No Justice In This World...now I'm Sure Of It!

Lounge By JodieF Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 4:38pm by JodieF

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 31

A little background. My family comes from a smallish town. My maternal grandparents were amazing people. My grandfather ran an insurance/real estate business that was open for over 100 years (my great grandfather started it). They were absolute role models in this town, volunteering on the School Board, Library Board, very involved in their church. There wasn't anyone that needed help that they wouldn't help. Basically, great, well loved and respected.They had 2 children, my mom and uncle. My uncle "worked" for my grandfather, but pretty much wanted to golf and do whatever. When my grandfather had a stroke, my uncle seemed to step up. He took over the business, put in long hours, really grew up. My grandfather died 3 years after the stroke. My grandmother, who owned 1/2 the business, trusted my uncle, her SON, her then 48 year old son. Two years after my grandfather died, my uncle declared bankruptcy and disappeared from town. The nightmare started. The police showed up at my grandmother's apartment and told her they were siezing all her assets....jewelry, bonds, everything. Her bank accounts, stocks and bonds were confiscated. Turns out her son slipped in papers signing over everything she owned to him, without her knowledge. She was left with nothing but her social security. As the weeks went on, we found out that he took peoples insurance premiums but kept them, so they had no insurance. That included the fire department and the church where he was head usher (and my grandparents had attended for 60 years). He took taxes and social security about of the secretary's check, but never paid them to the goverment. She had been with my family's business for 40 years and was part of the family. The list goes on and on. It was horrifying. My grandmother almost died of shame. Everything he owned had been changed to his wife's name, so none of it could be touched. My grandmother wouldn't press charges, which I'm sure he counted on. He moved to Florida and made himself a new life while my mother spent the next 13 years buying clothes and groceries for my grandmother. My mother took care of everything and didn't see a dime out of what should have been a quarter million dollar estate. When my grandmother died, my mom paid for her funeral.
The IRS didn't go after him because my grandmother's money paid his debts. Basically, he got off scott free. Because my grandfather had sold their insurance for over 100 years, the Insurance Company covered everything my Uncle stole from thier clients.
Anyway, my mother just had a a newspaper article mailed to her. My Uncle won a flippin' lottery! He took home 1.2 MILLION dollars! How is that possible? Where is the justice in this world???? How could such a horrible person have something so wonderful happen?

I'm sorry.....I had to vent or I was going to explode. tapedshut.gif

30 replies
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 31

WOW icon_eek.gif What a story!!!! Its like one of the episodes on 20/20. Well, in life I have learned that "what goes around, comes around." I know it may not seem like it now, but there is something to be said about bad karma and you can bet he will see his share of it sooner or later icon_twisted.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 31

oh... my... god... the lottery????

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 31

Holy cow! What a horrible person. Your poor grandmother and mom. I hope he gets some punishment in this life although it may have to wait until he dies. Good thing he's used to the heat in Fl because it's a lot hotter where he's going. icon_evil.gif
Sometimes winning the lottery is more of a curse. I hope everyone he knows tries to swindle him out of it.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 31

yeah isnt it a statistic that most lotto winners end up filing for bankruptsy.........

you can always hope for that!

JodieF Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 31

I'm sure he has somehow justified everything he did to himself or he couldn't have lived with himself all these years. The ONLY thing that could make me feel better would be for him to turn that money over to my mother. Let's not all hold our breath until that happens though. icon_mad.gif

Here's the press release. Feel free to find my Uncle and do whatever you think is appropriate to him.

http://www.flalottery.com/inet/currentNewsContent.do?searchID=194407

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 31

Wow, he really has no conscience. He is dead to it. That cannot make the people in his life happy either - unless they have no conscience either. THen they're not happy anyway. No joy in deadness. However, I can pretty much guarantee you that he feels dead inside. Nothing will satisfy him. He doesn't know love and sacrifice. He has no blood family now. And, he probably never will because he will most likely never ask for forgiveness.

Your mother and grandmother are very special women, the ones worth looking up to. They have shown graciousness, compassion, empathy, duty, and honor. $$$ can't buy that.

I'm sorry that the bills were what they were. Nothing I said can take away from the terrible stress and strife that he caused. But, I just wanted to say how strong your mom and the rest of the family have shown themselves to be.

