2 Months Have Passed... I Think I Can Finally Talk About It.

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 7:41pm by travelingcakeplate

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #1 of 52

I did my 3rd wedding cake in July, and it was my first Topsy Turvy cake. I made the topper months in advance, I was so excited and so prepared... and than all HECK broke loose.

First warning sign and it was my own fault for moving forward - the bride and the groom didn't get me the money until 48 hours before the wedding. So now I have to bake and decorate a HUGE cake in 48 hours PLUS 4 sheet cakes. I should have stuck by my contract, something I always tell myself I'll do, but always give in. thumbsdown.gif

Than the cake decorating store near me won't sell me all her Satin Ice, I need 20 lbs she has 22 lbs... and doesn't want to be out til her next order comes in. So now I have to make my own fondant. icon_cry.gif

Than my internet goes down and so now I don't have access to the tutorial on this site. So I'm doing it from memory. And I'm rushed.

I have to do a 6,7,8 tier, and 8,9,10, and a 10,11, 12 inch tiers. Each tier is a different flavor.

I'm going to keep this short and simple but let me put it this way... it was the hottest it has been all summer, and 98% humidity. I have my a/c at 65 and it won't keep my house cool. My top tier was perfect and than my husband dropped it. I rebaked it and it came out... somewhat okay. The middle tier cracked, but I held it together with frosting, got it covered in fondant and the next AM it was cracked, and had fallen apart.

The bottom layers cracked while they were cooling both times I baked them

I ended up baking 18 cakes, none of them worked out. I was trying up until 2 minutes before I Was supposed to deliver the cake. I ended up having to borrow money from my mother to get more ingredients, which still didn't work. I ended up delivering a top tier. Never even got to make the sheetcakes.

Oh, did I mention I gave the bride and groom a 700 dollar discount in the first place?

I walked away from the venue, had a panic attack and ended up in the hospital. At first they thought I was having a heart attack, cuz even my EKG was all funkedfied.

This is also my husband's assistant manager, so we have to deal with her ON A DAILY BASIS.

I haven't baked a cake in 2 months. I still cry when I think about this.

Because of circumstances behind it all we only had to give them 100 dollars back out of 500.50.

And now I'm not doing wedding cakes for a while.

The End.

51 replies
lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #2 of 52

Holy crap ((((((((hugs))))))) Good for you for getting back on the horse. Coming back here means it's not out of your system just a bit shell shocked.

Good to see you back thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Leigh

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:50am
post #3 of 52

Oh how terrible for you! I do hope that you are cutting yourself slack now though -- you truly did the best you could under the circumstances. Some days, those cakes just don't want to play nice -- or Satin Ice vendors either!

Good to know that you are getting back in there. Just remember to breathe and relax while doing it.

icon_smile.gif S.

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:51am
post #4 of 52

Oh i am so sorry (((((((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))! Dont let it get you down too much, i have not been doing this too long but am dreading a big disaster like yours i figure I just want to get it over with. But i would have been just as frazzeled as you but get back in the saddle and show everyone how good you are!!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:55am
post #5 of 52

when it rains, it pours huh? wow...

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:55am
post #6 of 52

Who the heck ever invented those topsy turvy cakes anyway? I can understand once for a gag, but they're an absolute fad, and they drive me crazy.

I don't know how you ever made it out of the hospital? I'm having sympathetic depression just reading your horrible story.

Make cakes you enjoy.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:01am
post #7 of 52

I am SOOOO VERY SORRREEEEY!! That just sucks. icon_sad.gif

I had a panic attack when the fire alarm went off early one morning, but I stayed out of the hospital. I hope you stay out of the hospitals from now on!!

Your Wedding cake on your site is very nice. Sit back, relax, and enjoy life. Bake a cake that is fun, silly, and easy.

And grab your own big fork and dive in! icon_smile.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:02am
post #8 of 52

All I can say is (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))!

Kathi

meriscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriscakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:02am
post #9 of 52

Oh goodness! This is just one of those things that's going to take a while to get over...I know the feeling, that's for sure. But THANK YOU for sharing. I'm going to print this post and use it as a reminder when I have a late or last-minute final payment (wait a minute, that didn't sound very nice, but I promises it's a good thing!). And we truly learn from our mistakes, and I know you are going to be richer for this experience!

Good luck, and may you make beautiful cakes for many years to come.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:18am
post #10 of 52

Oh, I really feel for you! I had my first set of attacks shortly after my mom passed away. Talk about the feeling of terror! I can so sympathize with you on that!

I also had my first cake disaster recently, but luckily it wasn't for a wedding and it wasn't for a paying customer (it was for my cousin's baby shower). Her cousins were able to get a replacement cake from a bakery.

I can't even imagine all the stress you went through, but you survived and I'm sure you now know why you need to stick to your guns -and your contract. You're not Superwoman and should not have to be forced to do the nearly impossible Herculean task of making a wedding cake so close to the deadline!

Sending {{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}} your way!

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:32am
post #11 of 52

* big hugs !* I am so sorry dear. I can't imagine. This is why I don't think I will ever do a real wedding cake.

hugs chin up it will get better !

