This One Is A Doosey!!! Can It Be Done???

Decorating By suesweet Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm by therbug

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 18

A customer placed an order for an anniversary cake. She wants the husband's and wife's initials (J&K) to stand up and lean diagonally into each other. She wants them to be about 8" in length. I've attached a model I created. So....what do you think? Can it be done? And, how much should I charge?

Please Help!!!
LL

17 replies
yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 18

Does she want the initials made for the topper or are they to be made from cake. Urgh!!! Wishing you luck with this one.

The only thing I can suggest is if she wants the initials made from cake to pm Doug for help.

Calling Doug!!!!!!

Good luck with this, let us know what happens.

Cheryl

suesweet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 18

C'mon, anybody else???? If anyone can help me, I know a CCer can.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:26am
post #4 of 18

ands his vote to JayKe's great advice in the other thread

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 18

You cannot make those initials out of cake.

Period.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 18

I think it would be fun to try. I'm sure you could do it- they might have to lean a little back more.

Maybe make the "stand" with shaped masonite boards. use a L bracket on the backside of the bottoms- bent in a little more so they are leaning back alot more than upright. Then put a block between the top of the boards and screw each into it. Make your cakes on shaped foamcore. Use pound cake- and cover it with fondant. I wouldn't use a filling unless it was buttecream. 8 inches is really not that tall- so it really wouldn't be that bad at all- that's like a two tiered cake. Deliver them flat and prop thm on the stand at the venue. Except for the top right arm of the K, the letters are bottom heavy anyway- so it should be fine.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 18

Well if you manage it, I'd like to see a picture! Perhaps I should have said 'I can not make this' - LOL !

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 18

What if you made them from rice crispies - really big, and put them on a cake! Still edible - but more stable?? icon_confused.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 18

I would think if you used a nice dense pound cake with no torting you could do it. Perhaps make a separate sheet cake with filling for serving.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 18

i'm not sure if she wants all cake of just something with the initials , but it she doesn't want cake why don't you just make it out of like royal icing or something . and if its cake then you might be able to just use a light cake like angel cake and dowel it million times into a board then stand them up against each other and getting the 2 board to hold against eachother is up to you b/c i'm lost lol
gl

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 18

TO ME RICE CRIPIES IS THE WAY TO GO!...THAT LOOKS LIKE TROUBLE!

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 18

Is that the only thing she wants? Could you make them out of cake, placing on foam core cut to the shape, cover in fondant and then lean against a small tiered cake inside. Just an idea.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

I think it would be fun to try. I'm sure you could do it- they might have to lean a little back more.

Maybe make the "stand" with shaped masonite boards. use a L bracket on the backside of the bottoms- bent in a little more so they are leaning back alot more than upright. Then put a block between the top of the boards and screw each into it. Make your cakes on shaped foamcore. Use pound cake- and cover it with fondant. I wouldn't use a filling unless it was buttecream. 8 inches is really not that tall- so it really wouldn't be that bad at all- that's like a two tiered cake. Deliver them flat and prop thm on the stand at the venue. Except for the top right arm of the K, the letters are bottom heavy anyway- so it should be fine.

This sounds like what I was thinking of. Something like Duff and his team of "engineers" would do. lol A bit of non-edible building before any cake is even baked. I think it's all in the supports and boards.

Good luck and don't forget to share whatever you decide to do.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

LOOK AT THE ANGLE OF THE CAKES...CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THE CAKE IS GOING TO STAY IN THE BOARDS???

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 18

Styrofoam letters or rice crispies covered with fondant is the way to go. You can make sheet cakes to serve or you can make a couple of smaller cakes to match the design to place on the table.
Good luck.

AmandaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 18

just a note- be careful with rice krispies...humidity is a killer. i found that crushing them first and using a bit more marshmallow helps. Pack it really tightly then freeze it before you cut it. It should be durable.

suesweet Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 18

So, here it is. Not my best cake, but it is what the customer asked for.
LL
LL

therbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therbug Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 18

WOW you did it! I would have never even attempted it! Well looks good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%