to bother her. icon_smile.gif She is a great helper.
They show some SQUARE plates. Are the 13" SQUARE PLATE Item #: W302-1063 used with the 4" SCORED GRECIAN COLUMNS -BAKERY CRAFTS® /12? In other words are the square plates part of the SPS system?
Thanks,
Susie

leah_s Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #52 of 81

Yes, SPS plates come in round, heart, and square shapes.

And you can PM me anytime.

susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:01am
post #53 of 81

Leah,
Thanks, I didn't know if the square ones that Oasis has were the right ones because of the W302-1063 number.
I think you may have talked me into joining the SPS crowd. icon_smile.gif
Thanks again,
Susie

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:30am
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

... do a search on leahs's posts and she has the more elaborate, detailed version!

Sorry, I couldn't find the link for Leah's instructions.

I think I've got it; it seems pretty straight forward but I'd still like to see the whole detailed post. My order from Oasis comes in the mail this week thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #55 of 81

Hi, thanks ladies for all this great info! I need to look into this and get me some!! Just one quick question, do you recommend any plate in specific? I was looking at the frosted crystal, are all the same? All good?
Thanks so much!!

vdrsolo Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Hi, thanks ladies for all this great info! I need to look into this and get me some!! Just one quick question, do you recommend any plate in specific? I was looking at the frosted crystal, are all the same? All good?
Thanks so much!!

It will depend on your design. Most of my wedding cakes are stacked and the plate isn't seen, so I just get the white ones. I've never even looked into any other.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:56am
post #57 of 81

Thanks vdrsolo!!! I guess it makes sense!

susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:54am
post #58 of 81

Ok, I just did it. I ordered the SPS stuff. icon_smile.gif You gals are SO VERY convincing. icon_smile.gif
I hope I got everything I needed.
Thanks,
Susie

leah_s Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:08pm
post #59 of 81

I saved this as a document . . . icon_biggrin.gif

SPS offers several different heights of legs. I use the GC-4s which is four inches tall. I bake my cake so that I can torte them (with my Agbay) to 7/8" tall, and with filling (4 layers cake + filling) all my tiers are 4" tall. That way I don't have to cut the legs. It is possible to cut the legs, but it's best to keep it simple and bake to height.

To make this easy to visualize, let's pretend you're doing a 6/10/14 tiered cake. Prepare your 14" cake on its base board as always. Take the 10 inch plate that has a little peg in the center of it and use the peg to poke a hole in a 10" cardboard. Use a skewer to slightly enlarge the hole in the cardboard. I always remove the collars from the underside of the plate and throw them away. That will make more sense when you have the plate in your hands. Use the ten inch plate to mark the top of the 14" cake for placement (centered) just like any other system. Next, jam the legs into the plate. They fit really tight. Now, push the plate and leg assembly into the 14" cake.

Place the 10" cake on the cardboard with the hole and prepare/decorate as usual. Use the 6" plate to punch a hole in a 6" cardboard and enlarge the hole slightly. Use the 6" plate to mark the top of the 10" cake. Jam the legs into the 6" plate and push the plate assembly into the 10" cake.

Put the 6" cake on the 6" cardboard and prepare/decorate as usual.

Now for assembly.

You should be looking at two cakes that have plates on their tops. Pick up the 10" cake with your hand or spatula, whichever is more comfortable for you. Place the far side of the cake board anywhere past the peg on the "receiving" 10" plate (which is sitting on the 14" cake.) Sliiiiiiide it into place, which means get the hole in the cardboard onto the peg. You'll hear a satisfying little whoosh. Repeat with the 6" cake.

Cautions: Always poke a hole in the cardboards first. You'll only forget that step once.

If you have put your plate and leg assemblies in centered, then you cake will be centered.

Always push the plate and leg assemblies into the cake before you stack them. The pushing can sometimes cause a blowout when the cake is already partially stacked.

You can carry a stacked cake easily, assuming that you can lift it. I have carried a four tier completely stacked. Went in the back of my SUV, through the back hall at the venue, up the freight elevator and down the hall and into the room. No problem, although we were really ready to put it down.

It's better to bake to the height of the legs. The legs aren't the easiest to cut (because they're sturdy) but you can cut them with a saw. Band saw or chop saws work best. Really, just make the cake 4" tall.

To make a cake with separations, just use taller legs. The legs come in 9" lengths and a multi-piece leg that can be 5", 7" or 9" depending on the number of extensions you use. You push the legs down thru the cake, creating air space/separation between the tiers. No plate will be sitting on top of the cake.

This system was developed for bakeries that don't offer delivery. It's made for consumers with no experience moving cakes, so you guys should be fine!!!

susies1955 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:19pm
post #60 of 81

Leah,
Your last post is being printed right now. I even added your info on the left with name/photo/ etc. icon_smile.gif I'll never want to forget who got me hooked on SPS. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%