Monica

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:11am
post #12 of 52

Gosh what a nightmare for you, but at least you survived. Like others have already said, bake yourself an easy, fun cake and regain you're confidence. Don't give up.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:49am
post #13 of 52

My word! What a terrible series of happenings....all on one cake! Everyone has "that" one, that they look back on and shiver...this will be your's. Now, that you have "that" one out of the way, carry on with your decorating happily. All will be better.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:02am
post #14 of 52

Awww...that stinks. A big hug to you. I think most of us can sympathize with you on all levels, even the panic attack. They can be very scary.
And I thought "funkedfied" was a word only I used!!!! Made me smile when I saw it.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:07am
post #15 of 52

Wow. A big hug for you, that is all I can say.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:23am
post #16 of 52

You were so kind to let them pay you at the last minute. I would never have been that generous. I have seen too many horror stories in the forums about people who pay at the last minute, and people who don't pay at all, after the supplies have been bought.

Kudos to you for being so nice to them, but next time, adhere to a contract that states that all money must be paid within 2 weeks of the event date, or all deposits are non-refundable.

Here's a big hug from me, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:30am
post #17 of 52

yes lots of ((((((hugs)))))) for you. I guess at some point everyone goes through some kind of horror, but that's just awful. But chin up you will recover and you'll be better than ever.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:37am
post #18 of 52

OMG...that is a story. So sorry this has happened to you.

With time you will okay and get back into the swing of things. You know what, just remember that it is just cake and no-one got harmed.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:47am
post #19 of 52

What can I say that has not already been said ? Just know we all feel your pain....... ((( HUGS ))))

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:01am
post #20 of 52

Rachel,
I am so sorry that this happened to you. I have to say though you are to talented to stop decorating cakes. I wish I was there so I could give you a big hug! Don't let this get you down, learn from it and they will be better than ever. I have faith in you, you just have to believe in yourself again. Take a break and I know you will be better than ever!!
Faye

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:20am
post #21 of 52

This is why I have made up my mind to only do topsy's in styrofoam and cake in sheets. They are a PIA even then so I refuse to do them in cake as I would have to charge a price no-one around here would pay. I feel your pain and hope you are feeling better. ((((HUGS))))

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:26am
post #22 of 52

It says so much about what a wonderful spirit you have that you perseved through it all. You kept trying and gave it your best effort. That's all that can be asked.

A huge HUG and I'm Proud of You!! thumbs_up.gif

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:32am
post #23 of 52

I am so sorry that you had such an awful experience. Try to remember that it is now in the past. I think everyone has given you great advice. Somebody said if you were totally done with decorating, you wouldn't have come back to this site. So, welcome back---you are not done, you have only taken a break. Also, someone else (I think GI?) said that maybe you should just try to make a fun cake to get back in it. I think that is a great idea too. I wish you so much peace. And, like everyone else, I'm sending you big ((((((HUGS))))).

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #24 of 52

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. Those cakes are a PITA and I wish we could have been there to help you out...as a group! I would be mortified to say the least and I'm sorry (because I know you are still dealing with it) but I feel horrible for the bride too! This was just a terrible situation all around. I hope you are able to tackle a new project and it is executed perfectly to boost your confidence back to where it should be. Hugs!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:45am
post #25 of 52

Don't stop doing wedding cakes because of this. Change HOW you do them.

Stick to your guns and get a contract. No money, no cake. That simple. Rushing is not a good thing and your experience bears that out.

You tortured yourself and in the end had to refund money for a discounted cake. Not good business.

You have gotten plenty of hugs, I'll send you one as well but also will give you a dose of reality. You created this situation by allowing your client to dictate how things went. I understand that you wanted to complete the job but the fact that you haven't made a cake in months shows me that the time you spent was not worth the end result.

This is supposed to be fun and exciting. Putting yourself under that kind of pressure is not fun or exciting.

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:49am
post #26 of 52

This must be the summer of topsy turvy disasters!!!!
I had my first cake disaster in 10 years about a month ago it was a topsy turvy cake also.
I blame the humidity. Its the only thing different about any of the other topsy turvy cakes I've done. icon_mad.gif
Good Luck in the future! thumbs_up.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:57am
post #27 of 52

Oh I am 100% in agreement with you IHateFondant and I will NEVER do this again. I am going to get a tad more experience before I tackle a wedding cake again. But I am not going to never do wedding cakes again.

I felt bad for the Bride too. The entire ceremony and everything was a disaster too apparently, it is so horrible. Their marriage is struggling too and I feel sad for them.

Rachel

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:11pm
post #28 of 52

mrsright41401,
I am so sorry to hear about this horrible experience. I think I'd probably react exactly like you did. Lay low and take it easy on yourself. Then when you're ready get back to doing what you enjoy and stick to your contracts with NO EXCEPTIONS!! Also, no more $700 discounts?!?!!

Take Care of Yourself!
Carol

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:22pm
post #29 of 52

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:25pm
post #30 of 52

First I so totally feel awful for you and am so glad you are still gonna bake and not let this hold you back.
Now, who the heck pays for their wedding cake 48 hours before it is to be delivered? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif
That is uncalled for and not fair or right to you.
It cost you your sanity, your health and money!
I am sorry their ceremony was so off but this does not excuse the abuse you endured trying to do your best.
I am not even going to get into the 700.00 discount! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%