Bless you!

S.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:39am
post #8 of 31

OH! I read something a few weeks ago on CNN about a woman who had won the lottery and ended up having to give it all back because they determined that the money she used to buy the ticket with was gotten by fraud. .....If you can actually prove all that you said above and alert the lottery people, I bet he'd have to give it back!

JodieF Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #9 of 31

I would love it if he would have to give the money back, but this all happened over 20 years ago. Any statute of limitations would have been up a decade ago. Nope.......he's gotten away with it all, and now he's been rewarded.

I cannot begin to express how wonderful my mother is and how wonderful my grandmother was. No one could give me a better compliment than to say I took after them. That's what made it doubly hard when I had to watch the devastation he caused. He even had the nerve to come to my grandmother's funeral. No one would speak to him. He is a true sociopath. He knew his mother could never take action against him, so he took her for everything she had. My grandparents worked so hard their whole lives and she spent her last 10 years of her life having to depend on my mother and dad, both teachers who didn't exactly make a fortune.

I can only hope that there is an afterlife, and before he's sent to h*ll he has to go face my grandfather first!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #10 of 31

hhhmmm, Jodie maybe the statue of limatations isn't up yet? You never know --my uncle's a lawyer and usually where there's a will there's a way. Can usually pin something on them --no matter how small-- to bring light to the subject.

He'll get his in the end! Eventually, and Lord have Mercy I hope it's coming soon.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:03am
post #11 of 31

I hope that scoundrel chokes on his 1.2 million! What a SHAME. His day is coming. I am a firm believer that what comes around goes around. It will, maybe not today or even next year but he'll get what's coming to him! that is awful to do to anyone but your family? Oh and yes, he's straight to hell. NO passing Go and NO collecting 200$$. Sorry to be so forward about it but i have ZERO pity for people like that! Kudos to you and your family for being the better person. Now that comes with a handsome reward!

(scoundrel
Function: noun
Text: a mean, evil, or unprincipled person )

Elle

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:01am
post #12 of 31

He plans to retire from the Salvation Army!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
Just about choked on that one.

So sorry for your grandma and mom. No one deserves to be treated like that...and by family too. thumbsdown.gif

mommachris

KlyKat Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #13 of 31

The Salvation Army...hmmmmm icon_confused.gif I wonder just how much he swindled them for???? K'ly

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 31

I've heard so many times how large amounts of money will ruin your life. (I personally, haven't been given the opportunity to try that out!)

Anyway, I bet he is miserable on the inside! I'm sorry your family had to go through all of the pain he caused.

JodieF Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:20pm
post #15 of 31

My Uncle is a great guy......always volunteered and worked for charities. He was head usher of the church, a volunteer fireman, a paramedic....a fine upstanding man! Except for the fact that he ripped them off! icon_evil.gif I'm sure the Salvation Army down there should have been checking it's books! It is pretty ironic.

This was just a terrible blow to us. On Friday my only sister had surgery for metatisized cancer. My mother didn't need to know he won that money. I don't understand why we had to find out.

Thanks for all your kindness. It does help to feel your anger over the situation.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 31

who sent your mother the article?

.....I would think winning the lottery has open the IRS doors to him now....and maybe its all about to bite him in the tapedshut.gif ....and the winning the lottery is just part of the karma plan icon_wink.gif

JodieF Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 31

The person who sent my mother the article still lives in Hillsboro and grew up with my mother and Uncle. She knows everything that happened! I can't imagine why on earth she thought my mother needed to know about his windfall. I guess is was in the local paper.

As far as the IRS is concerned, his debt was settled with my grandmother's money. They would have no reason to go after him. The rest of her money went to pay his bills, loans and credit card debt. We figure he's socked away a bunch of cash, transfered everything he owned into his wife's name and had himself set up for a nice new life. It didn't matter much that my grandmother lost everything she had and that his sister was going to be left trying to support their mom. icon_evil.gif

It took us years before we stopped thinking about him. Now it's all back again.

KlyKat Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 31

Jodief---I am truly sorry all this heartache had to surface once again for you and your family. But rest assured that I bet his life has been a living hicon_evil.gif and will continue to be. I really don't understand how a person (a man) could leave one's own mother in such a state and never think about the harm and heartache he has caused icon_mad.gif K'ly

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 31

I'm so sorry that this has all opened old wounds. You and your family have suffered enough. May God give all of you peace and strength to put it all behind you again.

And, you never know what God has in mind. By giving your uncle this windfall, he may be tempting him with something that will be his downfall.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 31

Well I always say Karma is a b*$! He will get his either in this life or the next. Trust me his is coming and what he did to your grandparents will pale in comparison to what he's got coming to him.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:05pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

The person who sent my mother the article still lives in Hillsboro and grew up with my mother and Uncle. She knows everything that happened! I can't imagine why on earth she thought my mother needed to know about his windfall. I guess is was in the local paper.

I'm sure it was harmless. She probably thought that you guys needed to know in case there was something that could be done, but I see your point in it bringing up the painful past and at the worst possible time.

JodieF Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 11:38pm
post #22 of 31

I really appreciate all of your support. This has just hit us very hard. I think the worst thing is thinking that he might consider this lottery win a reward for his life. icon_mad.gif He's never thought he was wrong about anything. He's so undeserving......it's just horrible.

JodieF Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #23 of 31

We got bad news after my sister's surgery. Her cancer is stage 3, she'll need chemo and radiation. My mom is already paying her bills to keep her family going.

Why couldn't my mom have won money? She is the loveliest person. This never is going to end for her..........

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:16am
post #24 of 31

Jodie, I am so sorry about your sister. I will say a prayer for her quick recovery, also for your family.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #25 of 31

JodieF, first of all, I will keep your sister in my prayers. Believe me your uncle won't be as happy as he may think. Google "curse of the lottery," and you will find that winners seem to have more bad luck than good. We all reap what we sow in life so his day is coming. Your mother is a wonderful woman.

KlyKat Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:29pm
post #26 of 31

Jodie---I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I just said a prayer for you and your family and will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Ya know, sometimes life truly seems so unfair. Like we are always getting the raw-end of the deal. Like the bad stuffs never going to end. But, everything happens for a reason. At the time you may not understand that reason, but all the roads in life that we take no matter how twisted and bumpy they may become we end up right where we are suppose to be. Somehow, someway it'll all work out like it's suppose to. K'ly

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

My Uncle is a great guy......always volunteered and worked for charities. He was head usher of the church, a volunteer fireman, a paramedic....a fine upstanding man!

SWEETIE HE WAS A GREAT PERSON, i'm thinking he passed is ALONG time ago.

as for you posting the article, i was already on my way to looking when i realized you had.............hump, lotto to help the FL schools, what a croc.

sorry about everything that's happened to your family icon_sad.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

JodieF Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:47am
post #28 of 31

daltonam.....*S* Believe me, I was being sarcastic. He's never been a good man. he has no heart or soul. There's no way someone could deliberately ruin his own mother and have a shred of anything good in him. He never even sent her a Mother's Day card or a birthday card after he ran down to Florida.....couldn't be bothered. My grandmother would write to him, begging for money.....he never would accept her mail....always sent it back. My mom found every letter my grandmother wrote to him in her desk after Granny died.
I did have to laugh though.....my sweet Mother had always said that she'd let my Uncle be buried in the family mausoleum, because she thought my grandparents would have wanted it that way. After this she said he's gonna have to pay that quarter of a million back or no burial for him!

I really do appreciate all your empathy and your prayers for my sister. We are trying to hold onto hope very tightly, knowing that there can be wonderful outcomes.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:13am
post #29 of 31

I know often times it seems like all the wrong people get all the breaks in life but you know what? One day your uncle will have to stand in front of his maker and will be held accountable for all the horrible things he's done in his life. That 1.2 million dollar jackpot isn't going to mean anything then. So sorry to hear about your sister. I know this wonderful community will continue to hold her up in prayer. Keep the faith my friend!!!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #30 of 31

What was he doing with all the money he was stealing? Did he have a gambling problem, or drugs? Or was he just saving it up? Have any of you spoken with him after the lottery winning? Maybe he will have some conscience and repay your grandmother.

I'm so sorry that you have had to go through all of this. Scams on the elderly are the worst crimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%